Page 1 of 2
I want a tube amp So I was coming here to get thoughts. Te amp I own now is a Crate GTD65 and its just ok. I hear that tube amps are the best amps but that you need to buy effect pedals for them. I mostly play Metal (COB, Metallica) So what effect would I need. Im a big noob when it comes to guitar stuff so I need a lot of help lol. If you tell me what to get can you please show me a link of what your talking about. Thanks
A Crate V8 is probably the best amp you can get that is all-tube and has a gain control. Pair that with a ZW Overdrive, and you should have a decent metal sound. Also try out the Fender Super Champ XD if you get a chance, it has built-in FX and EQ voicings as well as normal tube amp circuitry.

EDIT: Sorry, no links atm. PM me later if you want em, my computer suxx right now.
Well, it's not a tube amp, but I think a cube would work well for you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
go away.
save more money.
come back.

nothing you buy in that price range is going to give you the sound you're looking for.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by JOn`
go away.
save more money.
come back.

nothing you buy in that price range is going to give you the sound you're looking for.

This.

Am I the only one getting tired of people asking for tube amps when they have like no budget?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
This is the thing.... if you can save up 300 bucks... then you can save up more. It might take longer to get an amp but atleast you'll get the one you want and be able to keep it for years without needing another one! So I wouldn't try to go cheap and get whatever you can get by with. And tube doesn't always mean better esp if it doesnt have the tone you are looking for. And if you are into high gain amps then you aren't going to able to be satisfied at 300 bucks. I don't know where you heard you have to buy pedals for tube amps to make them better... you don't... i use no pedals maybe an overdrive sometimes. YOU want an amp with a good lead channel from what you said you want to play. Save up 600 atleast and get you a bugera 333xl... at the least.
Quote by jambi_mantra
This.

Am I the only one getting tired of people asking for tube amps when they have like no budget?

nope....
what tires me more is when people recommend amps with no gain + a boost, just because they're tube.

christ, recommend something useful like a Line 6 Flextone.
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by qotsa1998
A Crate V8 is probably the best amp you can get that is all-tube and has a gain control. Pair that with a ZW Overdrive, and you should have a decent metal sound. Also try out the Fender Super Champ XD if you get a chance, it has built-in FX and EQ voicings as well as normal tube amp circuitry.

EDIT: Sorry, no links atm. PM me later if you want em, my computer suxx right now.

The crate v8 is a great amp but it isn't a metal amp and you can pair it with distortion pedals and overdrive pedals but it still isn't going to give that metal tone you're probably looking for. Sounds like this guy wants a high gainer.
Depending on where you live you can get a decent amp for around $300. I picked up a Peavey Delta Blues for $350 and a H&K 20 watt Edition for $360. Both off of craigslist. I see the Crate VC3112's go for under $300 fairly often.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msg/815349959.html Traynor YCV80 for $350
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/msg/813584282.html That B-52 will go for $350
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/813684908.html That VC51212 will go for $350
My Delta Blues will go for $350 since I have decided to part with it.
Just making a point. Depending on where you live - you can do pretty well for $300-400.
Look used, be patient. Good luck.
Sorry If I know nothing about tube amps its not my fault. I came to you guys for suggestions not for people to tell me to go away and get more money. I have more than $300 I just wasn't sure what price ranges they come in. Are Roland cube 60's any good for the sound im looking for?
right, i don't know why, but every time i try to post my extensive reply to this thread, internet explorer crashes.

actually, i do know why, it's because windows is a pile of cack...can't wait to get my mac back.

anyway...i'll update this post when i've managed to find a way to get it to not crash.
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Don't use internet explorer. That's cack. Windows is fine.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
yeah, get firefox/opera.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by JOn`
actually, i do know why, it's because windows is a pile of cack

That's probably the dumbest explanation for having problems with a browser that I've ever heard.

Anyway, first off you don't need effects pedals just because you have a tube amp. I'm not sure where that idea came from. Secondly, it'll be hard to find a suitable metal amp in that price range. Figure out how much exactly you're willing to spend, then repost and more suggestions will come.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by jambi_mantra
This.

I'm equally as sick of people asking for amp advice and everyone recommending low budget tube amps - kinda even things out eh?

TS: If you're not going to be gigging with it then check out the Crate V8 and grab a nice OD pedal to boost it.
^Did you just say you're tired of people recommending low budget tube amps, then recommend a low budget tube amp?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Did you just say you're tired of people recommending low budget tube amps, then recommend a low budget tube amp?

He did

And I never recommended him a cheap tube amp. So I don't get why you're pointing it out. I tend not to either, because they're usually pants. The only one I tried and liked is the Classic 30. Apart from Laneys, which I recommend because I have one, and have tried many others and are just recommendable in most cases. Especially in the UK coz they're dirt cheap for what they are.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Sure hope he wasn't talking about my post. I think of those as good tube amps cheap, not low budget amps.
vibrochamp = metal
i think not

get a cube or vypyr for metal
My Gear
-Dean ML Xt w/ Dimebuckers+Pearlygates. Tune-o-matic bridge
-Amp: Vypyr 75
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
OK I will spend anywhere from $450 or below so $450 is the max. I dont know what to look for in amps. I see how many watts it has then judge it on how many watts which I know is the wrong thing to do. What is a good way to learn what to look for in amps?
I would get the blackheart little giant i have the 5 watt half stack i have had for about a year and i love it and because it is 5 watts you would think it is not loud but i just played with my friends and it got over the band fine i thought
Since you stretched your budget to $450, your best shot would probably be a Peavey Valveking, or possibly a used Peavey 5150.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by mitchell14
I would get the blackheart little giant i have the 5 watt half stack i have had for about a year and i love it and because it is 5 watts you would think it is not loud but i just played with my friends and it got over the band fine i thought

Hey Mitch, good to see you on the forums

But, I don't think a Little Giant can do Metallica or COB.

I say save up your cash and get something like a Randall RG50TC or a Bugera or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^+1...those seem like good options.

is $450 you max now for everything? The VK can do Metallica no problem but if you play more modern metal then listen to some of these guys. Dark, gregs and TNfootballfan make great points.

an Epi, or Blackheart, or SuperChamp, or maybe even that Crate will struggle to do modern metal imo. A used amp off of Craigslist may be your best bet however I guess now I'm not sure what part of the world you live in. Do you jam with a drummer? What is your favorite song/band to play?

later,
I just play by myself and dont really have a favorite song to play. What should I look for in amps because I dont know which ones are good.
if bedroom only you have some good options in this thread:

Crate series (V's are on sale big time)
Roland Cubes (great option for bedroom use with SS distotion presets)
Peavey Valveking used
Peavey Classic 30 used
Peavey 5150 used
Randall 50TCs used
Bugeras?
B52?
Peavey Vypyr maybe?

make yourself a Long list. Use search engines. Try before buy. Narrow to short list. Play. Profit.

can you play any of these somewhere or are you strictly internet?...it's a toss up otherwise. Again, check craigslist no matter where you live as you can always use it as a guide. Musical Instruments / and then amps or amplifiers
I am mostly only internet. I have a guitar Center nearby but they never have any of the amps im looking for
Quote by SharpShoot3r07
I am mostly only internet. I have a guitar Center nearby but they never have any of the amps im looking for

Do you have a decent craigslist for your area? Try looking there for some of these amps. That way you can try before you buy.
I dont prefer craiglists because I dont want to have a problem with anybody and I like to buy things brand new so I know there were no problems in the past.
New amps have problems too bro. I played a new DRRI and the vibrato wasn't working last weekend. But it's your hard earned cash to do with however you please. I have had nothing but good experiences buying used. I can't see where you would have a problem with someone because of it but do what YOU feel comfortable with. In your case, buying new greatly reduces your options tho.
So what would be the best amp to get a COB and Metallica sound and which effects. Also what makes a guitar amp good?
Dude...you are sooo close to Bugera 6260 head. $49.00 more and you are THERE! With this amp you need ZERO effects...but it will take 'em very well.

This is for the head only...but sheesh...You are very close to a great sounding tube amp.

Otherwise...you may not be happy with what you get or you're gonna have to go used to get that crazy, liquid tube saturation.

Read thru this thread a bit and learn a lot. Not just about Bugera...but about tube amps in general.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845438&highlight=bugera

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2