Ok, so i was taking guitar lessons, but I had to quit because of the money. Now i am still very interested in guitar, and need to teach myself. I need you recommend some books or dvds or things like that, that will help me self teach myself. Preferbly things that youve tried out yourself. What I really want to do is to eventually be able to right music, so what i am really looking for is some material that explains things very well, and is easy to understand, and will teach me how to right music by myself, and has exercises so that i can build up my speed and techniques. The styles of music i am into is rock, punk, and a little bit of metal.
well, for the technical part i can say ive learned alone with zero lessons at all, what i used to do is pick some songs i could play, but were a bit hard, and practice them so they would get easy, and move on to songs that were a bit harder, i even learned to play some stuff i didnt like just for technique sake...its a "slow" way to learn, but really fun =D

as for theory i cant say much, i only got far on theory to write songs when i got teachers, but you should be able to find something right here on ug, there are hundreds of lessons
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by the_extremist00
well, for the technical part i can say ive learned alone with zero lessons at all, what i used to do is pick some songs i could play, but were a bit hard, and practice them so they would get easy, and move on to songs that were a bit harder, i even learned to play some stuff i didnt like just for technique sake...its a "slow" way to learn, but really fun =D

as for theory i cant say much, i only got far on theory to write songs when i got teachers, but you should be able to find something right here on ug, there are hundreds of lessons

1st installment of Josh Urban's Crusade articles This is the best theory series of articles I have read so far. He makes theory simple and fun.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Any DVDs from Guitar World. What i'm using right now is there Beginners Guide to Hard Rock and Metal. It's pretty decent.
Anything you need you can find for free on the web. UG has some great lessons and articles. Youtube has some good videos too (beware, a lot of crap ones too).

And as the_extremist said, just pick some easy songs you like and start learning them. Then move on too harder and harder songs.
Quote by Enclose
Anything you need you can find for free on the web. UG has some great lessons and articles. Youtube has some good videos too (beware, a lot of crap ones too).

And as the_extremist said, just pick some easy songs you like and start learning them. Then move on too harder and harder songs.

The web is the only book you need... well... mostly
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar