My Ibanez has 11-49's on it right now, I was wondering, if 11's will be too tight on a 25.5" scale guitar. They are also like 4 months old, so do you think they will snap?
i have 11's on my strat in standard and they work well.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by T!AN
11's are fine on that scale in standard, but four month strings are bad in any situation.

Agreed. Unless you didin't play the guitar much in the four months, it wouldn't matter too much if you kept the strings cleaned, etc. Also would depend on the strings (manufacturer).

I've got a friend that plays 11s all the time and he's got an Ibanez. Don't know the model, but it's a good number of years old.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Aug 27, 2008,
Trust me, you can go MUCH much higher than 11's on a 25.5 scale guitar in standard tuning without the strings breaking. You just might have to adjust a little at first, but you'll get used to it.
no, its not too tight, unless it turns out to be too tight as to wat u prefer
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
I wouldt say its too tight for anyone.

I personaly use a wide variety of bends from halfs, to fulls, to full and a halfs and also a lot of legato and other things of the sort. Its personally too tight for muah, but i use 11s on my acoustic guitar in standard (would use higher but back of neck is severely weak) And they work good with that.
Its all coming down to how tight you want your strigs to be.

Now if it was something rediculous like 16s then i would say too tight.
I'm playing on a 25.5" with .012, .016, .024, .032, .044, .056 tuned CGCFAD and I feel like I play with wet spaghetti... when I first got a set of these I tested them in EADGBe, and the tension was awesome, like rocks... but what can I do. Any bigger won't fit in the nut and the .56 barely sits in the saddle lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
It won't cause any damage or anything, but you may find your sustain and the guitars' reaction to subtle playing dynamics drops if you're using strings like that in standard E tuning on a 25.5" scale.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i play a strat with 11s (the ones that also have larger than normal wounds) tuned to concert EADGBE.

i like to do a lot of bends and at this tension it does wreck your fingers. honestly if its possible with 9 or 10s, you can do it with 11s too.

the only issue you may have is the truss rod. i dont think mine can go any tighter and it just about covers it but i would prefer a little more truss tension.
Well, its fine on a 24.75" scale, i use ernie ball power slinky sets on my Fender Cyclone. So it should be fine on 25.5" necks too.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I have 11's on my Ibanez in standard. I had to drill holes for 2 more spring on the trem but it works.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I have 11's on my Ibanez in standard. I had to drill holes for 2 more spring on the trem but it works.

you had to drill holes???

how many springs did you have before? I thought trems had 5 holes to allow 5 springs - both my fenders have this.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I dont understand why people are always trying to put on strings as thick as possible. Ok, the actual 'tone' will improve a bit. But bends are harder, and its almost impossible to get your vibrato as good as with 0.009 strings. And, ok, i like tone, but i like a good vibrato and accurate bends more than that tiny bit of increase of tone or increase of sustain.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Blompcube
you had to drill holes???

how many springs did you have before? I thought trems had 5 holes to allow 5 springs - both my fenders have this.

It's an edge pro trem and only had 3 springs and 1 hole for each spring. I drilled 2 more holes where they would have been if it were a fender trem.

Quote by LP_CL
I dont understand why people are always trying to put on strings as thick as possible. Ok, the actual 'tone' will improve a bit. But bends are harder, and its almost impossible to get your vibrato as good as with 0.009 strings. And, ok, i like tone, but i like a good vibrato and accurate bends more than that tiny bit of increase of tone or increase of sustain.

I don't do it for the tone. I typically play acoustic and on my main acoustic sounds best with 13's and have learned to be very heavy handed with my strumming hand. Light strings requir a light touch that I just don't have.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 28, 2008,
i have always found them a bit tight on a 25.5 scale in standard tuning. i even find them a bit tight on some 24.75 scale guitars in standard tuning too.
i was playing 11-52 on my strat copy, no probs, not a fast setup but good for chords. thing is when i dropped to 9s, bending felt soooooooooo easy.
why not, srv used .14s (although sometimes he would have to put the guitar on the ground and stomp on the neck to get the screws back in place mid-show
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by LP_CL

Some of it is just comfort and what you prefer to feel ofcourse.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by LP_CL

Saying "bigger is better" is wrong. Heavier strings allow you to down tune and not play with loose strings hanging from the neck though. Try getting into CGCFAD with a set of .09's and actually being able to play something.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I prefer using 10s. No lower, no higher. I dont downtune to any really low tunings such as drop c and drop b that often. 11s work fine for playing in standard though, my brother has 11s on his kramer.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I think it's all preference. I play 12's in standard just because i like the feel. 9s feel so limp and wobbly.
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
Quote by T!AN
11's are fine on that scale in standard, but four month strings are bad in any situation.

unless of course they're elixirs or other coated strings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i have 12's and i go from drop d to drop c with ease on my guitar.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
i use 10-52. and it will snap.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I have two strats with d'addario 11s on them (.011-.049). They work fine, I haven't broken a string in years and never with the d'addarios. I had to add at least one spring to the trem of each strat but it wasn't a big deal. I also tune as low as Drop C on occasion and they hold up pretty well.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
Quote by CorduroyEW
Light strings requir a light touch that I just don't have.

i remember playing someone elses guitar with a lighter gauge than mine. . found it hard to tell whether i was actually fretting strings or not and the first time i tried a bend the damn string nearly flew off the other side of the fret board taking 4 others with it.

light strings - definitely for people far more accurate than myself. need something them to fight back a little to feel what your playing. dont like the metallic brightness of new strings either
and wich is the better caliber If I play
two steps lower(c) tuning and one lower(d) (this one more often) I also play standard tuning
Last edited by dante_3_16 at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by clear and blue
i remember playing someone elses guitar with a lighter gauge than mine. . found it hard to tell whether i was actually fretting strings or not and the first time i tried a bend the damn string nearly flew off the other side of the fret board taking 4 others with it.

HAHAHAAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA