Page 1 of 2
how do Hendrix, and many other great blues musicians play with so much soul and heart? how are they able to make their guitars talk with so much feeling?

does it come form solid practice, or is it something you are born with?
Cmaj9add4add6(b13)(b5)
they play with their penis.
I have no opinion on this matter.
A little natural talent, and a lot of work.

And listening to a lot of "Soulful" music. All Jazz musicians will tell you to become a good, you have to listen to a lot of Jazz. I imagine its just the same with all genres.
Wah pedals.
Drugs.
Being hippies.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
You just have to love what you do.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I actually don't really like Hendrix. =\

I may sound arrogant, but lots of the time when I'm listening to a bluesy guitar solo, there are parts where I think of something that I think they should've played, because of it would've been better. I'm not as good as them, but I still do that all the time.

EDIT: This isn't really the same thing, but I made my own version of "Little Wing", by combining SRV's and Hendrix's versions, and I honestly think that mine is better than theirs, lol. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but that's how I feel.
finesse. thats what its all about. thats what makes you a good musician and play from the soul imo..
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
do drugs and u will write super riffs that make ppl explode
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
pentatonics + slow vibrato = soul

yes it's that simple. don't let them fool you with their silly games!

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
I think a lot of practice is necessary, since you try to make the guitar an extension of yourself. To be this comfortable with the guitar, you gotta love playing and you have to play a lot so you can find out how to express your emotions thru music.
Saint Louis Blues
I've said it before and I'll say it a billion times more. To play with "soul" these days, you need to use lots of vibrato and bends. I'm looking at you, Dave Gilmour.

Playing with soul is the biggest load of crap ever. Everyone who plays guitar puts their soul into it if it's their passion, no matter what they're playing.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I've said it before and I'll say it a billion times more. To play with "soul" these days, you need to use lots of vibrato and bends. I'm looking at you, Dave Gilmour.

Playing with soul is the biggest load of crap ever. Everyone who plays guitar puts their soul into it if it's their passion, no matter what they're playing.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wf6G2warKA
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Exactly. because if someone has pure evil in their soul, devil worshipping metal solos will come out. if you have a bluesy soul, then blues will come out.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Its hard to pin down in words, it has a lot to do with the music your playing and just who you are and much the song means to you I think.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why do I hear Tenacious D's "Inward Singing" skit when I listen to that?

I was just appreciating the music for the soul because soul in my music is very important instead of very technical guitar wankery and I really like when people bend and do vibrato because it shows their soul.

.....Soul.
There is actually a mental state you can slip into. It is a lot like meditation. Once you slip into this state you are no longer really playing the guitar. You are speaking or communicating through the guitar. It is very hard to describe but sometimes it feels like you are no longer in control of what you are playing, the notes just come out of you. And it is not just the notes but the entire feel of everything you play. Every minute detail falls into place, everything from dynamics to vibrato and everything in between.
It is amazing.
Quote by InvaderTSN
I was just appreciating the music for the soul because soul in my music is very important instead of very technical guitar wankery and I really like when people bend and do vibrato because it shows their soul.

.....Soul.

ok, whatev... soul
Quote by frottage
I actually don't really like Hendrix. =\

I may sound arrogant, but lots of the time when I'm listening to a bluesy guitar solo, there are parts where I think of something that I think they should've played, because of it would've been better. I'm not as good as them, but I still do that all the time.

EDIT: This isn't really the same thing, but I made my own version of "Little Wing", by combining SRV's and Hendrix's versions, and I honestly think that mine is better than theirs, lol. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but that's how I feel.

You should post your version, dude, I'd like to hear it.

I agree that everyone puts their soul into playing if it's their passion, but to sound like Hendrix, Brian May, or SRV you have to know how to express yourself through the fretboard, which is something that just comes with practice.
I don't know. It's just a wonderful genre of music and one which I think is far better than most genres.

If you want to hear music with soul then try Christian rock. They definitely have a passion for what they're singing and playing about. The amount of passion you can feel at a Christian conference playing Christian rock is unbelievable.
Quote by irishstang_87
You should post your version, dude, I'd like to hear it.

I agree that everyone puts their soul into playing if it's their passion, but to sound like Hendrix, Brian May, or SRV you have to know how to express yourself through the fretboard, which is something that just comes with practice.

I would, but I have to get my amp fixed. If it's not completely ruined.
Quote by frottage
I would, but I have to get my amp fixed. If it's not completely ruined.

Damn, that sucks, what happened?
You can tell when someone's playing with soul...but you can't tell if someone isn't, if that's at all even possible.

I will say that when I'm playing in a Jazz Combo, looking at chord charts and comping, I'm not really playing with soul. Just following the charts and hoping not to screw up. When I play instrumentals or rhythm tracks or even copied guitar soloes, eh not really either (unless I'm really digging in).

Its the improv, or the original written material, that shows the most soul. It's not having to think about what scales, whether to stretch or tap, whether to hit that high note at the end or hit the low E string and tune down to the wanted pitch. It's just playing, smiling, orgasming (lol). It can be Govan fast or Gimoure slow (that Gilmoure plays some nasty shit sometimes, though, you gotta dig for that stuff), as long as it isn't robotic or strictly ordered.
They sell their soul to the Devil who makes them an awsome musician, until they turn 26 & die!
want proof?
Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Bon Scott, Van Morrison & Kurt Cobain all died at 26 among others that I can't think of at the momment!!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Last edited by gunners fan at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by gunners fan
They sell their soul to the Devil who makes them an awsome musician, until they turn 26 & die!
want proof?
Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Bon Scott, Van Morrison & Kurt Cobain all died at 26 among others that I can't think of at the momment!!

Wow. BB King ages quickly I guess. He looks older than 26.
Quote by gunners fan
want proof?

27*
Quote by InvaderTSN
27*

Nope 26 dude!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
it doesnt really take practice or natural talent. if youre just feeling what youre playing, youll know.
You have to have sex with ****ing gypsies!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by tyronelab
Wow. BB King ages quickly I guess. He looks older than 26.

B.B King is the Devils ghost rider & there for is working for his freedom!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Quote by InvaderTSN
No. 27.

No dude it was 26!
also
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Quote by irishstang_87
Damn, that sucks, what happened?

Whenever I play, it progressively gets more and more static, and then all of a sudden it's like B00MZ with epic crackly loudness, and I just turn it off.
Page 1 of 2