Ski'ing for the win
42 37%
i do both/ both are equivalently cool
25 22%
neither
12 11%
Voters: 114.
Page 1 of 3
i belive that there shuld be a leigion of those who snowboard/ski and apreiciate either or both. there is a poll that you guys can prefer, knowing the pit this could be a series of "epics". here we can discuss our stories and lores, dreams, gear, mountains, all sorts of cool stuff. so yea. if you dont snowboard or ski then ask questions or whatever you wana do. its kinda for everyone. so yea

me,
-ive been snowboarding for 8 years
-i havent really gone up untill the past 4 years
-i got to stevens pass
-ima park junkie, i also love freestyling on groomers (ima showoff)
-my boards are a 06-07 gnu riders choice 147.5 with magnetraction (its 10 cm short for me) and a 07-08 ride kink 152 that i use for rails and speed runs due to the wider base (much more stable than the gnu)
-i go to stevens pass as my home mountain in washington state. love it up there
and am apart of the stevens pass freeride team
-my fav trick is a cab 540 nice and fluidly slow and feels good to land in your natural stance
-im awesome at boxes for my experience, they make me happay.
-i really wana meet eddie wall and andreas wiig, theyre my hero's
-i really am annoyed at burton burton over pricing all theyre boards and products by atleast 20 percent of what an equvalent board from another manufacure would be priced at.
-i love forum, foursquare, special blend products and am kinda paranoid that burton bought them out.

(EDIT:no flaming over my comments on burton. or anything else, it resolves nothing.)

i have many other things to say but ill let you guys get to your posts
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Last edited by xFinnellx at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by DarkEra97
Step 1: Learn to spell the word "Legion" if you wish to create one.

edited...sry...
GAS list...
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
i ride a k2 WWW. the newest trick i landed pretty gravy was an indy 3.
that was last season tho

dude the k2 has such sick flex, its insane. i love special blend too..
well, before burton bought em
Gear List is too long to sig.

JOIN THE TRUMPET PLAYERS ALLIANCE!
Quote by Supertait
^yeah that would be the problem here, they're a few tiles short of a roof and wouldnt undertand.

Lol^^
I skied at whistler before.. I'm not that good, only skied about 6 times, but it's damn fun .
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I've been snowboarding for 4 years...

Best story i can tell... This one time, doin cross country near Pas de La Casa (Andorra), after spending all the day "freestyling" with a friend, there was this kind of half pipe and i thought I would do just a little 180 to start...

First try: almost fell.

Second try: almost fell.

...now I was getting mad, after all it was just a mere 180...

Third try: landed on the side of the board and my body was thrown to the center of the pipe (which was kinda frozen), this time landing with the back of my head causing my neck to bend like no neck should ever bend...

Result: 2 days without moving my head. After that, 2 months of ****ing CONSTANT pain...

Anyway, up until that moment, it was being a great day =)

[]
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
Quote by littel
that was last season tho

yea dude, i was bout to pick that between the ride kink. they were bout the same price and they were both awesome i piked the ride kink cuz it had a wider base and i was starting to go bigger with rails and stuff. but yea. indy 3's are amazing. im still working on grabs while spinning, i oliie a lot so i get a clean landing no matter what, wich in result means i lift my arms a lot so its hard for me to grab...
GAS list...
PGM 301
I freestyle ski, twin tips and all. I've been skiing for 12 years, my favourite thing to in winter, but can only do it a few months every year This is why it's my second favourite thing to do after guitar.
skied for 10 years almost every weekend in the winter
i have k2 silencers, all black pretty sick.
I'm an all mountain skier usually start on the runs or powder in the mornings and then go to the park later. My latest trick is a 360 indy (if it's called that). I've only skied at the small resort (sierra summit) near where I live, (about an hour away) but from what other people who have been to other resorts say that it is very nice for it's size.

I think I'm going to get the Vokl Wall this year since I outgrew the k2's anyone have comments on those skis.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
hmm, i know a cupple people up on the stevens teams that have the silencers...they really seem to enjoy them. my coach marni yamada (she boards and ski's) has those vokl's but she dosent comment about them because she is sponsored by them and has pretty much every single ski you could probably find from them.
GAS list...
PGM 301
I snowboard, I have a 07 Burton Blunt 155cm with Burton Freestyle bindings. I was rocking my Burton Tribute boots but I grew out of them now I need new ones for this year. I ride bush and powder a lot when I can. But living in Northern Ontario you don't get the greatest hills. By the way ts, its funny you like Forum/Foursquare/Special Blend and not Burton, because Burton owns all those companies. But I guess it's different because the companies are still operated separately.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
well, ive always have loved them, theyre team is now breaking apart because of burton. burton pays theyre pros with mass amounts of money, not for the fun. burton made snowboarding and now theyre starting to ruin it. im personally not thinking of buying another product from forum or any of the fourstar owned companies (four square, special blend, forum) just because fourstar pretty much dosent exist any more.

gnu boards are OMG!!! they are owned by mervin manufacturing wich is like 10 miles from where i live XD. i love libtech, they make the coolest stuff ever and they price it to the amount that the product SHULD be priced.

my bindings are 06-07 forum platforms, theyre AMAZING aswell. theyre slightly stiffer than ur normal park binding but they make you think about your stuff more which is good due to the response.

my boots are 06-07 DC Judges. those are awesome too but theyre getting quite small, SUPER comfortable. i love the air bladder thingy that fits your ankle perfectly. and it keeps your ankle perfectly inplace so it dosent rub around and give you blisters.

after the season i want to gather information on how forum and all those products have changed due to burton.

either burton baught them for theyre innovation, or just as an expansion of known burton.
GAS list...
PGM 301
my bindings are the ride lx's. theyre so sick.
im in love with them, wouldnt trade them for anything. i think they are like the 05-05's but i dont really know. theyre amazing tho.

im working on my 540's but i always catch my heel edge on the landing. man i cant wait for the season to start. throw down some butters.. yumm

Quote by Supertait
^yeah that would be the problem here, they're a few tiles short of a roof and wouldnt undertand.

Lol^^
Quote by xFinnellx

after the season i want to gather information on how forum and all those products have changed due to burton.

either burton baught them for theyre innovation, or just as an expansion of known burton.

i think they(burton) are starting to buy out the large companies because burton wants to STAY the biggest, and they know they simply arent the best anymore. plus when anyone thinks about snowboarding they think of burton, so if burton owns all kinds of different companies they will make more money. do you see where im coming from?

Quote by Supertait

Lol^^
Quote by xFinnellx
well, ive always have loved them, theyre team is now breaking apart because of burton. burton pays theyre pros with mass amounts of money, not for the fun. burton made snowboarding and now theyre starting to ruin it. im personally not thinking of buying another product from forum or any of the fourstar owned companies (four square, special blend, forum) just because fourstar pretty much dosent exist any more.

gnu boards are OMG!!! they are owned by mervin manufacturing wich is like 10 miles from where i live XD. i love libtech, they make the coolest stuff ever and they price it to the amount that the product SHULD be priced.

my bindings are 06-07 forum platforms, theyre AMAZING aswell. theyre slightly stiffer than ur normal park binding but they make you think about your stuff more which is good due to the response.

my boots are 06-07 DC Judges. those are awesome too but theyre getting quite small, SUPER comfortable. i love the air bladder thingy that fits your ankle perfectly. and it keeps your ankle perfectly inplace so it dosent rub around and give you blisters.

Or instead of gathering information on **** that won't get you anywhere you could just ride...

And chances are the companies bought are expansions of known Burton, considering they are a multi-million dollar company. Sure you can say Burton is just buying out companies for the money, but I'm pretty sure if you were in Jake Carpenter's shoes you would too. And just because Forum and Special Blend are owned by Burton, doesn't mean they are ran by Burton. They have their own committee and President and everything, so technically the people who work for Burton have no effect on how the companies are being ran. So I don't think you can blame Burton for how those companies are doing.

And Burton pays their pros with mass amounts of money because they can.

Edit Add: Also, when Burton was formed and in the earlier years they basically had complete control over the industry. So when they were so popular they made lots of money. Then once the sport grew more companies started to form, therefore they would buy them out so that Burton is still the number one company. It's not like Jake is trying to ruin the sport, which in my opinion he's not, he's trying to keep what he created alive.
last.fm
Last edited by jeff541 at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by jeff541
. It's not like Jake is trying to ruin the sport, which in my opinion he's not, he's trying to keep what he created alive.

He doesnt have to keep it alive anymore. he can sit back and relax and let things happen, but he doesnt. there are so many companies that are as dedicated to snowboarding as burton if not more dedicated, so there is no need to buy every other successful company out.

Quote by Supertait

Lol^^
Quote by littel
He doesnt have to keep it alive anymore. he can sit back and relax and let things happen, but he doesnt. there are so many companies that are as dedicated to snowboarding as burton if not more dedicated, so there is no need to buy every other successful company out.

I meant keep his company alive but okay.

I'm sure if you owned one of the biggest companies in the industry you would just let other companies take over... you know because that's what good business owners do No, he's obviously going to try to keep his company in good shape and not let other companies drown him out of the industry he more or less created.
last.fm
Quote by jeff541
I meant keep his company alive but okay.

I'm sure if you owned one of the biggest companies in the industry you would just let other companies take over... you know because that's what good business owners do No, he's obviously going to try to keep his company in good shape and not let other companies drown him out of the industry he more or less created.

i never thought of it that way. you just opened a new door in my mind. i will ponder on this and post tomorrow. g'night UG.

thank you jeff for a productive debate.

Quote by Supertait

Lol^^
its very un necesary. well, all i was saying is that ill let this next season come by cuz i dont really have any gear i would need. exept another pair of bindings that id probs buy used (you cant really go wrong with bindings), and theyre probs gonna be another pair of forums
the platform 1.8's
GAS list...
PGM 301
Quote by xFinnellx
its very un necesary. well, all i was saying is that ill let this next season come by cuz i dont really have any gear i would need. exept another pair of bindings that id probs buy used (you cant really go wrong with bindings), and theyre probs gonna be another pair of forums
the platform 1.8's

Its unnecessary to keep your company alive? Sorry to be a dick, but you are as sharp as a meatball. Imagine you were the owner of a multi-million dollar company and one of the four founding fathers of snowboarding. And then once snowboarding gained popularity, a bunch of other smaller companies start to grow. Of course you aren't going to want any of them taking you out of the business. Considering this business is what you do for a living and it's what you love. And I'm sure the owners of the smaller companies didn't mind getting bought out considering it probably gave them a pretty solid cheque, and they are still in charge of their company, just they are owned by someone else. The point I'm getting to is that you can't bitch and whine about how Burton is buying out companies, because Jake's a smart business owner.
last.fm
Quote by jeff541
Its unnecessary to keep your company alive? Sorry to be a dick, but you are as sharp as a meatball. Imagine you were the owner of a multi-million dollar company and one of the four founding fathers of snowboarding. And then once snowboarding gained popularity, a bunch of other smaller companies start to grow. Of course you aren't going to want any of them taking you out of the business. Considering this business is what you do for a living and it's what you love. And I'm sure the owners of the smaller companies didn't mind getting bought out considering it probably gave them a pretty solid cheque, and they are still in charge of their company, just they are owned by someone else. The point I'm getting to is that you can't bitch and whine about how Burton is buying out companies, because Jake's a smart business owner.

look man, with this debate/conversation i realized that jeff is correct. he has the right idea. jake is a smart guy. put yourself in his shoes. if you have an iq over 40 you will see it clearly. its not that complicated. dont be a punk with that anarchy- anti organization ****. if thats what you really feel then you need to grow up.

EDIT: and maybe im judging you too quickly but by your posts so far that is what your attitude seems like. dont get offended - just prove me wrong.

Quote by Supertait

Lol^^
Last edited by littel at Aug 28, 2008,
This season will be my 11th year skiing, and i ****ing love it. I try to ski as much as humanly possible, and last year are started to try some tricks. So far my best one is "get into the air." It's where you go off a jump and survive the experience lol. The best mountain I've ever been to was Whistler, and it was unbelievably awesome. When I'm at big mountains, I like to ski the alpine most of the time, just because bowls are awesome. I love alpine skiing, as well as lower altitude skiing. Glades are also awesome. Baisically I love everything about skiing, and I can't wait untill the snow starts to fall.
Quote by webbtje
I've lost my bovine virginity.

I'm not even going to tell you what that means.

I loves bagels!

Proud member of the Trivium fans group
Man I love snowboarding. Screw skiing, there's a reason they're called bitch-sticks :P It's all i do in the winter. i go to kicking horse and around here it's all about the pow. If there's no pow, then it's all about rippin' up the trees. Unless it's icy of course.

Got me a new 58 forum darkness and man does she ever glide! Don't you guys hate it when the seasons about to start and you have snowboarding dreams, making you wanna shred even more? Does that happen to anyone? Once i had a grizzly chasing me down untouched gnar then somehow I got it infront of me and I pulled off a tweak, hitting it in the face with my board. That was a sweet dream.
im not furious with them, which i know a bunch of people are. im just saying its kinda getting in the way.

in all, im just kinda annoyed, hearing people say burton this burton that. they make cool stuff all im saying is that im not gonna pay for that much. and i have a load of respect for forum, im just gonna see how they go this year thats all. not too much to worry about.

EDIT: really if you hear the tone of voice im in instead of the text im saying then youd probs say i wasnt flaming.

yes if i were in jakes shoes i would do the same but only to a point. i wana inspire new ideas
GAS list...
PGM 301
Last edited by xFinnellx at Aug 28, 2008,
SICK!!! I LOVE SNOWBOARDING!!!!

I've been boarding since I was like 13, 23 now, and skied for like 7 years before that.

I haven't been able to go that much since I joined the Army, so like the last 4 seasons have only made a couple runs Pretty disappointing. And since the last 2 or 4 season have been spent in a desert, I'm pretty mad.

I still own a Burton board It's like 6 years old though. Beaten up pretty bad. It's a Burton Motion 148. Once I'm out of the desert this time I'm gonna be getting me a k2 or gnu not sure, it's a ways away.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
SICK!!! I LOVE SNOWBOARDING!!!!

I've been boarding since I was like 13, 23 now, and skied for like 7 years before that.

I haven't been able to go that much since I joined the Army, so like the last 4 seasons have only made a couple runs Pretty disappointing. And since the last 2 or 4 season have been spent in a desert, I'm pretty mad.

I still own a Burton board It's like 6 years old though. Beaten up pretty bad. It's a Burton Motion 148. Once I'm out of the desert this time I'm gonna be getting me a k2 or gnu not sure, it's a ways away.

i still have my first burton motion 146 :]

Quote by Supertait

Lol^^
Quote by xFinnellx

.... in all, im just kinda annoying, .....

1. Somewhat yes.
Quote by xFinnellx

yes if i were in jakes shoes i would do the same but only to a point. i wana inspire new ideas

2. ...EST bindings? And if you have a load of respect for Forum, support them, instead of putting down Burton, which technically is Forum as well. I don't see how you can get annoyed from peoples opinions, like you said people going "Burton this and Burton that". Oh darn, people like a company.
last.fm
love snowboarding, just moved from michigan to arizona, worried there would be no snow, but there are mountains out here so should still work out

burton ftw
Ski-ing is so much fu**ing awesome!
it's nearly as fun as playing guitar!

edit:

The atmosphere in austria is better than in some other parts of the Alps (don't know the english word of that mountains lol
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
last time i tried to get off a lift on a snowboard, i almost crashed into a big group of people. somehow i wound up sliding at them, sitting on my board, with my one foot strapped in. :/
Quote by jeff541
1. Somewhat yes.

2. ...EST bindings? And if you have a load of respect for Forum, support them, instead of putting down Burton, which technically is Forum as well. I don't see how you can get annoyed from peoples opinions, like you said people going "Burton this and Burton that". Oh darn, people like a company.

dude really, why are we flaming over this, its notta big deal, burton JUST took over forum last year, big deal. its not like they have for the past 5. so its not burton this and burton that, im just saying that burton took over forum and i had a bad impression on them, so what. sure i wana try theyre stuff out, heck, my brother is a burton fanatic. im not crying over it, im just saying, well, burton does have a cupple flaws with them. theyre just slightly more noticeable than other company cuz theyre so huge.

est is cool and al but its not as sweet as banana tech or magnetraction. libtech i give creds for haveing the coolest innovations. ride and the slimewalls are awesome, rails own now with rides. est is cool cuz you can customize your stance more and reduce sum board weight.

oh and bubble wrap...
practice on the bunny hill with one foot, thats what i did and still do. and i love it, its so easy for me now. im even safe going switch in it even. its easyest to really push your foot down into your binding and on your board in that 45 degree angle...it works very well. twice as well with the stomp pads. i gotta cool studded one that i placed in the fashon where its next to the binding.
GAS list...
PGM 301
I has skiiz0rred for 11 years. Hooray for having two skifields within ten minutes drive of my house.
Every day

is exactly

the same...
Quote by littel
that was last season tho

Yes, god forbid Burton buy a company to prevent it from going out of business or being bought by a ski company.

EDIT: Damn, already been covered.
i go skiing each year, don't have any of my own stuff though.

yeah, i ski down hills, none of this fancy pants trickery
Stevens is pretty meh, Baker is where it's at. That being said I ride mostly non-groomed trails and generally stay out of the park so yeah, Baker is just more suited to me. Skiing scares the **** out of me TBH. I've never tried it but it looks scary as hell IMO.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I've been skiing a few times now, and I love it, but I want to go snowboarding in the future. I'm a skater and my mates told me that helps. I love snowy mountains. The hotels around them are so beautiful.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
I had one snowboarding lesson years ago, unfortunately there's not a lot of places to do it around here so..yeah
Page 1 of 3