So I got my mesa rect-o-verb, and while i am enjoying it overall, I am struggling with the new-metal hi gain tones that mesas are famous for. I have used the suggested settings and played around with them.

I am thinking the problem is my guitar, a 91 fender prodigy HSS that has relatively low output pickups as far as todays standards go.

Using the bridge humbucker and modern mode, I can get like a master of puppets type of tone, but thats about it. I am wondering what is holding me back from the modern hi gain tones, thinking it is the pickups. Normally people have the emg 81/85 type of thing for those tones, im thinking that may be what im lacking.

Any ideas?
EQ settings, I have used all the ones recommended in the user manual, as well as a few recommended on youtube.

Strings are probably like 4 months old.

Guitar cable is relatively new, this one is the combo version so it has a cable to plug directly into the 8 ohm out for speaker.
The speaker is a celestion C90 12".

Also, it is 2 years used and has been retubed.
Quote by dudey5691
That's more a classic-voiced speaker, but I'm sure it would be able to handle some nu-metal somewhat...

Just mess with the EQ, seriously. I know Mesas are mid-monsters, so don't go crazy, but maybe a bit more mids and bass will give you more oopmh...that and not maxing out your gain.

I believe the C90's are kind of like V30s with less of a mid spike IIRC.
Lots of people like them more for metal than V30s.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
You may have to turn it up to open up the sound a bit. Amps (any amp) at too low volumes is going to sound buzzy, compressed and bad at higher gain settings.

A Mesa Single Rectifier should have enough gain for any type of metal.
^ i'd change that to "most" amps. it's 1am and i'm jamming away in my bedroom. sounds fantastic.

ts, just keep messing with the settings, it seems like the tubes and cables are fine. with (series 2) rectos, they definitely gotta be turned up a little to get nice and thick.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Say Ocean
Get a maxon od808. Overdrive at 0, mix all the way up, tone in the middle. Problem solved.

Yes. Mesa's really do need OD pedals to reach the liquid sustain and gain levels you are used to hearing in them
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
I want one so bad. My friend was selling one, but decided to swap it with his brother for an AC30.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
my cable was kind of a run-of-the-mill cable, cheaper one, its fairly new though. Someone i talked to today pointed that out, does cable make that big of a difference?

Im basing my opinion here on most of the mp3 and youtube clips you can listen to of rectos on the internet.

Like this for example, i just dont seem to be getting near that kind of distortion/thickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLL3cy4MXk8
you havent left your wah on in the toe down position or something have you?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Wah pedal is not in down position haha.

How far up do you need to get on the master and output levels to get good distortion? I honestly haven't been able to turn the output level up that high.
Quote by Matt15f
Wah pedal is not in down position haha.

How far up do you need to get on the master and output levels to get good distortion? I honestly haven't been able to turn the output level up that high.
To be honest, the rectifier amps from my experience need to be like 11 o'clock or higher to sound at their prime.

With some high gain amps this isn't the case, and often times that's true, but rectos really do crave the volume.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Seriously, if you look at the vid, he's got a hot plate, he's probably cranking that thing pretty high.
Quote by Cutlass_253
Seriously, if you look at the vid, he's got a hot plate, he's probably cranking that thing pretty high.

Yup, and he's tightening it with an EQ pedal. Also he has EMG's for that hi-gain shazz, not that I'm a fan of them.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
uh.. most people use OD pedals with overdrive. really MOST guitarists. that's what you need. scoop teh mids if you're playing by yourself. with a band, dont do it. crank the gain to 10, treble up to like 8?, bass up to like 6?, presence at whatever you want. mids to like 2. those are the settings i have on my amp, and it sounds like a recto. maybe it's the speaker?
or old strings, or it could be that your guitar is a fender after all.

cables make a lot of difference. cheap stuff will not give you a good tone at all, not to mention adding extrea noise.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Cutlass_253
Seriously, learn to read.

Quote by Matt15f
my cable was kind of a run-of-the-mill cable, cheaper one, its fairly new though. Someone i talked to today pointed that out, does cable make that big of a difference?

Im basing my opinion here on most of the mp3 and youtube clips you can listen to of rectos on the internet.

Like this for example, i just dont seem to be getting near that kind of distortion/thickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLL3cy4MXk8
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Thanks for all of the replies.

After messing around with the settings more and taking a couple vids for comparison, I'm thinking my expectation vs actual is probably due to a combination of the factors mentioned in the thread.

One, yea Im using a 17 year old fender humbucker (lol, guitar dates to 91, i bought it around 95 but im assuming original pickups), it probably doesnt have the output an active emg does.

Two, yea its a cheap cable. Im gonna get a better one.

Three, I haven't been able to turn the output level up much. This is probably a big factor. I live in an apartment so this may be a bigger problem than I anticipated.

The other thing I noticed, when watching the vids I recorded vs the internet, is that the vids sound closer to the internet clips than my live ear. I am thinking the cheap mics (on digital cameras) compress the sound quite a bit.
Quote by rwalby9
Seriously, learn to read.

Uhhh...I read pretty well. I don't get what you're trying to say.
As stated before, your biggest issues are EQ settings and power tubes. Toy with your EQ (or a pedal) and get those power tubes cooking a bit (or use an attenuator). Rectos sound best cranked up a bit.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
As stated before, your biggest issues are EQ settings and power tubes. Toy with your EQ (or a pedal) and get those power tubes cooking a bit (or use an attenuator). Rectos sound best cranked up a bit.

Getting the power tubes up is my biggest issue right now, according to the manual the output level is basically the power tubes, which is the one i have to be careful with because of the sound. I should probably invest in one of those hot plates.
Quote by Cutlass_253
Uhhh...I read pretty well. I don't get what you're trying to say.
That's not his amp in that video. Unless you mean the video guy has his amp cranked really high, giving him that tone in which case, my bad.

But I still think its not the same as normal overdrive, where rectos really do need to be cranked loud.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Last edited by rwalby9 at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by rwalby9
That's not his amp in that video. Unless you mean the video guy has his amp cranked really high, giving him that tone in which case, my bad.

But I still think its not the same as normal overdrive, where rectos really do need to be cranked loud.

Yea, thats what I meant. I was talking about the guy in the video, he had the nice modern metal tone, and I was telling the TS that the attenuator probably had something to do with it.