I'm looking to buy a triple rectofier amp head. how necessary is it to get a 4x12 cabinet or 2x12? I plan on playing live/outside at decent levels. and are there certain cabinets that work best with mesa amps ,ie mesa cabinets? basicly I'm just asking should I really spend the extra on the 4x12. and should I buy new or used.
used will be cheaper. you don't need a 4x12 unless you really want some of the bassier tones it can provide. look at mesa, avatar, and orange. you'll probably want a cab with celestion vintage 30 speakers or some kind of equivalent with that amp. and do you really need a triple rec? you'll get more distortion out of a dual or single at band level volumes. the only thing a triple will get you is cleaner tones at stadium volumes.
For a 150 (?) watt head, you better be getting a 4x12 with at least 200 watt handling capacity.
Quote by al112987
For a 150 (?) watt head, you better be getting a 4x12 with at least 200 watt handling capacity.

+1 I recommend just getting the dual, even if you are playing outside. Dual + 4x12.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
1. With a Dual or Triple Mesa, you would be stupid to Not get a 4x12.

2. Dual and triple are the same amp, just different power ratings.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
You can pull two of the power tubes and a rectifier tube on the dual to get earlier break up, but you can't do that on the triple.