Page 1 of 2
After my post on the "Choose, NOW" thread (about tuning a 6 string F#-G) I started thinking it would be a cool thing to try out sometime. But I looked around (OK, not that hard, mostly just Musician's Friend and a few string manufacture's sites) And I could not find anyone who made a Low F# string (185 gauge, I think). Anybody know where I can find one?

Edit: Yes, I already know about the Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord. But, I don't have $2000+ dollars to spend and would rather have it in 6 string form for playing in standard tuning
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Aug 28, 2008,
Warwick makes them i beleive
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Wow you responded in the time it took me to post the edit
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I think he means that Warwick make strings with a low F#, but I think only in a four string. You should probably have a look at the Conklin site as well, they make lots of basses that are 7# strings, so one set is bound to have an F# in it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^ Thanks

I just looked at the conklin site. They have the strings, but it'll cost $70. I'll do it if there aren't any others available. (Also, this whole thing is semi-hypothetical. I'm just wondering If this is something I could do in the future)

Edit: ^ when I have more money
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Last edited by kugelspot at Aug 28, 2008,
There is another company who make 7+ string sets, I can't remember the name of the company, but I don't know whether they're cheaper than $70. Also, you could ask over at TB, one of the mods is an endorser (I think) of Conklin, so he would know where to get a good deal on these kind of strings.
Quote by skater dan0
Thanks. I'll try asking there if I decide to go ahead with the project
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
By the way, the mods name is John Turner (his username), so you could pm him directly.
Quote by skater dan0
Just so you know, have fun putting a 185 on a 34" instrument. Conklin tend to use 36" for any instrument with a low F#.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by fleajr_1412
I think he means that Warwick make strings with a low F#, but I think only in a four string. You should probably have a look at the Conklin site as well, they make lots of basses that are 7# strings, so one set is bound to have an F# in it.

Correcta-mondo
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
That low F# is something around 22Hz. The frequency band of human hearing is said to be 20Hz-20000Hz, so you're not really going to hear it so much as feel it.

Just a little FYI.
Quote by Amer91
I think using a bass string might work.

lol yeah maybe...
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Amer91

You know that this is the Bass Forum, right?
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by Amer91

I would hope.

through my experiences, twine doesn't get that punch and clarity a good metal string does.

welcome to the bass forum. we eat epiphones here.

bye!

you need a special amp for this. it's too low for modern bass amps.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
IIRC Warwick sells them individually online. You could possibly buy just that and use whatever strings you like for the other five. I had a similar idea to this a while back, if you do go through with this, please tell us how it works out.

The posters to this point are right though, it just won't work well on a 34" bass and you'll definitely need a special amp or a bangin' PA with an 18" sub. Don't think you're gonna sound any good with your Fender VI and 2x10 combo.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
^ I don't own a Fender Bass VI (actually I don't even own a six string. Remember, hypothetical). For the amp, would an SWR Big Ben work (I've thought about getting one after I upgrade my amp)?

As for the strings, I don't think Warwick sells them. At least, it doesn't say that on their website
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
^ I don't own a Fender Bass VI (actually I don't even own a six string. Remember, hypothetical). For the amp, would an SWR Big Ben work (I've thought about getting one after I upgrade my amp)?

As for the strings, I don't think Warwick sells them. At least, it doesn't say that on their website

I meant a Fender VI, not your, meaning that 34" scale won't work, much less a short scale. I guess that was kinda my bad attempt at joking.

And yes, the Big Ben would definitely help, but it's frequency response is still just above that fundamental F# at 21-ish Hz.

Realistically, the idea of a low F# is nice, but unless you have serious money to drop, it's just not worth it due to not being able to amplify it properly.

And about the website, are you sure you're at the right one? There's two different Warwick sites and one of them isn't up-to-date and has stuff just plain wrong.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by margeramann

21"? Holy crap! I didn't even know they made those
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Please, search bar this. You'll find many, many, MANY UG classic moments, and many celebrity special guest appearances. Seriously, search F#, and look for bass forum threads - especially ones I've made. But other than that, this has been done to death.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I tried. Nothing showed up.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Thanks Fitz, That really helped. Kinda funny how quickly the posts changed the second Jauqo started posting, though. I've also decided that if I ever go ahead with this I'll probably just get the Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord and keep it permanently tuned EADG. Partly because I've tried 6 strings before and they aren't that comfortable, and partly because I'm lazy, and it appears to be a great bass anyway.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
Thanks Fitz, That really helped. Kinda funny how quickly the posts changed the second Jauqo started posting, though. I've also decided that if I ever go ahead with this I'll probably just get the Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord and keep it permanently tuned EADG. Partly because I've tried 6 strings before and they aren't that comfortable, and partly because I'm lazy, and it appears to be a great bass anyway.

Do you mean tuning it down from F# down to E? If so... urgh. If you mean actual standard tuning, just get a normal Vampyre.
No I mean 1 octave down. That was the whole point of this.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
How about the SIT Jauqo Set?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
BTW its a .165 for the F# in the warwick set if im not mistaken... A .185 is HUGE!
Quote by Bass-man43
BTW its a .165 for the F# in the warwick set if im not mistaken... A .185 is HUGE!

It's .175. So, .180 should be ok for drop tuning it, although .185 would cope better methinks (using the down a step= +.005 to the gauge, but an extra 005 would help keep it tighter.
So the ".185" is a typo?

BTW, Does anyone have any experience with the dark lord? Preferably owning it?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I think Delirium is probably right. (EDIT: I mean about his previous post, not the last one) Still, has anyone here used the dark lord in that tuning?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by t3hrav3n
And about the website, are you sure you're at the right one? There's two different Warwick sites and one of them isn't up-to-date and has stuff just plain wrong.

I just noticed that part of your post. You were right. They do sell the Dark Lord Strings. Does anyone know where I can get some?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Online ordering is a safe bet, but try and find a dealer who deals with warwick and they could most likely get some in for you.
I can't find any dealers near me, but I found guy on Ebay who's selling them for $60.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
So the ".185" is a typo?

BTW, Does anyone have any experience with the dark lord? Preferably owning it?

Go to the Warwick UG profiles club - I wrote a playtest review on it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Page 1 of 2