Since I've got a promise from my parents that if I get good marks and get into uni at the end of the year I get a real good amp, I'm looking upmarket already.

I've long been interested in Bogner because some of my favourite heavy artists (Jerry Cantrell, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold (no flaming)) use them, as well as Mark Tremonti and a few others, but it seems that they can only be used for teh br00talz. Since I play alternative/grunge/shoegaze type rock, I want a good clean more than anything since I have my pedals for distortion.

Does anyone know if the Bogner Shiva is suited to my tastes?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i dont have alot of experince with the shiva, if you could link it would help. but bogner amps are SUPER expensive and make sure you tell your parents how much it is cause trust me spending 3k on a amp is a pretty big commitment.
My parents aren't normally wild about buying used but one of their friends has one that he said he'd be willing to sell to me for about $1500, and I have a cabinet.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
My parents aren't normally wild about buying used but one of their friends has one that he said he'd be willing to sell to me for about $1500, and I have a cabinet.

LUCKY SON OF A BITCH
Surely if you're off to Uni then dropping three grand on a Bogner is a huge waste? you're going to need the money.
No. The Shiva isnt what you want. Get the Uberschall. But if your looking at the best of the best, you must also look at other companies. Engl, Framus, Diezel,VHT.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
i would look into the ecstasy theres an amp that you will never sell no matter how much your musical taste changes
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Im pretty sure Coheed & Cambria have used Shivas at some point if that helps..
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
The Ecstasy is incredible and very versatile. Like the guy above me said you will never sell this amp because of musical changes
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Ubershall404
No. The Shiva isnt what you want. Get the Uberschall. But if your looking at the best of the best, you must also look at other companies. Engl, Framus, Diezel,VHT.

+1 The Shiva is like a tweaked JCM800. Sounds REALLY good, but not what the TS wants. I also agree though it's a waste if you're going to school. Anything (used Peavey, ENGL, VHT, Mesa, etc) is not going to be worth the money to put into it. If you ask me, you should spend the $1500 on college...
Uberschall might be a little to dark for what your looking for... Best thing to do is test it out and see how you like it.. I loved the one I got to play but I also like a dark metal tone...
It's not my money, it's my "congratulations on actually not f*cking up your life" present from the parents. I don't have $1500 to waste, and even if I did it wouldn't be going on an amp (more likely a car).

But since the bastard isn't waiting till the end of the year to sell to me, it's back to the drawing board. And yes, unless I get another visit from the rock fairies a Bogner, Mesa or anything of that quality is pretty much out of the question. Back to looking at ValveKings and the like.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
It's not my money, it's my "congratulations on actually not f*cking up your life" present from the parents. I don't have $1500 to waste, and even if I did it wouldn't be going on an amp (more likely a car).

But since the bastard isn't waiting till the end of the year to sell to me, it's back to the drawing board. And yes, unless I get another visit from the rock fairies a Bogner, Mesa or anything of that quality is pretty much out of the question. Back to looking at ValveKings and the like.

Have a look at the Laney GH50L/GH100L or VH100R. Great amps.
I'm confused, first you want to look at Bogners, then you shout and bitch and people because you don't have the money for a Bogner?
Chill, I'm not shouting and bitching at anyone. I'm describing the situation in the way that a Northlander does, which, yes, does involve its fair share of swearing.

My parents had told me that they'd get me a real good amp, and their workmate had an old Bonger Shiva head that he was selling so I thought I'd ask my fellow UGers what they thought of it. But today he comes to me and told me that he wants to sell it sooner and that he isn't waiting for the end of the year, and obviously my chances of finding a $1500NZ Bogner head otherwise are about as high as my chances of winning Lotto. So I'm back to looking smaller.
Quote by Cathbard
what kind of cab do you have?

please do not be the guy who sodomizes the tone of a Bogner by putting it through a cheap cab...
Sadly, I am that guy. I have an old Marshall cab that I bought for $100 from a neighbour's garage sale. But it's been sitting in the garage collecting dust for the past year or so. If I buy a combo next time, I'll just sell it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Sadly, I am that guy. I have an old Marshall cab that I bought for $100 from a neighbour's garage sale. But it's been sitting in the garage collecting dust for the past year or so. If I buy a combo next time, I'll just sell it.

If I were you I'd wait until you have enough to afford both the amp and a good cabinet.

Otherwise you will spend a few grand on the amp, plug it and and wonder why it sounds like ****.

The better the amp, the more noticeable a crappy speaker cabinet is. Of course, for all I know, the cabinet you're talking about could be decent. Unless its an MG/MC or AVT cabinet, it may not be too bad. The 1960 cabinets are overpriced but not horrible.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 29, 2008,
I can't afford the head anyway. I'm pretty sure its not an MG or AVT cabinet, but I may be wrong. I played a mate's MG head through it and I actually managed to get a half decent tone.
Quote by Cathbard
IDEA:

Have your parents buy the Bogner anyway...($1500...SHESH!) Have them hold it until the end of the year.

If you toally phuk up. They could sell it and prolly get a lot more than $1500...It would be an investment.
Quote by BeerChurch
IDEA:

Have your parents buy the Bogner anyway...($1500...SHESH!) Have them hold it until the end of the year.

If you toally phuk up. They could sell it and prolly get a lot more than $1500...It would be an investment.

+1

Any sensible parent I'd think would be more than willing to do this. Especially when you explain how great a deal that is and if you screw up, they could make quite a profit off it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
^^ how is that backstabbing a friend? Thats his choice to sell it at that price. + the kid would be holding the amp for a while. He'd prolly forget he even has it. I say buy it and see what happens!

Its kind of a douche move to have a friend sell you an amp at half the price just so you can sell it later to make a profit.

The reason why he would sell it at such a low price is because hes selling it to a friend.
The main intention would still be giving the kid the amp. If that wouldn't be reasonable, THEN it can be sold. Sort of a backup plan.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by al112987
Its kind of a douche move to have a friend sell you an amp at half the price just so you can sell it later to make a profit.

The reason why he would sell it at such a low price is because hes selling it to a friend.

It's not his close personal friend, it's his parents. Also he doesn't have to find out that he sold it for a profit. Indeed it is an asshole move, but we really can't tell the exact circumstances of either the seller or the buyer seeing that we have no idea who they are. Maybe the seller really really needs the money, maybe hes cutting the kid a break, maybe the amp has had horrible problems. You never know...