I'm looking for a metal pedal, at the moment I'm using a zoom 505 I think... And I HATE the distortion, it sounds so artificial...

So what metal pedals can you guys reccommend? I've been searching for the whole of last night and this morning and can only basically find the landmine, metal muff, uber metal and the metal monster....

What I'm thinking is... should I get an EQ pedal with one of the above? I think they all sound a little artificial though... The sound I'm looking for is kinda like meshuggah and lamb of god... Heavy but enough crunch for fast picking. What I've read everywhere is that basically for the best metal sounds I'm going to have to get a really good amp (Mesa boogie), is this true? Because this is WAY out of my price range!

So basically what pedals or combinations of pedals do you guys think I should get? Or maybe a metal preamp for up to £100? I don't mind buying used either

Thanks!
You're not gonna get a Meshuggah type sound on that budget :P

What amp have you got at the moment?
*Sigh* It's erm... I can't actually remember the name, I just know that it's REALLY old and I need a new one :p I think it's TT or something like that, it was made in the early 80's by the looks of the design, it has a REALLY good clean tone though which I'm using my zoom pedal with...

*Has a feeling you're going to say get a new amp*
I've read that combining pedals can be good... what if I combined say the tube screamer with some metal pedal? Maybe the metal muff?

Has anyone had experience with EQ pedals combined with metal pedals?
Just get a new amp man, seriously. If you get a Mesa Dual Rectifier, used probably, it will be SO satisfying and SO worth it. Just save
You're actually right... I do need a new amp anyway since we'll be gigging soon and it'll be cool for recording too... I might go and test some out now actually

Thanks for the advice
Quote by riggermortis
I've read that combining pedals can be good... what if I combined say the tube screamer with some metal pedal? Maybe the metal muff?

Has anyone had experience with EQ pedals combined with metal pedals?

Yes. I had a metalzone. The WORST metal pedal ever and a good quality EQ pedal. It sounded good and thick for rhythm. **** for lead.

I'm in the same situation as you. Everyone will say "Get a tube amp!" even though A high gain tube amp will blow your ****ing ears out.

So... What are we to do?
I think for now I'm going to get maybe a landmine and an eq pedal or maybe metal muff and then start saving... It'll take like 2 months to save for a whole Mesa stack, injected is right, I might aswell buy something for the long run that's gonna last a life time And potentially have black album sound!
Quote by riggermortis
I think for now I'm going to get maybe a landmine and an eq pedal or maybe metal muff and then start saving... It'll take like 2 months to save for a whole Mesa stack, injected is right, I might aswell buy something for the long run that's gonna last a life time And potentially have black album sound!

**** the pedals and just save the for the amp.
yeah it doesn't matter what pedal you get man it's never gonna give you that high gain tone you are looking for. You need an amp with a good lead channel. Save up the cash man. I mean even if you just put back 30 dollars each week. Youll have it before you know it! Or apply for a credit card. Its pretty easy to get one these days.
I have a GREAT idea:

HT-DistX.
£99.
High quality high gain pedal with a 12ax7 tube. Think of it as almost being similar to a pre-amp.
Would work GREAT with a good clean channel.
The gain from that should be more then enough. Should be ideal for you.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I have a GREAT idea:

HT-DistX.
£99.
High quality high gain pedal with a 12ax7 tube. Think of it as almost being similar to a pre-amp.
Would work GREAT with a good clean channel.
The gain from that should be more then enough. Should be ideal for you.

Or he could buy the amp like he was planing to and saving time...