Alright, Rhoads guitars will always have a special place in my heart, and will largely always be my favorite kind of guitar... but much like their progenitor, I also have a deep love for Les Pauls.

But when it comes to LP's, I like to get as close to the real deal as possible. None of that Epiphone or Studio crap. And I know other companies do well, too, and call me old fashioned, but I just want a Gibson.

What I can't decide, though, is between the Les Paul Standard, and the Custom. I really love ebony fretboards, especially on black or white guitars, but I hate pickguards. And then there's always the fact that they cost at least a grand more, or so. I also don't know how the quality control is on each of these, either.

Can anyone who has actual experience help me lay out the pros and cons of each? I'll be going to a Guitar Center tomorrow to hopefully get some hands on time with each.
Is this even a question? You have a choice between a CUSTOM and a standard? You know that you need to get the custom..
My Setup:

Epiphone SG G-400
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez RX
Gardisten Aucustic
Line-6 Spider III head
Line-6 4x12 Cab
Zoom G1 Multi-effect(sucks big time!)
If you 'just want a gibson', then you should get a classic or a 59 sunburst or something.

EDIT: Also remember that you can take pickguards off so that shouldn't effect your decision.
CUSTOM

then take the pick gard off and fill in th holes but in my opinion lesp auls dont look nice with it of.....
Well, I mean, it is my decision which I get... but it is also my money. So it does make a difference that it costs a lot more for the Custom.

And when I said I "just want a Gibson" what I meant was that I understand the merit in other brands, but I'm not interested. Not that I just wanted a Gibson for the sake of it.

I know you can take off the pickguard, but unless it was the only thing holding me back, I'd rather not have little drilled holes in the front of my guitar.

What I'm most curious of is whether or not the quality of the Custom is that much greater than the Standard so as to warrant the price difference.
the different in price comes from the double binding the custom has!
thats it!

correct me if ima wrong?
we all like to learn something new everyday(H)

but yeah, go with the custom!
iv always had the gibson les paul custom at the centre of my guitar heart!

Gear:
-Tokai Les Paul Custom w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Custom & Pearly Gates
-Westfield B200
-Ibanez GRG170DXL

-VOX AD30VT
-Fender MD-20
-Marshall MG15DFX

Dunlop Cry Baby
-Digitech RP70
Customs are so much better. I'd say 99% of the guitars come out of the custom shop are awesome. Also, the holes from the pickguard are very small. Unless you're really picky, they shouldn't bother you.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Felgate
thats it!

correct me if ima wrong?
we all like to learn something new everyday(H)

but yeah, go with the custom!
iv always had the gibson les paul custom at the centre of my guitar heart!

I think the new customs have a chambered body and Maple Back. But thats just what I think. Im not 100% on that.
Sig What?
I used to own a Standard and sold it after 6 months. It sounded good and looked nice too (wine red). I tried to love it, but something was missing. Even now when I look at the headstock of a Standard, it just looks odd and bare.

A couple of years ago I got myself a Custom and it was just pure love from day one. There is not even a comparison in terms of the feel you get when you hold a Custom. The binding, the headstock, the sturdy tuners, the ebony fretboard - everything is just right in that guitar.

My advice - save some money and go for the Custom - you will not regret it.

Oh, and your pick guard argument is just silly :-)
Quote by Felgate
thats it!

Well there's that and the fact the guitars are made in two different places and are in completely different levels of quality....

The custom is an all around superior guitar. Better QC, better craftsmanship, better hardware, better woods (and this is a fact, not an assumption like on Studios), etc...

TS if you can afford a Custom your choice should be between a Custom and 1958 VOS Standard aka the R8. Both come out of the Custom shop and both are miles ahead most production line Gibsons.

EDIT: For the record I'm not saying the Standard is a bad guitar, just that Gibsons coming out of the custom shop are much better.
Last edited by T!AN at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by Sirakov
I used to own a Standard and sold it after 6 months. It sounded good and looked nice too (wine red). I tried to love it, but something was missing. Even now when I look at the headstock of a Standard, it just looks odd and bare.

A couple of years ago I got myself a Custom and it was just pure love from day one. There is not even a comparison in terms of the feel you get when you hold a Custom. The binding, the headstock, the sturdy tuners, the ebony fretboard - everything is just right in that guitar.

My advice - save some money and go for the Custom - you will not regret it.

Oh, and your pick guard argument is just silly :-)

Great info, much appreciated.

And you may call it silly, but for that much money I am very particular to every tiny detail.

Quote by T!AN
Well there's that and the fact the guitars are made in two different places and are in completely different levels of quality....

The custom is an all around superior guitar. Better QC, better craftsmanship, better hardware, better woods (and this is a fact, not an assumption like on Studios), etc...

TS if you can afford a Custom your choice should be between a Custom and 1958 VOS Standard aka the R8. Both come out of the Custom shop and both are miles ahead most production line Gibsons.

EDIT: For the record I'm not saying the Standard is a bad guitar, just that Gibsons coming out of the custom shop are much better.

Much thanks.
I would go with a reissue if I had the money to spend on a custom. The '59 and '60 reissues are the premium LPs but they're quite a bit more than a custom. The '58 is a little less than the custom (over here at least) and the biggest difference between the R8 and the R9 is the plain vs. flamed top - though the R9 may be a little easier to play because of the frets.

Unless you particularly want ebony fretboard and the gold bling of a custom that is. It'll come down to what "gets the mojo workin'" in you when you go try 'em out.

EDIT: According to http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/lpcustom/LPCustom.html the custom is weight relieved while the reissues are solid. If that's important to you (it is to a lot of people) then that might sway you.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Aug 28, 2008,
the main question should be is does the custom sound better than the standard, even if it does is it £1000 better? i went for the standard and it sounds good, even if it is chambered it still sounds good, i dont think gibson would mess with the guitar unless they had done plenty of tests to make sure it still sounded good with a chunk cut out it, dont think the chamber was made to save money was it?
Quote by scottish nutter
the main question should be is does the custom sound better than the standard, even if it does is it £1000 better? i went for the standard and it sounds good, even if it is chambered it still sounds good, i dont think gibson would mess with the guitar unless they had done plenty of tests to make sure it still sounded good with a chunk cut out it, dont think the chamber was made to save money was it?

I think it was. Think about it, a guitar that weighs half as much, costs half as much to distribute to the four corners of the globe. Chambering in itself does not equal vast amounts of extra labour on each guitar. They literally just drop a routing jig on the bodies. It takes like two seconds. When you're distributing thousands of guitars a months all over the world, saving half on the postage is going to be saving a lot of money. That's my theory, anyway. I certainly don't think the chambered bodies have done anything but ruin the guitars. The whole point of the Les Paul design was to have that big chunk of mahogany there for resonance and sustain. Their argument that chambered bodies have more resonance is weak. Chambered Les Paul sound crap, and don't sustain very well at all, in my experience.
standards have better feel. the 60's neck is awesome and thin.. more like a rhoads *wink wink*****. anyways, i think custom is more expensive, but you're gonna pay more for a better guitar, when the playability isnt as good. well depends on your preferences but you do like rhoads....
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I do really like that slimmer 60's neck.

And like it was mentioned, the chambered bodies just plain kill it for me. In my opinion it destroys much of what I love about a Les Paul in the first place.

The ebony is important to me, but not if it comes at the price of too much I don't like in return, like with the pickguard. Besides, while my three favorite colors are the White, Black, and Tobacco Burst, I think I will be going with the last one. And with that kind of finish, Rosewood doesn't bother me so much as with the White or Black.

What LP would I be able to get with (ideally)...

Slim 60's neck
Tobacco Burst
No pickguard
No chambered body
You'll have a better understanding of what things are really important to you after you audition the various models.

It won't take more than 10 minutes playing time with each model to determine the top 3 that you like the most.

Make sure to audition your top choices as long as you can and through an amp like yours or one you're planning to buy.

You'll immediately notice that with most guitars with a Glossy Black finish, your initial preference, wiping off the finger smudges will be a regular activity after a long session.

in the meantime, check out the specs here: http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/list.html

Good Luck!

Quote by Delanoir
I do really like that slimmer 60's neck.

And like it was mentioned, the chambered bodies just plain kill it for me. In my opinion it destroys much of what I love about a Les Paul in the first place.

The ebony is important to me, but not if it comes at the price of too much I don't like in return, like with the pickguard. Besides, while my three favorite colors are the White, Black, and Tobacco Burst, I think I will be going with the last one. And with that kind of finish, Rosewood doesn't bother me so much as with the White or Black.

What LP would I be able to get with (ideally)...

Slim 60's neck
Tobacco Burst
No pickguard
No chambered body

How about this Custom with a 60s neck? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Les-Paul-Custom-All-Mahogany-Triple-Pickup-Electric-Guitar?sku=482522
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The new LP's are coming with the pickgaurds off I am pretty sure, and putting it on is optional.

I played a few of the new LP Traditionals at GC, and they are absolutely beautiful! Look into those, they aren't chambered like the new standards, and have the real feel of LP's from the 80's, which is what they are built after.

I don't know much of LPs of the 80's, but I do prefer the unchambered body and added weight.
High as tits