Page 1 of 2
hello everyone,

First of I would like to apologise if a similar question has been asked previously (I have scanned the stickys and have not found anything that helpful)

Now, with that out of the way, I am looking at getting a new powerful amp for use at gigs and at band practice. My band currently uses 2 400w wedges connected to an equalizer. The vocals, bass, and 2 guitars all go through them, so as you can imagine the sound is sometimes scetchy - this is why i'm looking at investing in a good decent amp.

I don't know alot about amps but i'm probably looking towards a valve amp and a cab, the genre we play is a mix of hardcore, metalcore and death metal (as i lay dying, suicide silence, architects, bring me the horizon etc...)

I was gonna get a krank amp but i've heard there very overpriced and not that good so my options are now open again, I dont really have a fixed budget, however I am a 16 year old so nothing to extravagant please

any help would be appreciated.
I'm thinking 6505?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Right well I have an Ibanez GRG170DX with a boss mt2 metalzone pedal

i live in the UK and my maximum price range is about 1000 - 1500 USA dollars

thanks
Peavey 5150 is worth a look, also check out Laney heads, ENGL. I'm sure I can think of some more.
Quote by Horlicks
Peavey 5150 is worth a look, also check out Laney heads, ENGL. I'm sure I can think of some more.

+1.
Maybe Bugera if you want to cheap out, but you seem to have a nice budget.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
yeh this amp will hopefulyl last me a long time so im looking to splash out on this really :P

If I go for a head and cab combo the head is the bit which sits on top and the cab is that actual amp right?
Quote by Krancos
yeh this amp will hopefulyl last me a long time so im looking to splash out on this really :P

If I go for a head and cab combo the head is the bit which sits on top and the cab is that actual amp right?

No, the head is the amp, the cab is the speakers.
two words: Engl fireball
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
right ok, im looking at a ENGL and Orange combo atm - ENGL Powerball and an Orange cab atm. not to sure what cab to get though

also, is it worth looking at a combo amp?
Quote by Krancos
also, is it worth looking at a combo amp?

Totally.
Combos are great. Small, easy to carry/transport, don't take up too much room, still able to be used in ANY scenario (depending on how loud they go).
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Totally.
Combos are great. Small, easy to carry/transport, don't take up too much room, still able to be used in ANY scenario (depending on how loud they go).

yeh but im just thinking i will be using it for gigs and although i have a small mini marshall combo atm im afraid if i get a good one it wont delliver the powerful sound i am after
Quote by Krancos
yeh but im just thinking i will be using it for gigs and although i have a small mini marshall combo atm im afraid if i get a good one it wont delliver the powerful sound i am after

A combo has no obvious sound difference to a halfstack.
It WILL deliver the sound you want (unless you want extra bass from a 4x12).
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
hmmm, im going to have to investigate - do you know any good halfstacks of the top of your head for a really powerful metal/ death metal sound?
Peavey 6505 from the top of my head.

Bugera 6260 if you have no money.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
i know someone who selling the Marshall JCM 2000 dual version for 375

i think this is a good price but im not sure whether it will a) give me the heavy sound i am after and b) go well with any heavy sounding cab.

advice please?
Quote by Krancos
Right well I have an Ibanez GRG170DX with a boss mt2 metalzone pedal

i live in the UK and my maximum price range is about 1000 - 1500 USA dollars

thanks

If you live in the UK then your budget is £750.

Laney GH50L
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-50l-with-el34s/374
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gs-412i/387
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 30, 2008,
Get yourself an Orange. Some of those bands use Orange. James Root uses a Rockerverb 100/Rockerverb 50. The Rockerverb series should definatley do. Just get a cheap cab for now, and get a better one when you REALLY need one.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by steven seagull

I second this. I'm no Laney fan, but this amp does get a nice heavy sound and is excellent value here in the UK. I would recommend you get a 212 rather than a 412 cab though, lugging a 4x12 cab around is NOT fun, and there will be no real difference (even in bass response) between that and a decent 2x12 cab.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ppc212-2x12/8184

^Like that.
Quote by steven seagull

+1
If I had the money, and the need, I'd get one.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Cornford roadhouse 30.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

so you would recommend the laney: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-50l-with-el34s/374

about the marshall JCM 2000: http://www.speedmusic.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_marshall_jcm2000_series01.html

im not to concerned about the price as i can get the marshall at a similar price to the laney however im still not certain which one would give me the death metal/ grindcore sound I am after
Laney with an OD and a tube change to 6L6's should get you closer than the Marshall and you could afford to do those to the Laney for roughly the same price.

Its exactly what I'm going to do, getting a GH50L for £250 changing to 6L6's and an Orange PPC212.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Laney with an OD and a tube change to 6L6's should get you closer than the Marshall and you could afford to do those to the Laney for roughly the same price.

Its exactly what I'm going to do, getting a GH50L for £250 changing to 6L6's and an Orange PPC212.

whats a tube change to 6L6's?
in addition to my many questions angled or straight cab?

I know straight are supposedly supposed to give you more bass but angled give out more sound - well sound like they do
Quote by Krancos
in addition to my many questions angled or straight cab?

I know straight are supposedly supposed to give you more bass but angled give out more sound - well sound like they do

It makes no difference, angled cabs are simply like that because the head fits nicely on top.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok thanks, can you please tell me what a tube change to 6l6s is?

I know you have Solid state amps and tube amps with the tube amps appearing to be louder, however i am still slightly unclear what all the termonology is
Ok, I think I might be able to help:

1. 6L6 is another type of valve/tube. The stock valves in the Laney are EL34s (or EL84s I'm not sure) which are very British sounding. If you got them changed to 6L6s, the amp would start sounding much more "American" in its tonality. Be aware that a lot of amps have to be rebiased when you change brands of valve so if you're not confident on biasing an amp then take it to a tech.

2. Valve amps appear louder than Solid State amps at the same or similar wattages because Valve amps allow many more harmonic frequencies to be amplified. In other words, SS amps amplify just your basic sound, whereas valve amps amplify all of the nuances and sounds barely audible to the human ear. Because of this, the sound is 'fuller' and covers a wider frequency, which our ears percieve as volume. I may be wrong, but I think if you measured the output of a valve amp and a solid state amp (same wattage, same volume) you would see that they are the same, even though the valve sounds louder.

By the way, wattage to sound is NOT a linear equation. Some 30w valve amps are louder than some 50w etc.
thanks that was really helpful - im off to a guitar shop in a couple of days time and going to try out various combinations and hopefully i will find something which i love [=
Quote by 666_Pounder
Oh yeah for the tube change there is a bias switch on the back of the GH50L that switches from the EL34s to 6L6s.

so there are already 6l6s built in?

and also which one will give me the metalcore (bring me the horizon and job for a cowboy) sound I am after?
ok cool [=

which one will give me the sound im after though?

like i know one sounds british and american but what are the technical differences between these two?
You mean what are British and American sounds?

British sound is more middy, and more punchy. Higher gain British sounds would be more like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Paul Gilbert. The British crunch is more famous, with bands like Free, the Who, Rolling Stones etc.

American sound is more scooped and dark. Higher gain American is widely used in modern metal by bands like Metallica, Nickelback and Killswitch. American crunch is widely known as tweed, used by SRV, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc.
i suppose ill go with a sound like killswitch but my pedal will be doing all the gain work...
eek, you don't need that pedal with a good amp.

when you try these amps you'll see.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Why does no one ever suggest Mesa? Throw in a Single or Dual Recto to your list, I think you'd be happy with that and maybe an OD for EXTR3ME BR00T4LZ.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Page 1 of 2