when i write a song i rarely put chords in and if i do its because i forced myself. 99 precent of all my new riffs are melodies and i love melodies i just feel like a song cant have full structure without atlest a few chords..what do yall think?
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Listen to Opeth.

/thread

+1
Current Gear:

PRS Custom 24 (Whale Blue)
Jackson KVX10 (With SD Blackouts)
Line 6 POD XT Live
wish i could but iraq has a very sloooow internet connection, i take it they dont use chords thou?
Black Sabbath. Sure Iommi did do chords and all but there are still loads of rhythm parts which are just single notes. Like Electric Funeral.
They do use chords, and a heck of a lot of them for a metal band.

On their latest album a lot of the riffs have loads of major chords in them but they still feel heavy.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Listen to Opeth.

/thread

+1984017941

I used to never use chords, then I started listening to Opeth, I always put chords in my songs now.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
hm i guess i understnad, just making chord parts just isnt as fun hah. o well ill try to get some opeth from somewhere and take a listen
hm i guess i understnad, just making chord parts just isnt as fun hah. o well ill try to get some opeth from somewhere and take a listen
To be honest, when I started writing songs, I felt really awkward about using major chords too, but then you start to realise that they have useful tonal qualities and attributes which can be abused, which simply aren't there with barre chords.

But yeah, Opeth are a great example of a metal band using a lot of chords.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I find it useful when writing a song or a riff to try and figure out the chord that a certain riff is outlining, and playing some form of that chord to flesh out the song a bit.
You hate chords? But even leads work contains chords? Songs have chords in. Get over it.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join