Does anyone have any opinions on an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Ultra as opposed to an LTD Les Paul look-a-like (LTD EC-1000 with EMG or Seymour Duncan pups?

The LTD is about $200 more.

Sorry for the noob question, but the nearest GC is about an hour away and this shop is about 2 blocks away from my house.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Last edited by Rio38 at Aug 28, 2008,
ESP is to LTD as Gibson is to Epiphone and Fender is to squire

The ESP eclipse II will be much better quality than the LTD eclipse 2, its like saying, i got a red fender strat, when actually its a red squire strat.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by chippythingy
ESP is to LTD as Gibson is to Epiphone and Fender is to squire

The ESP eclipse II will be much better quality than the LTD eclipse 2, its like saying, i got a red fender strat, when actually its a red squire strat.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at either the Epiphone or the LTD. I think the Gibson and ESP are out of my price range. So I was trying to compare the Epiphone and the LTD.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
LTD to ESP is like Epiphone to Gibson. LTD is damn high quality though.

ESP's are made in Japan and the LTD's are made in Korea if i'm not mistaken.

An EC 1000 is FAR superior to an Epi LP.

EDIT: The thing about the LTD's is that apart from the hardware (tuners, bridge) and SLIGHT differences (ebony/rosewood FB's) and of course the attention to detail that comes with VERY expensive guitars, the LTD will be pretty much identical to the ESP in sound and playability (same pickups, same wood, same construction). LTD guitars are amazing value for money.

Plus it looks far better than a regular les paul.

That is all.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Last edited by 123-Trav at Aug 28, 2008,
in my opinion, id get an LTD copy because i tihnk LTD is a much better lower end company than Epiphone.
I would imagine that Epiphone is a much better copy, but lower quality, wheras the LTD is not as much like the Gibson, but is a much better guitar than the Epiphone, if that makes sense
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
I've played both. I thought I wanted an Epi LP Standard. I went to the shop, though, and played the EC 1000 and the EC 500 and fell in love. The neck felt much faster and the guitar was more comfortable. As far as differences go, I think the 1000 and 500 both have active pups, whereas the Epi does not.
Quote by chippythingy
in my opinion, id get an LTD copy because i tihnk LTD is a much better lower end company than Epiphone.
I would imagine that Epiphone is a much better copy, but lower quality, wheras the LTD is not as much like the Gibson, but is a much better guitar than the Epiphone, if that makes sense

you lost me there....:P

but i think im gonna rephrase my answer,the epiphone is better if you want a guitar thats closer to a LP,while the LTD is a better guitar if you want something closer to an ESP eclipse (something heavier sounding,obviously) so its up to you to figure out the sound u want,tho u will prolly have to swap pickups on the epiphone to make it sound better/heavier
swapping pups on an epiphone can make a big difference,and can get you really close to a LP sound
Would it be better to go with the EMG pups or the Seymour Duncans? The EMGs are active, which I'm guessing rely on batteries for external power. Are they a apin and how long do the batteries normally last? Anything I should look out for with EMG vs. Seymour Duncans?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Usually EMGs are used for metal because they are very high output pick-ups. If your playing metal than you may want to go with the EMGs. The SDs however, are pretty high output too, and will have a better clean tone.
Actually if you're using a good tube amp and roll the volume down on your guitar a bit, EMG's have amazing cleans.
Quote by chippythingy

My guess is he meant that epiphones look more like gibson les pauls, but they aren't of very good quality anymore (chinese models dont compare to the old korean).

However he thinks LTD doesn't look much like the gibson, but it is a better built and sounding guitar compared to the epiphone.

I think thats what he meant.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by lylewithans182
Usually EMGs are used for metal because they are very high output pick-ups. If your playing metal than you may want to go with the EMGs. The SDs however, are pretty high output too, and will have a better clean tone.

EMG's have amazing cleans if actually know what your doing, just roll down the volume knob, its not hard.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
EMG's have amazing cleans if actually know what your doing, just roll down the volume knob, its not hard.

EMG pickups have a crappy clean, very dry.
GEAR:
guitars - ESP Eclipse-II FM, ESP LTD M-50, crapy classic guitar.
amps - Rivera Venus 3, Rocktorn Rampage 20R.
and crapy pedal of Digitech.
Quote by Varius Strato
EMG pickups have a crappy clean, very dry.

no they dont, EMG's were actually designed to pull of cleans in the first place, its just people realised the high output allows killer distorion, trust me the EMG 60 has a lovely warm, fat clean even my mate agreed when he actually heard it and before he thought they were ****e
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by Titans36
I have the EC-400VF and its a versitile beast! I love her...

that is completely irrelevant the EC400VF has seymour duncans not EMG's

however i played an EC 1000 the other day, the cleans on the EMG 60 at the neck was beautiful
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Keep your eye out for a used Eclipse II.
That is, if you have that cash. You can find them for about a grand I think..

As for the pickup argument, it's ****ing stupid. Everyone has there own opinion, but theres really no well known pickup company that has what you could call a 'crap' pickup.
Quote by caraluzzo
Keep your eye out for a used Eclipse II.
That is, if you have that cash. You can find them for about a grand I think..

As for the pickup argument, it's ****ing stupid. Everyone has there own opinion, but theres really no well known pickup company that has what you could call a 'crap' pickup.

Hm, the SD invader's pretty shoddy. way bassy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Hm, the SD invader's pretty shoddy. way bassy.

Possibly for what you play.
I think you missed the point.
and that would be...? (I'm a bit confused on what the point really is)
Anyway I agree the used Eclipse II probably would be a bit better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I was just pointing out that all people have different opinions and want different tones. I agree that the Invaders (I beleive that's the pickup you were talking about) are a little bassy, but there are tons of people that like them. Pretty much what I was trying to say is, different people want different things. It's hard to call any pickup crappy IMO, because I know that just because that's not what I want, I'm sure there are tons of people who love them.

And yeah, the Eclipse II seams like a good idea if he's in the market for anything used. I know I'm 100% satisfied with mine.
LTD quality is much better quality than Epiphone and Squier. That analogy is so stupid and false.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups