Hi, I am looking for some European dark metal bands for a report in school. I have four of them so far, and I need at least 6 examples.

Children of Bodom
Viking Skull
Cradle Of Filth
Dimmu Borgir

That is what I have. Any help would be great.
why are you doing a report on it if you only know 4 bands, im not even going to start on aruing over the "darkness" of those bands.
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Emperor!
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
just look up some norwegian death metal bands. there's plenty of those and they're european.
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Em Drive Clone (w/ Klon buffer) > Paramount Clone > OCD > Westminster Effects Knox 800 > ISP Decimator > m5 > Nova Repeater > Trinity T2 > W.E. Sturgeon Reverb > AC15C1
Sorry for not being perfect. I am doing a report on it, because most other European music sucks (in my opinion), and yes, I know they're not like Cannibal Corpse or Mayhem or anything like that. I should have just said metal. Big deal, so instead of posting useless crap, help me with this knowledge that you imply you have.
Quote by Take This Life
you do mean black metal right?

i sure as hell hope he doesnt, he listed one pseudo black metal band.

Quote by Chemical Zero
Sorry for not being perfect. I am doing a report on it, because most other European music sucks (in my opinion), and yes, I know they're not like Cannibal Corpse or Mayhem or anything like that. I should have just said metal. Big deal, so instead of posting useless crap, help me with this knowledge that you imply you have.

im not posting useless crap, if you just want a list of european metal bands, googles right there, i just dont see how you can do a report on european metal bands when you think most of them suck. two of those bands are british btw.
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Last edited by COBHC6 at Aug 28, 2008,
Well skip all those bands and check out;
Armagedda
Taake
Ulver
Immortal
Emperor
Mayhem
I can recommend even more, but I wont bother.
This guy fails. He can't even figure out what genre the bands are or where they are from yet he is expecting to write a report on them?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Thanks for the help mindkill.

COBHC6: I googled so much stuff, and 90% of it was dragonforce, rammstein, etc.
Quote by nebiru
This guy fails. He can't even figure out what genre the bands are or where they are from yet he is expecting to write a report on them?

Great. Once again, a person chooses to revel in their own ignorance rather then help someone who is rather new to the subject. And I thought school was meant for you to learn stuff, not to go in and impress everyone with what you already know. So you can head back to your monotonous life, of being a brain dead sponge. I assumed that a website devoted to guitar, and rock music in general would have some people that could help. I see now that I was wrong.
Quote by Chemical Zero
Thanks for the help mindkill.

COBHC6: I googled so much stuff, and 90% of it was dragonforce, rammstein, etc.

what the hell were you searching
click on my link, pick the the bands with european flags next to their names, and write your report. i STILL have no ****ing clue why your writing a report on something you clearly have zero knowledge of, and i doubt your teacher said, ok guys, go home on the weekend and do a report on black metal!
Quote by Chemical Zero
I assumed that a website devoted to guitar, and rock music in general would have some people that could help. I see now that I was wrong.

That was your first mistake!

Good luck on the report though!
I see that you have no concept of originality. The report was supposed to be on bands that have influences from music in the classic, medieval or romantic time period. I noticed that a lot of black metal bands do have these influences, and most of them are from Europe. I liked some metal bands, sorry for not being an expert in a subject I am trying to learn about.

Edit: And in case you're wondering what class it is for, the class name is "A history of Rock: From Origins to Present Day"
Quote by Chemical Zero
Great. Once again, a person chooses to revel in their own ignorance rather then help someone who is rather new to the subject. And I thought school was meant for you to learn stuff, not to go in and impress everyone with what you already know. So you can head back to your monotonous life, of being a brain dead sponge. I assumed that a website devoted to guitar, and rock music in general would have some people that could help. I see now that I was wrong.

Welcome to the internet, this is what we do here.

Anyway, unless your class solely consists of ex-members of Mayhem I don't think most people would care to listen about black metal, everytime I talk to a non-metalhead about metal they just glaze over and blankly nod.

Unless, you just want to impress everyone with your kvltness
i'd say go with some of the earliest black metal bands,

Burzum
Mayhem
Immortal
Emperor (make sure your report includes how they greatly influenced Symphonic Black Metal)
Darkthrone
Satyricon

you'll probably want to include some proto black metal bands like Venom and Bathory that greatly influenced the genre

you may also want to delve into Black Metal's subgenres

Symphonic Black Metal
Emperor
Dimmu Borgir (early)
Limbonic Art

Melodic Black Metal
Dissection
Vinterland
Sacramentum
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by Chemical Zero
I see that you have no concept of originality. The report was supposed to be on bands that have influences from music in the classic, medieval or romantic time period. I noticed that a lot of black metal bands do have these influences, and most of them are from Europe. I liked some metal bands, sorry for not being an expert in a subject I am trying to learn about.

Edit: And in case you're wondering what class it is for, the class name is "A history of Rock: From Origins to Present Day"

That sounds like an epic class to be in!

Try looking at some Cradle of Filth whislt your at it. Bittersuites to Succubi and before would fit your brief.
Quote by COBHC6
why are you doing a report on it if you only know 4 bands, im not even going to start on aruing over the "darkness" of those bands.

well said =)
Quote by UncleCthulhu
...everytime I talk to a non-metalhead about metal they just glaze over and blankly nod.

I once gave a 7 minute report on Thrash metal's origins, technicalities, defining aspects, and even thrash metal culture (clothing, what to do in a moshpit, etc.) and at the end of the presentation a guy in the back of the class raised his hand and was like "why is one of the guys in that Death Angel poster smiling? I thought metalheads don't smile."

EDIT: btw check out that wiki link also most black metal bands from europe you should check out are Mayhem, Burzum, Immortal, Emperor, Gorgoroth, etc.

Also check out Swedish death metal as well as a lot of melodic death metal comes from that Scandinavian tri-tip (Sweden, Norway, Finland). Swedish Death metal bands include Entombed, Unleashed, Dismember, Carnage, Nihilist, Amorphis (early).

Also lots of Melodic Death Metal would work like: Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, At the Gates, Eucharist, etc.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Last edited by bootyguard at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by dminishedthingy
i don't know if its funnier that he said that, or the fact that you brought in visual aids

i didnt just bring in visual aids.... i wore my 80s thrashing outfit.

jeans, tight leather jacket w/ studs, and long locks of hair (on a wig).
I even was showing them how to mosh.

At the end of the presentation my teacher was like "besides Judas Priest & Black Sabbath (mentioned for creating thrash with songs like "exciter" and "children of the grave"), I've never heard of any of the bands you mentioned"

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

Metal is such a lame thing to do a school report on.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
Quote by matt85210
Metal is such a lame thing to do a school report on.

Agreed. The point of school is to learn something new, not just turn your hobby into an easy essay topic or presentation that your teacher will still not understand after you're done.
Last edited by yoozum at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by Chemical Zero
other European music sucks (in my opinion)

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by yoozum
Agreed. The point of school is to learn something new, not just turn your hobby into an easy essay topic or presentation that your teacher will still not understand after you're done.

the teacher said pick something you know so you won't have to do to much research on the topic and can simply focus on making an effective presentation (it was for a public communications and speech class) and that the class probably won't know a lot about so we can learn... so i picked metal. Its the one thing I know a lot about and yet I still learned quite a bit while preparing the presentation (aka what bands and songs began the thrash metal phase, what bands and songs evolved thrash metal to the subsequent subgenres, etc.

Also, since these days people are simply rushed through school, its almost better to stick to whats safe for school purposes so you can get a good grade (which I did), because in the end the grade is all that counts.

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

European Dark Metal? Sounds like someone describing a scary-looking Eurovision entry.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Mind Kill

Ulver

Eh... As much as I love them they are in no way, shape, or form a metal band anymore. The majority of their career is electronic so they probably wouldn't fit in the report.

TS: You should just use the mainstream ones as there's more info on them.

Emperor
Mayhem
Burzum
Immortal

Etc.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
^ Yeah but Ulver are still deadly no matter what style they try out
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Well, dark metal doesnt exist (at least, not a subgenre called dark metal). If your doing a report on metal, do it on bands with similar sounds.

I would assume you'd mean black metal, or something of that nature, so...

Look up Mirrorthrone. More classical influences than metal, and still very black metal.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Eh... As much as I love them they are in no way, shape, or form a metal band anymore. The majority of their career is electronic so they probably wouldn't fit in the report.

True. All that said, their two black metal albums are awesome, especially Bergtatt.

And despite the fact that there really is no such thing as "dark metal," the band Bethlehem (who are really really good when it comes to vocals) call themselves "dark metal."
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Lots of bands call them selves Dark Metal.

Even Agalloch.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Lots of bands call them selves Dark Metal.

Even Agalloch.

Indeed.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.