Hmm for a rhythm guitar tone for a pop rock band( i know many despised this genre but yeah thats what my friends want to play).. For this pop rock sound, how should my guitar sound like? My lead guitar plays with those crunchy/metalish tone while my bass is abit distorted sound.. So for me what kind of sound should i seek for? an Overdrive clean ? or a distorted sound? For rhythm guitarist, i have to lower bass, treble and and mid that is slightly lower than ur lead? Thanks
Your lead has a metal tone, your bass is distorted and you guys play pop rock?

A slightly crunchy tone would probably work I guess. Something like an overdriven AC30 kind of sound.
haha yeah and i initially plays a clean tone but got psychoed by my band mates to play distort

Im kind influenced by RHCP so my strumming is more acoustically-like and im psychoed by my band mates to play down down down down tooo and now more recently, psychoed to play power chords lol ^^
dude quit this band if they make you play the way you don't want to..
and if you don't sing why not try some lead two i mean you can have two guitarists and it will sound awesome... but i nice not too distorted guitar would be ideal for rhythm and power chords
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
heh, we'll be having a last gig on sat, this band is actually a sending off for my bassist cause he will be heading for national service soon ^^ and yeah i do improvise when i can but when the lead is not doing riffs, he will be joining in rhythm strumming and in the end my sound couldn't be heard, is it supposed to be this way? Sorry cause its my first time joining a band :P
If you're playing with more than a tiny bit of distortion, you really want to play power chords most of the time, especially in a band with another guitarist, because otherwise the sound can get really muddy and cluttered up. I find that in a band with two guitarists playing with distortion, an easy way to separate the sounds is to have one guy play with a "rounder" tone, with less treble and more mids, and to have the other guy use a more cutting tone with more treble and maybe scoop his mids a bit. Generally, the rhythm player should use a little bit less gain than the lead, but this isn't a written-in-stone rule. If your lead player and you are playing different parts in different ranges and you're not using the same or very similar guitars and amps, you should be able to sound different enough to separate the two lines. If you're playing pop rock or punk pop or whatever, though, you might consider telling your bassist to play with a cleaner and rounder sound, because that way the guitarists can use less bass in their sound and they'll both come through more clearly.

Edit: The lead guitar shouldn't actually be louder than the rhythm except maybe during a guitar solo, they should really be about the same level but with different frequencies emphasized. If you're trying to play leads and he's drowning you out, you need to turn it up, or get a booster pedal or something. If you have a multi-channel amp, you can set the volume and gain on one channel higher than the other and use the louder one for leads. And if your bassist is leaving the band, maybe you should try switching to bass, since it sounds like your lead guitarist makes plenty of noise to fill up the mids and treble on his own.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Last edited by Missingno476 at Aug 28, 2008,
I agree, but don't go too high w/your mids, the leads won't be able to cut thru.
when I play rhythm in my band I have my treble lower than the lead player and it usually works out good.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Actually, pop rock with distorted guitar is very cool. Just YouTube the Brilliant Green, if you don't mind Japanese lyrics. :P

Personally, I like to play (pop rock) with my amp right on the verge of breaking up. I also like it to be bright, and slightly chimey. Acoustic strumming patterns work really well like this, I find.

If the lead guitarist also joins the rhythm, then I think the other suggestions here will be better. I typically play full chords, and am the only rhythm player.
I think a pretty clean tone, maybe with a hint of overdrive, played with single coils would be ideal. Quite alot of mids and treble, knock the bass back a little and use the bridge pickup. I'd think that'd be ideal.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay