Howdy,

I am looking for a nice multi-pedal, and I was wondering what you guys thought of this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME50B-Bass-Multiple-Effects-with-COSM?sku=151433

I was wondering if it had solid distortion/overdrive. If you have a better suggestion please suggest. I have a reasonable price range of up to 350 US Dollars. I would love the input from you guys!
It has overdrive etc. all the effects are nice if you know how to handle them.

you can create nice sounds with it
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
It has overdrive etc. all the effects are nice if you know how to handle them.

you can create nice sounds with it

Thanks for the input. I've heard stories of multi -pedals are more of a "jack of all trades, but master of none." By that, I mean that they can put out good sound, but not as great as a specific pedal could.
I have it and love it. I don't really find a need for anything else.
Quote by max355
Hating the 49rs is like hating the retarded kid in class.

The Cowboys, weed, and bass. My three loves
Quote by randomhero65
Thanks for the input. I've heard stories of multi -pedals are more of a "jack of all trades, but master of none." By that, I mean that they can put out good sound, but not as great as a specific pedal could.

I have an overdrive pedal too,
can't say the boss is worse.
But it;s true that with some effects there are better pedals.

And with more expensive pedals thath';s not the case btw.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
It's good as multi-fx pedals go, and has some great tones, and it's good enough if you want good sounds but aren't too fussed about the greatest sounds. If you only want a few effects, but that sound really good you're better off buying individual pedals.

Main faults with the ME-50B:
You can't mix certain effects together because of how they're organised on it and this can be really frustrating at certain points, especially fi you want to mix the chorus with the flanger or phaser
Secondly the wah sucks, simple as that, if the main effect you think you'll use is the wah then don't buy this pedal.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^^ I find the wah pedal just fine, though I skip over the envelope filters. I just use it for various Tool songs, thats about it.

As Sinan stated, it is a good pedal, but not being able to mix up the delays and modulators is a big downside, as thats mostly what I use. I have a GT3 (the huge guitar pedal) for guitar, which allows me to have two delays running (a small slapback and an echo) at the same time, which only makes me pity the bass pedal.

Otherwise, I would say its a good buy. The fuzz tone you can get is pretty neat.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I've got one, and am very pleased with it. The ability to add an extra layer of EQ between your playing and the audience is always handy, as is the volume pedal, as is the fact that you can have three effects going at once (And this is before any of the actual effects).

I agree that you can probably get better effects with separate pedals, but I'd never use a single one enough for it to be worthwhile, except maybe reverb (I do use a lot of that).
I'm not a fan of much bass distortion, but I do like putting just a touch of it in to add a real edge to the sound, and like some of the effects (Although the synths are pretty crappy, tbh).

Only flaws in my book are that you don't have infinite flexibility about what effects to combine (damn assigned stomp boxes) and the wah's not great. The Whammy is great fun, though, and is very handy for knocking chords up an octave with vibrato.
Quote by Samzawadi
I've got one, and am very pleased with it. The ability to add an extra layer of EQ between your playing and the audience is always handy, as is the volume pedal, as is the fact that you can have three effects going at once (And this is before any of the actual effects).

I agree that you can probably get better effects with separate pedals, but I'd never use a single one enough for it to be worthwhile, except maybe reverb (I do use a lot of that).
I'm not a fan of much bass distortion, but I do like putting just a touch of it in to add a real edge to the sound, and like some of the effects (Although the synths are pretty crappy, tbh).

Only flaws in my book are that you don't have infinite flexibility about what effects to combine (damn assigned stomp boxes) and the wah's not great. The Whammy is great fun, though, and is very handy for knocking chords up an octave with vibrato.

I have it on just to get that crunch (the wah I mean)
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Well i found that if you just want to get used to effects like hear how they sound and what they do and then when you want a single really good quality soundsor something that can be tweaked more to suit your personnal you can get single effect pedals. But ya so far as i know thats a good multy fx pedal.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Can you guys suggest a good multi that blends the effects together because I think thats what I would love to do, no one effect too significant but just enough to make a overall good tone.
Quote by randomhero65
Can you guys suggest a good multi that blends the effects together because I think thats what I would love to do, no one effect too significant but just enough to make a overall good tone.

Honestly, go get a cheap Multi fx pedal, see what efffects you like to use, then go buy the single effects pedal.

The single effects are pretty much always better hen those on a multi fx.
Blending a bunch of effects together won't necessarily get you any closer to good tone--EQ is probably the best thing you can do for that. Honestly I don't think you'll find yourself having a lot of issues with not being able to combine certain effects.

If you want to try out some extremely in-depth tone shaping, go on ebay and find a Yamaha UB-99B. It's an old multi-effect that you can connect to your computer to edit EVERY SINGLE PARAMETER OF EVERY SINGLE EFFECT. Seriously. There are things in there that I had never seen before. It also only allows you to combine certain effects, but it has some amp modeling and preamp types you can choose from, plus 3 or 5 band parametric EQ. It has all the effects the ME-50B has (except the synth), but it's more tweakable. I got mine for $100. It's a good starter multi-effect where you can check out what you think you want a stompbox for, or, if it sounds good enough, you can step up to the boss.
distotion wise its crap. all the distrotions and overdrive on it has a really annoying digital fuzz, but then again thats expected from a digital fx board.
The distortions and overdrives are God awful. The distortion on my crappy solid state Marshall MG amp was still better than all the distortions available with the pedal bar a select few. When I made the jump the valve amps I sold it right away as it just sounds really digital and just plain awful. Delay was the only effect that makes it worthwhile but you're better off just buying a delay pedal.

That's just my experience with it anyway.
We're System of a Down and whether you wanna F**K OR YOU WANNA SUCK!! THEY'RE GONNA KILL US!!!11~~~~
Thanks for the Input! I think I'm just going to get the ODB-3 and a few other seperate peadals. I'm looking for Wah, Chorus, Overdrive, and maybe a flange. Suggest a few. I've been doing some research, too!

Thanks
volume is the most important pedal for live
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I play in a band that covers everything from Aerosmith to Katy Perry to Alice In Chains to ABBA. I like the ME-50B because I've been able to get the tones I need for each song and calling them back up is easy.

If I was doing session work I'd probably lean on single effect boxes for tone and the ability to make any combination I need. This unit has done a good job for my required application.

Also, it's built like a tank and can handle road wear. Another big thing when you're playing in clubs that allow people to dance on-stage with the band.
i use it for my bass. the overdrive and distortion are nice. I use the metal setting for distortion....its the best imo. Its a great pedal. Pick it up!
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by randomhero65
Thanks for the Input! I think I'm just going to get the ODB-3 and a few other seperate peadals. I'm looking for Wah, Chorus, Overdrive, and maybe a flange. Suggest a few. I've been doing some research, too!

Thanks

Make sure the ODB-3 is your think before you get it, rather than just getting it because it makes an extreme distortion. I have one and hate it. Others love it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1