Page 1 of 3
I would love a Gibson LP but havn't got the $$$$$. What, in your opinion, is the best NON Gibson LP out there and, if you can, please give a rough price estimate. Thanks.
well if your looking to stay at or under $1000, look into Edwards.

if you're willing to go up to $1600 for a guitar with ALL the trimmings, look into Carvin.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Thanks, I have been looking at the Epi's and will check out the others mentioned. Keep em coming guys!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom for about $650
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
esp ec-500
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Epiphones are a joke, don't degrade yourself like that
look into an agile or a japenese copy (greco, tokai, edwards...)
grassroots.. they have an LP copy..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
epiphone are rubbish , youd have to be plain stupid to be thinkign theyre any good unless u get the customs. or get the new metal series with the emgs or seymour duncans

the only good ones are edwards or esp

the edwards in fact are even said to be better then the gibsons for a reason, cos theyre hand made and have alot of care put into them. edwards are like $600

but if its up to a certain budget get edwards owner , esp .

dean cadillac and solteros are also slightly decent too
Rubbish? I think not. If it plays nice and looks good to you thats all that counts. There are plenty of satisfied Epiphone owners out there, including me...
^^ That statement is rubbish, There is nothing wrong with epiphone... The LP's are good quality, so they are a bit on the expensive side new but buying used is a better bet anyway...

But if you really don't want an epiphone, Vintage make good quality copies...

Gear

Tokai FA70 (My Korean ES-175)

Amplitube

Artisan 30 fund: £50/£1200
I own a Gibson custom and an Epiphone Custom 3. While the gibson is the better hands down. I love my Epiphone as well. The Epiphones CAN BE great guitars. Not all of them are horrible, but not all of them are great. You gotta play test.

Personally, I say go black beauty LP Custom Epi!
i would say an LTD/ESP Eclipse model imo superior to LP's anyway they are prettier.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by psychedelicscre
epiphone are rubbish , youd have to be plain stupid to be thinkign theyre any good unless u get the customs. or get the new metal series with the emgs or seymour duncans

the only good ones are edwards or esp

the edwards in fact are even said to be better then the gibsons for a reason, cos theyre hand made and have alot of care put into them. edwards are like $600

With these sentences you show that you don't know much.

I have played Epiphones that sound, play, and look amazing.

Prophecy's are some of the worst Epi's I have played.

I highly doubt Edwards are hand made. If they are, the hardware on them has gotta be atrocious.

Get a used Gibson. It's gonna be a great guitar, and with a little care, it's gonna retain its value.
esp
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by KeMiKaL
^^ That statement is rubbish, There is nothing wrong with epiphone... The LP's are good quality, so they are a bit on the expensive side new but buying used is a better bet anyway...

But if you really don't want an epiphone, Vintage make good quality copies...

This. My Epiphone Dot is awesome! But Agiles are better value, IMO. I would have gotten an Agile if they had a 335 clone.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Tokai, Greco, Burny, Edwards or Orville.
Just make sure you get a Japanese model.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Well, let's put custom made lone luthier copies out, because that's not exactly something just anyone can go and pick up today.

Best non-Gibson copies are Epiphone Elitists, ESP Eclipse, and the various Tokai models.

- Epi Elitists are Gibsons, but with a poly-finish instead of a nitro-based finish (so the Epi's finish is thicker - it won't 'age' over time so 'nicely' as the nitro finish does, but it's more resilient to scratching and denting, and it's less sticky, so personally I think it's actually an improvement), and with the Epi neck profile instead of the three Gibson profiles (but again, personally I think this is an improvement, I find the Epi profile far more comfortable than any other neck I've ever touched - and yes, I've tried all three Gibson necks). They cost about the same as a Gibson Studio and are easily the quality of a Gibson Standard. The only real downside is they can be very hard to get hold of, especially the Alpine White custom and the Faded Cherry standard plus finishes.

- ESP's Eclipse series are great LP copies, equal to Gibsons as far as quality goes, but they're more geared towards metal right off the shelf. If you're not into metal, they're easy enough to customise to be more suitable for other styles of playing. The quality is still great, regardless.

- Tokai are a bit of an oddball, they're basically like Epi Elitists, but with a slightly thicker neck profile (Epi's neck is slimmer at the nut and gets a bit thicker as it goes to the higher frets - the Tokai profile doesn't get thinner at the nut). Their stock pickups and such are typically worse, but the guitars themselves are the same quality, and they're usually £100 or so cheaper, which offsets the more average electronics. Tokai also have some 'Custom Shop' options which can be applied to any of their Les Paul models, and bumps the price up into the £3000 range - but then, they're using AAAA tops, AA-grade mahogany in the bodies, everything is precision cut and they then use the best electronics and hardware money can buy. Easily beats the Gibson Custom Shop, and the basic models are also all great LP copies.

Then, there's also brands like Vintage, Rally, Michael Kelly, Agile, etc. Personally, I'm not fond of them. I've found one good Rally LP, but it needs heavy upgrading before it'll really be great. Vintage are like cheaper Epi's, occasionally they'll make a good one, but most of them are awful. Agile are basically Epi's but cheaper - at the cost of it not being quite the 'true' LP shape of course. Michael Kelly are god-awful, yet for some reason a few people on here have a huge raging hard-on for them. I don't understand the appeal personally, they're damn ugly and the three I've tried, the quality was really awful, which is appalling considering they cost more than mid-range Epis which are higher quality. But whatever floats your boat I guess.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Epi, Tokai, ESP, and Edwards are great bets.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Guys. Thanks a million. Some good info here and thanks again for your time putting it out there.
How about Agile? It's been reccomended to me, and seems to be a bargain compared to Epiphone. The AL-3000s are all out of stock, and they don't make them in Vintage Sunburst or Tobacco Sunburst. That's what's keeping me from buying one right now. They also look different, but I'm not too sure how. Cut off maybe? It looks odd on the Agile.
Quote by MAYNARD
I highly doubt Edwards are hand made. If they are, the hardware on them has gotta be atrocious.

i doubt they're completely hand-made either. i think they're production line. the hardware is gotoh, though, which is top notch.

regarding the original question- it really depends on budget. something like a navigator, high-end tokai or luthier-made copy would be nicer than a gibson, but then it's going to cost a similar amount of money to a "real" gibson.

assuming you want to save money, edwards, MIJ tokai, burny, greco, orville etc. would all be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jimbob78

Just make sure you get a Japanese model.

+1

with tokai etc., it's not always that easy to tell if you don't know what to look for (sometimes it does say "made in japan" on them, though).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrFlibble
Well, let's put custom made lone luthier copies out, because that's not exactly something just anyone can go and pick up today.

Best non-Gibson copies are Epiphone Elitists, ESP Eclipse, and the various Tokai models.

- Epi Elitists are Gibsons, but with a poly-finish instead of a nitro-based finish (so the Epi's finish is thicker - it won't 'age' over time so 'nicely' as the nitro finish does, but it's more resilient to scratching and denting, and it's less sticky, so personally I think it's actually an improvement), and with the Epi neck profile instead of the three Gibson profiles (but again, personally I think this is an improvement, I find the Epi profile far more comfortable than any other neck I've ever touched - and yes, I've tried all three Gibson necks). They cost about the same as a Gibson Studio and are easily the quality of a Gibson Standard. The only real downside is they can be very hard to get hold of, especially the Alpine White custom and the Faded Cherry standard plus finishes.

- ESP's Eclipse series are great LP copies, equal to Gibsons as far as quality goes, but they're more geared towards metal right off the shelf. If you're not into metal, they're easy enough to customise to be more suitable for other styles of playing. The quality is still great, regardless.

- Tokai are a bit of an oddball, they're basically like Epi Elitists, but with a slightly thicker neck profile (Epi's neck is slimmer at the nut and gets a bit thicker as it goes to the higher frets - the Tokai profile doesn't get thinner at the nut). Their stock pickups and such are typically worse, but the guitars themselves are the same quality, and they're usually £100 or so cheaper, which offsets the more average electronics. Tokai also have some 'Custom Shop' options which can be applied to any of their Les Paul models, and bumps the price up into the £3000 range - but then, they're using AAAA tops, AA-grade mahogany in the bodies, everything is precision cut and they then use the best electronics and hardware money can buy. Easily beats the Gibson Custom Shop, and the basic models are also all great LP copies.

Then, there's also brands like Vintage, Rally, Michael Kelly, Agile, etc. Personally, I'm not fond of them. I've found one good Rally LP, but it needs heavy upgrading before it'll really be great. Vintage are like cheaper Epi's, occasionally they'll make a good one, but most of them are awful. Agile are basically Epi's but cheaper - at the cost of it not being quite the 'true' LP shape of course. Michael Kelly are god-awful, yet for some reason a few people on here have a huge raging hard-on for them. I don't understand the appeal personally, they're damn ugly and the three I've tried, the quality was really awful, which is appalling considering they cost more than mid-range Epis which are higher quality. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Meh, I think they sound and play better, hence why I got one instead of the Epiphone. And they're a tad lighter.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
New epiphones are pretty poor, but the older ones were excellent guitars.
Also Orville made by Gibson are very good.
Japanese makes - Tokai - wow nothing better or closer really, except maybe MAX and they are incredibly expensive. You can get a good Jap Tokai for that money if you are careful, and you will blow away many peoples Gibsons, they are that good.
Greco - if you can find an old 78-83ish get one, great guitars
edwards- very good as well
Vintage - I have only tried these in store, seem better than the low end epiphones, but still cheap. look stunning though.

My advice, either get a used Gibson studio/special or if you want new a Tokai - again with the Tokai try and get Japanese build, not korean or chinese. They are hand built in Japan

If you spend that money on a used Tokai, prepare to be amazed, I actually have a Gibson special for sale by the way in classified, I am a uk forum member though.
Another guy is selling almost the same guitar and I think he is in Canada

cheers

Pete
Epi Elitist, Burny, Greco, Japanese Tokai, Edwards. Oh, and Epi haters FTL.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Old Tokais, Burny's, Orvilles, Grecos, are sometimes even better than the Gibsons.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Lil Macker
And they're a tad lighter.
That's really, really not a good sign. That typically means they're either made with inferior-grade wood, they're using completely incorrect wood, or they've been heavily chambered. Knowing Vintage guitars myself, I can tell right off the bat they're not chambered - which leaves you with two options. Their 'top' models are made with mahogany, but if you're finding it lighter then that screams cheap, low-grade mahogany, and all their other models are made of Eastern Poplar, which is like alder only with worse reaction to playing dynamics and with less sustain.

You're not exactly selling 'em well.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'll put my `04 Epi up against any LP gibby or otherwise..

the statement that Epi's are crap is pretty funny, Sept 1 price increase puts the Epi LP Custom @ over $800
Epiphones are jokes.

Two months down the line you'll regret spending anything on it. Pick ups suck, frets are un even (hard to tell but they are) the wood quality isn't half as good as other brands, it's just bleh. Your pick up selecter will F you up soon enough, the amount of money it costs to fix all the errors in these paddles (yes paddles aka oars) You could of just bought a higher end guitar. Not to mention there's so much thick plastic paint on it you could swear it's a guitar hero controller.
MIJ Burny, Greco, Edwards and recently, i stumbled upon Navigator by ESP. it's more expensive then Edwards though.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by nan0
Epiphones are jokes.

Two months down the line you'll regret spending anything on it. Pick ups suck, frets are un even (hard to tell but they are) the wood quality isn't half as good as other brands, it's just bleh. Your pick up selecter will F you up soon enough, the amount of money it costs to fix all the errors in these paddles (yes paddles aka oars) You could of just bought a higher end guitar. Not to mention there's so much thick plastic paint on it you could swear it's a guitar hero controller.

Somebody played a les paul special II i see.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Go with ESP. The EC series if your low on cash or the Eclipse if you have a little more to spend.
Quote by init24
Epiphones are a joke, don't degrade yourself like that
look into an agile or a japenese copy (greco, tokai, edwards...)

Why does everyone bash Epiphone? These days their quality is the same as gibson, hit and miss. Except Epiphones can actually be purchased without having to sell a kidney.
ESP, Edwards, Tokai, Burny, Greco, Zemaitis, Sugi, Ibanez, Aria ProII, Epiphone, Fernandes, Heritage, Taylor, Zodiac, Bacchus, Grassroots, LTD, Collings, Electromatic GRETSCH, Greco Zemaitis, K-Garage, Navigator, Photogenic, Taylor.

All these companies make LP style guitars, take you pick.
Page 1 of 3