Hi. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. Thinking of purchasing a bass guitar and combo. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good bass combo/practice bass amp around the £100/$200 price range.

It only needs to be around 20-30 watts, and I won't be playing gigs with it because I already play guitar in a band. It's just for practicing in my room.

I play mainly metal on guitar, so i'll probably be learning metallica, megadeth etc. on bass.
I've looked at the orange crush series, marshall MB series, anyone know anything about these or other brands. I don't need a distortion channel, just a 3 band EQ and preferably a line-out.
Thanks, Adam.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Last edited by Metfan1991 at Aug 28, 2008,
Do you mean a combination of a bass guitar and an amp or a combo bass amp?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Do you mean a combination of a bass guitar and an amp or a combo bass amp?

Just a bass combo, thanks.
Gear

Yamaha FX370C
Your not gonna get much for £100, maybe raise it to £200 and you be starting to find some decent stuff. i personally recommend an Ibanez GSR200.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by Metfan1991

I've looked at the orange crush series, marshall MB series,

Orange, I've heard good things about but have yet to find one to play.
Marshall, I'm not too fond of their bass amps.

I'd suggest maybe looking into peavey. Check the brands in the FAQ then look toward the bigger models of that.
When in doubt, read the FACK:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737491

Although, if you REALLY just want it to play in your room, if you're SURE about that... I might suggest one of the SWR LA series - probably the LA 10. The've got a great sound to them, 3-band eq, a quarter-inch out... the LA 15 cost me $300 USD brand spanking new, and I'm pretty sure the 12 and 10 are both cheaper.

Which brings me to my last point - you might want to seriously consider buying used. Save you some cash.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
When in doubt, read the FACK:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737491

Although, if you REALLY just want it to play in your room, if you're SURE about that... I might suggest one of the SWR LA series - probably the LA 10. The've got a great sound to them, 3-band eq, a quarter-inch out... the LA 15 cost me $300 USD brand spanking new, and I'm pretty sure the 12 and 10 are both cheaper.

Which brings me to my last point - you might want to seriously consider buying used. Save you some cash.

Where are the amps in the FAQ? When I read it it just tells you Ampeg Ashdown and Fender, no specific models.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
at the bottom.

but one amp is missing. I say the Acoustic AB50. love that amp, I do.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
don't take the orange for metal,

look at the ashdown (five-fifteen or ten) don't know how much they are inpounds.

btw. why is that guy talking about the gsr200?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by grifff
i have an Acoustic B200 combo amp, and it sounds great, but ive never played any of their smaller models, you might want to try a smaller model Acoustic.

the ab50 sounds better than this one, it's just not freakin loud enough to gig with. I can get away with it at my church but it makes me sad.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Neo Evil11
btw. why is that guy talking about the gsr200?

I thought he meant he wanted a bass/amp starter pack. Sorry, my bad.

I'd say go for a small Ashdown.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
I thought he meant he wanted a bass/amp starter pack. Sorry, my bad.

I'd say go for a small Ashdown.

I want your avatar!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I want your avatar!

Go ahead, take it.

Just kidding, it's mine, aaallll mine
Quote by skater dan0
I wrote this out for the FAQ, give it a read .
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I bought the Ashdown Perfect 10 for just under £100 based on the recommendation of the FAQ - more than happy with it. Good tone and more than loud enough for using at home. Great amp, just a stupid place to put the on/off switch
Quote by DrAsh
I bought the Ashdown Perfect 10 for just under £100 based on the recommendation of the FAQ - more than happy with it. Good tone and more than loud enough for using at home. Great amp, just a stupid place to put the on/off switch

if you want the ashdown buy the five-fifteen, a bit more money but you can perfectly play with a band with it!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by indie-bassist
I wrote this out for the FAQ, give it a read .

Hey thanks man, I'm going to take a look at the Ashdown models, since the bassist in my band uses a 300w Ashdown.
Gear

Yamaha FX370C