So I have been using the Interval Ear Trainer on musictheory.net and have improved a good bit over the past few weeks (30% correct to now regularly about 70-80% correct). My question is if it is worthwhile (or even possible) to train your ear to recognize an interval 100% of the time. Would my time be better spent now training my ear to distinguish different types of chords or scales? Should I get to the point I can recognize intervals 90% and then switch to chords and scales?

Also has anyone here trained their ear to be perfect or near perfect (not from natural ability)?
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
you should train everything at the same time. i do. mainly because the same thing over and over gets boring, and i think it's easier if your mind rests from the said training, and settle down the new information.
i'm about 95% on diatonic intervals now. about to go chromatic.
not the same with chords tho. i always mix up augmented and diminished
scales are pretty easy. it's just a matter of memorizing them. after a bit it gets really easy. i get also about 95% with aeolian, dorian and mixolydian + the major and minor scales.

i used to do the ear training on good ear, but i just got tired of all the random screeching happening in certain sections. does that happen to anyone else too btw?
Hmm interesting. Any one else have an opinion?

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
I think you should definately practice all of them (chords, scales, intervals) like i do. Although, i think you have a better ear than me as i just got 65% after a 100 intervals. Pretty poor.
Quote by PekarGuitar
So I have been using the Interval Ear Trainer on musictheory.net and have improved a good bit over the past few weeks (30% correct to now regularly about 70-80% correct). My question is if it is worthwhile (or even possible) to train your ear to recognize an interval 100% of the time. Would my time be better spent now training my ear to distinguish different types of chords or scales? Should I get to the point I can recognize intervals 90% and then switch to chords and scales?

Also has anyone here trained their ear to be perfect or near perfect (not from natural ability)?

Add chords and scales to your practice.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Thanks everyone I am adding scales and chord to my practice (although I'm not very good at them... yet). And s7706 don't worry, when I started interval training I was getting 30% on intervals Just try associating each interval to a song or a particular feeling it gives you. It just takes practice.

Quote by oddhawk676
It's completely possible. I get about 95% on intervals most of the time. Chords about 80%, augmented's get me too . And scales 100% lol, those are easy. But yeah, it's COMPLETELY possible. Just keep doing it. Make sure you play those chords out, same with scales and intervals.
Quote by PekarGuitar
Thanks everyone I am adding scales and chord to my practice (although I'm not very good at them... yet). And s7706 don't worry, when I started interval training I was getting 30% on intervals Just try associating each interval to a song or a particular feeling it gives you. It just takes practice.

Yeah like the Star Wars theme, a perfect fifth. I dont have a problem with that interval.
Quote by s7706
Yeah like the Star Wars theme, a perfect fifth. I dont have a problem with that interval.

anyone have a list or something, with some well known songs that the intervals relate to?
I've got:
m3rd= Smoke on the Water
M3rd= Kumbaya my lord
P4 = Australian national Anthem

... I had some other ones, but I've forgotten them