Want to get a point of view from some more experienced guitarist, the recording is in the profile, is it ok? Is there something i can do to improve it?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

well, i'd like to think i have a halfway decent ear so i'll just give you my opinoin.

seems a bit fizzy and not exactly the tight sound that metallica and other thrashers are known for. what's your EQ look like? what did you use to record, how loud was it, and what not. that could explain some of the fizzyness.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
the eq on the blackheart head is all on 5 and on the pedal its bass 7 mid 3 treble 8 gain 8 , and the volume is pretty low, bedroom level, and i used a shure sm57 mic to record it

although i'm not too experienced with 'heavier' tones, i'll give my opinion too.

it does indeed sound a bit fizzy, yet it doesn't sound SS-like and it sounds like it can be dialed out with EQ'ing. a bit more fine-tuning and you'll get there.
Hmmm. Your settings seem ok. I think on the head you should set them to the same levels as the pedal except gain
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
hmm....well, try EQing the amp alone. as in plug straight from guitar to amp. then get as close to the sound as you can. then plug in just the distortion pedal with everything at 5 and try tweaking everything from there. then crank the volume as loud as you can without getting yelled at/attacked by parents, siblings, girlfriends, wives, neighbors, police et cetera, et cetera.

then try different positioning with the mic. you can also get slightly different tonalities from different mic angles. also dont forget that the tone and volume knobs on your guitar, and different pickups can give you even more options.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Sounds fizzy and just not very good to me. Almost sounds like you're plugged straight to the pedal and then to the computer. Maybe try using less gain? I'd say less gain, more volume, EQ sounds ok, maybe a little bit more mids.

Edit: Of course I understand you might not be able to use more volume (neighbours/parents/such). Also, when recording something, the general recording process and the micing both play a very big part. With practice you'll get better. Also, what kind of mic preamp/mixer/something is the SM57 plugged into? If it's straight into your computer, what kind of a sound card do you have?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Sounds fizzy and just not very good to me. Almost sounds like you're plugged straight to the pedal and then to the computer. Maybe try using less gain? I'd say less gain, more volume, EQ sounds ok, maybe a little bit more mids.

Edit: Of course I understand you might not be able to use more volume (neighbours/parents/such). Also, when recording something, the general recording process and the micing both play a very big part. With practice you'll get better. Also, what kind of mic preamp/mixer/something is the SM57 plugged into? If it's straight into your computer, what kind of a sound card do you have?

Ye ill try some less gain, heard about that advice before but had forgot it :P The mic is plugged to a ART tube micpreamp which is connected to a line6 toneport interface , the interface aint so good i think

actually the tone port isnt too bad. what program are you using to record?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
actually the tone port isnt too bad. what program are you using to record?

i use audacity or reaper, can there be difference in tone if i use different programs? used audacity for this test

Hmm, it's pretty good but it's a little to "fuzzy" then the actual tone, if you remove or cut back on that it'd sound better.

By the way Reaper is alot better than Audacity, i used Audacity for a long time but then recently switched to Reaper and i must say it's a lot better program.
Last edited by Pennderinn at Aug 28, 2008,
cant get rid of the fizzyness, have tried different things for more than an hour now maby will help when i get my hellraiser with emgs

too fizzy and twangy imo
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
doesn't sound like crap... just so you know.

to improve it:
less bass, more mids, same/a little less treble.

that should help get you a bit more punchy/tight/clear tone.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
More mids!

No scooping!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
made a new one now, is it better or worse? , tommorrow im gonna tweak more and try to record at a louder volume