I'm looking to buy a new guitar. Nothing big like 500 bucks. Just like an Agile.... BESIDES THE POINT!!! I can't decide between like a TOM, or a Hardtail, String Through (and kind of non trem system) or a Floyd Rose... I've heard that when you have a trem system you cut out the wood and it loses tone cause there is less wood... but i've also heard that it isn't true... but i've also heard you get better tone from a on trem system... I had a Fender Squire Strat and i never really used the trem but i'm just a begginer and am taking lessons so i'm sure if i had one i could learn to use it... My hero is Paul Gilbert and he always uses no trem things... help would help.... thanks
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
i think you should try it for yourself and see what you like the best. make sure you like the floyd before you purchase one
I play a guitar strung with Yngwie's chest hair
if you are gonna get a cheap guitar dont bother with a floyd, they are usually more trouble than they are worth, due to tuning stability etc.

no trem generally means more sustain cos there is more wood in the body like you said.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
if you are gonna get a cheap guitar dont bother with a floyd, they are usually more trouble than they are worth, due to tuning stability etc.

no trem generally means more sustain cos there is more wood in the body like you said.

well if i would get a floyd I'd swap it out for an original... cause i heard that, like you said, some licensed Floyds suckk
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by Slay 'Em
NOT. Get a Kahler.

not a kahler fan... i've heard and watch comparisions of Floyds and Kahlers... so i'm not a fan
I got an Ibanez with an Edge pro and it stays in tune ad everything. But I do think its more trouble than its worth when it takes about 15 mins to change strings...
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If you aren't doing ridiculous tremolo stunts often, I see no reason to get a Floyd on a cheap guitar. Your guitar will be difficult to set up and keep in tune, and it isn't worth maintaining it if you aren't using the trem regularly.
Haven't read any replies.

Quote by shampooboy37
Opening post..

I would say that if you don't need a Floyd Rose, don't get one. They're a lot of hassle, and if you only use it hardly ever, there's really no point. All you're doing is losing a slight amount of tone etc and just getting all the cons of a FR, and not getting any of the pros. That is not to mention that, on a $500 guitar, you will not be getting an Original Floyd Rose (or OFR). What you'll be getting on any guitar in the price range is a Licensed Floyd Rose (or LFR), which is basically a cheap FR copy. These cheap trems are nothing but trouble, in my experience. They're usually cast from crap pot metal. They commonly crack and break down. An OFR is enough maintenance already, the extra headaches of a crap LFR is not worth it at all, in my opinion.

I would say that if you don't need a Floyd Rose, don't get one. They're a lot of hassle, and if you only use it hardly ever, there's really no point. All you're doing is losing a slight amount of tone etc and just getting all the cons of a FR, and not getting any of the pros. That is not to mention that, on a $500 guitar, you will not be getting an Original Floyd Rose (or OFR). What you'll be getting on any guitar in the price range is a Licensed Floyd Rose (or LFR), which is basically a cheap FR copy. These cheap trems are nothing but trouble, in my experience. They're usually cast from crap pot metal. They commonly crack and break down. An OFR is enough maintenance already, the extra headaches of a crap LFR is not worth it at all, in my opinion.
Agreed. The only good LFR's are the Gotoh licensed ones, the schaller LFR's and the Edge original/Lo-Pro Edge, and none of those come on low priced guitars. Hell, the Original/Lo pro edge go for about $200-300 on Ebay on their own.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 28, 2008,
id recomend spending more money if ur gonna go with a flyod
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube

+1
So will the usual fender trems stay in tune with a bit of use?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by shampooboy37
well if i would get a floyd I'd swap it out for an original... cause i heard that, like you said, some licensed Floyds suckk

Lol, Original floyd rose sets go around about 170$
Quote by shampooboy37
I'm looking to buy a new guitar. Nothing big like 500 bucks. Just like an Agile.... BESIDES THE POINT!!! I can't decide between like a TOM, or a Hardtail, String Through (and kind of non trem system) or a Floyd Rose... I've heard that when you have a trem system you cut out the wood and it loses tone cause there is less wood... but i've also heard that it isn't true... but i've also heard you get better tone from a on trem system... I had a Fender Squire Strat and i never really used the trem but i'm just a begginer and am taking lessons so i'm sure if i had one i could learn to use it... My hero is Paul Gilbert and he always uses no trem things... help would help.... thanks

If you don't think you will use a trem, don't get one. It doesn't have anything to do with being a beginner. I play guitar for more then 8 years, and I never used my trem, but if you are more into metal or something, you should check out the floyd rose.
Quote by shampooboy37

If you don't think you will use a trem, don't get one. It doesn't have anything to do with being a beginner. I play guitar for more then 8 years, and I never used my trem, but if you are more into metal or something, you should check out the floyd rose.
i really like floyd's, you MIGHT like the agile, i like mine's sound, but it needed a major setup out of the box, and FYI the Agile LP's with the floyd rose have an extremely awesome neck heel. it's almost non-existent. with their price now up to 280 though, i'd save another 100-150 dollars and get a charvel model 4 off of ebay