Today i took my epiphone SG to a guitar tech to get him to install an out-of-phase pickup switch - however, based on things people have told me and other posts around the forum where i've mentioned this, apparently you need at least a 2 conductor humbucker to get the phase mod to work without causing shielding issues. I just thought it would be more helpful to post it in here since theres more likely to be more experts on this subject here

so is it true that i need at least 2 conductors to effectively install a phase invert? i think the stock epiphone G-400 has single-conductor pickups, where the earth wire is also an insulation/shield. and what problems would having it wired up like this cause?

Its no problem if i can't do it with my G-400 without buying new pickups (can't afford new pickups) as i can easily go back to the shop tomorrow with my Ibanez JTK2 which does have 2-conductor humbuckers as stock.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Invader Jim
All pickups are at least 2-conductor. The braided shield is also the coil ground.

yes ok...

but would that be a problem for phase switching, since reversing the phase would result in essentially having the hot wire coiled around the earth wire?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
yes ok...

but would that be a problem for phase switching, since reversing the phase would result in essentially having the hot wire coiled around the earth wire?

The wires are electrically isolated. You can do anything with it as you could a 'normal' 2-conductor pup. It's fine.
Quote by Invader Jim
The wires are electrically isolated. You can do anything with it as you could a 'normal' 2-conductor pup. It's fine.

ok, its just that a few people have told me it would cause buzzing, as did the guy in the shop today who said that their tech didn't install the same modification because he said it would cause too much noise.

Well, it might cause some noise, but I doubt it'll be too bad. Heck, you could get some copper tape and shield the guitar if you have to. Plus, regular 2-conductor humbuckers don't have braided shields at all, and they sound fine.
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, it might cause some noise, but I doubt it'll be too bad. Heck, you could get some copper tape and shield the guitar if you have to. Plus, regular 2-conductor humbuckers don't have braided shields at all, and they sound fine.

am i just being un-necessarily worried about it then?

apologies for bumping the thread -

The technician in the shop said it'll be fine and if it does cause any problems he'll be happy to sort them out. So hopefully next week i'll have my SG back with the mod installed ready to make funny noises