so i got a new laptop, a Hewlett Packard Notebook. i think its 250 MB memory and a 2GB hard drive, although i know very little about specifics because im not a computer guy.

i dont know the model (or i cant find where it state the model number) but its the one with the mouse pad slightly off centre to the left, without the fingerprint scanner, and it has that black design with thin white wavy lines and circles on the outside.

is there anything i should watch out for, like problems other HP users have had? and since a laptop has less memory than a proper computer, will i be able to play games on it, like Pro Evo 08 or Assassin's Creed, for example?

im really not heavily into computers, and i'll be using this primarily for university, but it would be nice to chill with some Pro Evo. i would also like to put some sort of music recording software on it, like "Guitar Rig" or "Ableton". are the memory limitations on my laptop an obstacle to using all this software and games?

sorry if i come across as a computer noob, but that is what i am and i would really appreciate some advice on the aforementioned topics.

thanks
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
If those are the specs then you are lucky that computer runs the internet haha.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
250mb of memory and 2gb hard drive? That's terrible dude. How much did you pay for this piece of ****?

i just got a new laptop for school too, mine's a duo core 1.9ghz, 3gb of ram, 160gb harddrive Lenovo. i can't wait til it arrives tmw
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
well i highly doubt you have 250mb of ram and 2gb of hard drive. If you do, then you must have bought a 10 year old laptop. Secondly, laptops function just like a "proper" computer. Anything you can do on a desktop you can do on a laptop. But if those are you specs, then no you wont be able to play games on it.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
it does have internet but im waiting to install norton on it before i connect up and register. as i said im not sure of the memory specs, but in general do laptops have enough memory/space etc for music software and a couple of games?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
If those are his specs it isn't even worth using as a beer coaster.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
it sounds like ypu reversed the ram and the hd lol
congrats man, i gotta new one too
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by Ace88

i just got a new laptop for school too, mine's a duo core 1.9ghz, 3gb of ram, 160gb harddrive Lenovo. i can't wait til it arrives tmw

this is the kind of stuff i only half understand and then i forget it.....
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by nebiru
If those are the specs then you are lucky that computer runs the internet haha.

2gb of Hard Drive and 250mb of RAM? That's not new bud.. I mean it was when it came out.. it sound like its the first laptop every produced.. about 2 decades ago, hahaha
yea, you probably have 2gb of ram and 250 gb of hard drive space. if thats the case, which i think it is, then yea you can have music software and games. However, depending on what games you play and whether or not they are graphics intensive, you may lag a little bit.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
Get a portable HD. Best 150-200 bucks you'll ever spend bro.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by manic
well i highly doubt you have 250mb of ram and 2gb of hard drive. If you do, then you must have bought a 10 year old laptop. Secondly, laptops function just like a "proper" computer. Anything you can do on a desktop you can do on a laptop. But if those are you specs, then no you wont be able to play games on it.

actually no, the major problem with laptops and games is that most new games have very high demands and due to its obvious size the required components are not often present because they produce way too much heat for the laptop case to handle thus having many overheating problems. Im not saying it is impossible, but it is way more expensive. Also he may have gotten one of the new laptops with the solid state drive (SSD) no moving parts = no breaking hdd
yeah i got the specs mixed up: its 250GB of hard disk and 2GB of ram (whatever that is).

dont games need graphics cards as well, or special processor needs and the like? do laptops these days have pre-installed graphics cards etc?

al i really want in terms of entertainment is one or two games and music recording software.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by Chaosinborn
actually no, the major problem with laptops and games is that most new games have very high demands and due to its obvious size the required components are not often present because they produce way too much heat for the laptop case to handle thus having many overheating problems. Im not saying it is impossible, but it is way more expensive. Also he may have gotten one of the new laptops with the solid state drive (SSD) no moving parts = no breaking hdd

Well, I've got a 1.83ghz, 4 GB of RAM, 17 inch 16:10 screen, and a 320 (or was it 360?) GB HD in my laptop and it hasn't melted yet playing any games.
Quote by elekguit
Get a portable HD. Best 150-200 bucks you'll ever spend bro.

+1 I put all of my music on my USB hard drive; so I don't have to worry about space.

I've heard that HP's are great; but I've had friends tell me that on the very few occasions they do screw up; it's usually something really bad. As long as you keep all the anti-virus stuff updated I don't think you'd have a problem though.

AVG Free and Spybot are great(do a Google search on both. Generally desktops are ideal for guitar recording etc unless you have some kind of media package laptop or something; but as long as the specs are decent it shouldn't be a bother.

Did you mean 250 GB hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM?
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
get us the real specs and we could tell you haha
but from my experience hp laptops are solid computers
so are the desktops
i'm running an HP desktop
intel q6700 quad-core running at 2.66ghz(beast if a processor)
only 2gb of ram(upgrading to 6 soon)
320gb HD
256mb nvidia geforce
windows vista premium 64 bit(runs flawlessly) and fedora linux(amazing)
Quote by Ace88
250mb of memory and 2gb hard drive? That's terrible dude. How much did you pay for this piece of ****?

2GB hard-drive is the sorta size you'd get on an average PC around 1997.

By the way, the TS clearly has

2GB OF RAM AND A 250GB HARD-DRIVE. WHICH IS SWEET FOR A NEW LAPTOP.
thank you, Jackolas.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Damn...your pc is pretty chill
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Quote by Chaosinborn

Most laptops automatically come with software that lets you know if it's getting overheated and will shut down by itself when there's risk of anything getting messed up.

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Quote by OffspringPhreak
I've heard that HP's are great; but I've had friends tell me that on the very few occasions they do screw up; it's usually something really bad. As long as you keep all the anti-virus stuff updated I don't think you'd have a problem though.
Purely coincidental if the problems are caused through lack of proper virus protection. HP produce a good BIOS, it's more likely to be caused by ****ty vista than HP.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Quote by J-B
Purely coincidental if the problems are caused through lack of proper virus protection. HP produce a good BIOS, it's more likely to be caused by ****ty vista than HP.

True; but these were running XP. I'd definitely believe that they messed up from viruses or something other than the computers themselves.

I almost forgot-- One of my friends has an HP that was made back in 2000; that he still uses. Other than a few upgrades; he's only had to replace the screen. He recently got a new laptop(a nice Toshiba; Those are supposed to be good too.); but still uses the HP for certain things.

Cufk, TisH, Sips
okay guys thanks for your input, sorry for the noobiness!
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by Jackolas

2GB hard-drive is the sorta size you'd get on an average PC around 1997.

By the way, the TS clearly has

2GB OF RAM AND A 250GB HARD-DRIVE. WHICH IS SWEET FOR A NEW LAPTOP.

This is what I was going to say. You just got them the wrong way around, TS.
http://www.canyourunit.com There you can check your computers specs and can it run AC for example.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
i just got the specs for my laptop:

HP Pavilion DV9850 Entertainment Laptop

3 GB memory

250 GB hard drive

AMD Turion 64x2 Processor TL-68 (2.40 GHz, 1600MHz, 1MB Cache)

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 graphics card

Graphics memory = 1535 MB

(there were also a couple of other things but i left them out)

so what i want to know is can i play assassins creed and pro evo 08 on it/how powerful is it for games?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

heres my specs
Core 2 Duo 2ghz
4gb ram
win vista home prem. 64bit
nvidia geforce 9700gt 512ram
who cares about the rest ima go play crysis
Dick+strings= owww
Not too bad at all LedZeppelin9345 , you should be able to play almost any game on that - just not at the highest settings.
Quote by Jackolas
Not too bad at all LedZeppelin9345 , you should be able to play almost any game on that - just not at the highest settings.

cool - thats what i wanted to know. thanks.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.