Hi,
I'm about to buy a new tube amp combo. I have decided a half stack is to expensive and loud for my needs. It will be used for small to medium gigs and home practise. I play in a rock/metal band so a good distortion is ideal. However, a good clean would be priorty as if I have to I could use a distortion pedal. I do not need any good FX such as reverb etc. as I will use my pod xt live for this. I want to keep the price low (below £600) but I'm open to any possibilities. I am going to my local guitar store soon however I want to know everything I can before my visit as it is quite a drive away from me.
From my research the amps I feel will suit my needs are:
-MARSHALL DSL 401
-MARSHALLTSL 601 :USED
-FENDER HOT ROD
-PEAVEY VALVEKING 112
-PEAVEY CLASSIC
(Yes it is a long list, will be narrowed when I try them out.)
Opinions on these amps/any other possibilities would be greatly apreciated.
Cheers
You should check out the Laney TT50 which has a plentiful amount of gain for most types of metal, and surprisingly nice cleans to boot. I don't really know what price it's meant to be, as Dolphin music has it listed for both £550 and £900. I've never seen another dealer for this amp so i don't really know what's going on

Or maybe a Bugera of sorts as they're meant to have nicer cleans than their 6505 counterparts. Orange Rocker 30 would be quite nice, although they are a wee bit over budget (around £630), but i'm sure their sound would make up for that
Laneys are a good bet, used Orange would be good if you don't mind using a pedal for metal sounds as it can't do them on its own (why I'm selling mine).

Bugera seems to be flavour of the month but they are VERY loud and there must be some reason they are so cheap.
Im gonna follow this thread, im in need of actually the exact same thing as you, allthough I dont care about the price, aslong as its the right combo tube amp for me
Quote by BarnesGuitar

-MARSHALL DSL 401 Have not tried it, can't say
-MARSHALLTSL 601 :USED Have not tried it, can't say
-FENDER HOT ROD You said rock/metal band? No, blues/jazz sure, not a metal amp IMO
-PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 I like this amp, event tho people dog it and say it isn't a metal amp, I disagree. Try cranking one, plenty metal IMO. But there are better for the $$$ on the used market
-PEAVEY CLASSIC Gets up to Metal territory on the gain channel, early metal so would need some kind of help for the br00tlZ
(Yes it is a long list, will be narrowed when I try them out.)
Opinions on these amps/any other possibilities would be greatly apreciated.
Cheers

Add a Randall RG50tf, Bugera 333 or 6260 and Traynor YCV50 to the list. The Traynor may not have enough gain on tap, but it's worth a try too. I guess I didn't help you narrow your search, sorry!
not sure what you classify as "metal," but with my Peavey Classic 30, JJ High gain tubes, and a Les Paul with humbuckers, I can get a very loud and punchy sound. It's at least a good base for a sound that you can then shape with an eq pedal. Plus it has great cleans. They can be had for cheap if you find one used, just keep your eyes peeled.
Thanks to all the posts,
afraid I live to far away to even consider buying your orange rocker,
but thanks to all the other suggestions.
will try them out when I go to my store.
I was also thinking of maybe: Orange Tiny Terror Head and a small Marshall 2 x 12 ( only cos orange cabs are very expensive)
or,
Valveking 100 Head and a small Marshall 2 x 12 (only as I've heard the valveking speakers are crap)

Opinions and more suggestions wanted.
Cheers.
Last edited by BarnesGuitar at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by BarnesGuitar
Thanks to all the posts,
afraid I live to far away to even consider buying your orange rocker,
but thanks to all the other suggestions.
will try them out when I go to my store.
I was also thinking of maybe: Orange Tiny Terror Head and a small Marshall 2 x 12 ( only cos orange cabs are very expensive)
or,
Valveking 100 Head and a small Marshall 2 x 12 (only as I've heard the valveking speakers are crap)

Opinions and more suggestions wanted.
Cheers.

I'd say that the Tiny Terror wouldn't be loud enough for your medium gigs.

Oh, and check out
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Pretty budget cabs, but you can choose your speakers. You can even get a cab with orange tolex, to match Orange amps.

And in your budget, I would look at things other than the ValveKing.
cheers,
anyone got any experience with bugera amps?
they seem excellent tone/ value for money.
but new and possibly un reliable...
Last edited by BarnesGuitar at Aug 29, 2008,
Oranges and Laneys are the way to go in the UK. The Marshalls are a bit mediocre, as is the valveking. The HRD has fantastic cleans but a very meh drive channel. Lopok at a Laney VC 30 or some sort of Orange
I know you say you want to keep your price lower than £600, but if you could push to £630, an Orange Rocker 30 would be fantastic. And it would satisfy your needs to for a long time.

If you get a DSL401, change the speaker, because I've found with my DSL that when I crank it, the speaker gets muddy. Also, I'm not sure if a Tiny Terror could handle small gigs.
Please suggest amps that you think would suit my needs, even if it is slightly over budgest. (I'm prepared to buy second hand.) So if you think you know the ultimate amp for me, don't hestitate to suggest
Last edited by BarnesGuitar at Aug 30, 2008,
The peaveys are nice... and as overbudget as this would be, I love mesa!
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Hi,
thinking along the lines of a bugera 333 xl combo at the moment. or possibly get the head and a 2 x 12 cabinet, but does anyone know any advantages of doing the later of these options?
i want it to be loud enough for medium gigs as I said
but I don't want it to be so loud that putting it at 1 in bedroom practise would kill me
ahaha
thanks
(welcome to more options still)
The bugeras have a master volume, but I don't think they'll be suitable at all for bedroom practicing. If you buy a 2x12 cab you can get better speakers than what would come in a bugera 4x12 probably. The cab would probably be built better too so even if you got a new amp the cab could stay with you forever.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The bugeras have a master volume, but I don't think they'll be suitable at all for bedroom practicing. If you buy a 2x12 cab you can get better speakers than what would come in a bugera 4x12 probably. The cab would probably be built better too so even if you got a new amp the cab could stay with you forever.

Many thanks for the reply.
I agree that they are not ideal for bedroom practise, but the thing is, I am more interested in having something that can reach the capabilities of my medium gigs, than an awesome practise amp.
Wise information on purchasing the 2x12 cab though, thanks.
Would you recommend a particular brand?
I thought maybe that marshall 2x12, not very knowledgably in this field though.
Cheers.
I don't know very much about cabs either, but the thing with the 2x12 just makes sense. What do you think will be better quality a 300 dollar 4x12 or a 300 dollar 2x12?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I might advise you to stray away from Bugera. They have SERIOUS reliability issues. It would be better to spend the extra cash on the Rocker 30 IMO.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I might advise you to stray away from Bugera. They have SERIOUS reliability issues. It would be better to spend the extra cash on the Rocker 30 IMO.

sorry
didn't see your post at first,
thanks for the advice
can I ask have you had any experience owning them/ know someone that owns one?
and if not what makes you say bad reliabilty?
cheers