Page 1 of 4
Okay, here's the story. My band has bought a lot of equipment lately, guitars/bass/keyboards, etc. Well, now our singer wants us to try to write some Death Metal/Solo Metal, and personally I don't have any guitars that are THAT heavy sounding that I'd like to take to jams. If I'm using my signature, you'll see my line of axes. They're pretty metal, but I really only use them for stage use. My other guitars are old, and use them for jams so I can abuse 'em a little bit, 'cause we play Psychadelic Rock/Classic Rock.

So, I could use some suggestions for a heavy metal/solo metal axe for less than $750.
Something that sounds very heavy, is pretty light(preferrably) and has a Floyd Rose in it for dive-bombs. Neck-Thru is preferred, but not completely necessary. All suggestions help.
-Thanks
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

So you want a new guitar that you can take to jams because you dont want to use your current, nice, expensive guitars?

(Just making sure this is the situation)

What happened with the ibanez as well?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
you have an explorer with emg's and an explorer with invaders and yet thats not heavy enough? god why not build a guitar out of steel lol
you have some very nice guitars, i would give a testicle to own one of them

anyway back onto the topic, a cheap metal guitar that i can think of is that new prophecy line by epiphone, a lot of people will scoff but they're good value for money and seem quite good guitars, you should check them out, i think some of them have all the features you described

edit: oo iv just looked at all the other guitar ranges people have posted, im gonna get so flamed for suggesting epiphone

ah well
SL3 second hand.
/thread

(or DK2M new if youre happy with a bolt on too)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I'd certainly go with an Ibanez. If you want a great trem, get an 'S' series and if you want a neck-thru then get the RGT42. It's just getting replaced by the RGT6EX so the RGT42 is dirt cheap right now. You may need to upgrade the pups but in every other respect it's exactly what you want and realistically, any guitar you buy at that price will benefit from better pups.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I got the Ibanez, I'm waiting for it to get here, but that was $1000, so I don't wanna kill it, plus I'm gonna change the pickups in the Ibz, so I don't wanna beat it up too bad. That's why I want a cheaper one. 'Cause I KNOW it's gonna be massively abused.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by julian2k4
hahahaha yea ibanez are sooo metal DUDE like totally

get an esp or a jackson, or a dean,

dont get a ****ing ibanez

You are an IDIOT.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by CaparisonCore
I got the Ibanez, I'm waiting for it to get here, but that was $1000, so I don't wanna kill it, plus I'm gonna change the pickups in the Ibz, so I don't wanna beat it up too bad. That's why I want a cheaper one. 'Cause I KNOW it's gonna be massively abused.

Just don't abuse it....

You JUST bought a perfect guitar for metal. Use it.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by Ze_Metal
You can handle heavy music now, it's all in your amp and pedals.

+1
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by CaparisonCore

the S or the RG?
still , great decision, shove a SD distortion in the bridge or get some high output dimarzio's / active PU's and you'll be good to go for a looong time
I got the RG2570. It's my first Ibanez, and it's not even here yet xD

My amp is a Marshall JVM Stack
Pedal-wise: Boss OD-20 Drive Zone, DigiTech RP350, TS9 Tube Screamer
That should be fine, I would think.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

^ Hm, JVM should be okay seeing as how your boosting it.

But if youve got 750 dollars to spend, find a used Peavey 5150 on ebay. (Or 6505)

Theres no better amp for heavy/death metal in that price range. Brutal amp indeed.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I thought the likes of Caparison or Gibsons with EMG's would cut through in a metal band.
They do, but I don't wanna worry about abusing them at Jam's. I'm getting a new axe JUST for practice/jam sessions. All my main guitars are for stage use.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

BC Rich warbeast or NJ DLX V

OFR and neckthroughs plus EMGS(V) for 750
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by julian2k4
hahahaha yea ibanez are sooo metal DUDE like totally

get an esp or a jackson, or a dean,

dont get a ****ing ibanez

What is so wrong with them exactly?

I find Ibanez RGs and S series to be good for metal

Don't get a Dean, whatever you do. They are overpriced and have terrible tone.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
you bought a guitar in 30 mins?

damn, thats stupid.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
you bought a guitar in 30 mins?

damn, thats stupid.

He bought the ibanez a few days ago.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
dude you bought the ibanez... and you want a guitar to play metal?

you might as well just stick to your explorer, ibanez guitars are not metal

and if you dont think so why dont you name me some heavy metal guitar players that use an ibanez

and if your thinking herman li, then dont bother because i dont want to hear opinions from imbeciles
rg370dx with breeds
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by julian2k4
dude you bought the ibanez... and you want a guitar to play metal?

you might as well just stick to your explorer, ibanez guitars are not metal

and if you dont think so why dont you name me some heavy metal guitar players that use an ibanez

and if your thinking herman li, then dont bother because i dont want to hear opinions from imbeciles

'Cos you're not biased at all

Metal players that use Ibanez? Try Matt Bachand (Shadows Fall), Chris Broderick (of a certain band in your avatar), Noah Carpenter (Skinless) to name a few.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Gibson Commemorative Fyling V - '57 Classics

uhhh..... Why get a new one when you have that????

anyways....I've seen warlocks for like 500$...cool looking see through ones too

dunno if they're any good....

I know the only ESP I like is like 650 or something...it kinda looks like a Les Paul...but has cooler colors :P

anyways...I always thought most gibsons were pretty good for metal....I mean if Adrian from Iron Maiden can use a ****ing strat for iron maiden....and didn't randy rhoads use a flying V too? as welll as whatever the **** the guy from metalica's name is..
heh...yea shadowfalls....great metal band ...anyway....

oh of course how could i forget Chris Broderick i mean his solos are great landmark sfuff...oh wait he has never recorded single note with megadeth

megadeth had 3 guitarists, chris poland, jeff young, and of course marty friedman(wait a sec none use ibanez..wierd...). any other is basically just a studio musician. hired by megadeth, dont worry we'll have a new megadeth guitarist in no time.

anyone else?
^ dumbass, marty has a ibanez signature guitar. although that was long after he left megadeth.

anyway some other ibanez users in metal bands are tim roth ( into eternity), Muhammad Suicmez (necrophagist), and i'm pretty sure alex skolnick used to use ibanez. jack owen (cannibal corpse) has an ibanez, and kirk hammett had an ibanez in the early 90's,

you are an idiot.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Last edited by MAKETHEMSUFFER! at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by julian2k4
heh...yea shadowfalls....great metal band ...anyway....

oh of course how could i forget Chris Broderick i mean his solos are great landmark sfuff...oh wait he has never recorded single note with megadeth

megadeth had 3 guitarists, chris poland, jeff young, and of course marty friedman(wait a sec none use ibanez..wierd...). any other is basically just a studio musician. hired by megadeth, dont worry we'll have a new megadeth guitarist in no time.

anyone else?

No, they're called Shadows Fall. And yes they are a metal band.

Both guitarists from Job For A Cowboy, unless you've decided that they're pop or something, Mick Thompson of Slipknot (I know they're nu-metal but he has a very metal tone), Chris Anderson (Through The Eyes Of The Dead), Martin Hagstrom (Meshuggah), Muhammed Sucimez (sp?) of Necrophagist, Eyal Levi (Daath), Jani Liimatainen (Sonata Artica). That enough?

And just hating a brand of guitar because its cool is really quite sad.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
take a look at jackson dk2M. the body is light and confortable+ the neck whit the maple fretboard is SUPER fast
around 500- 600 $
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!
^ dumbass, marty has a ibanez signature guitar. although that was long after he left megadeth.

anyway some other ibanez users in metal bands are tim roth ( into eternity), Muhammad Suicmez (necrophagist), and i'm pretty sure alex skolnick used to use ibanez. jack owen (cannibal corpse) has an ibanez, and kirk hammett had an ibanez in the early 90's,

you are an idiot.

ah perfect example jackass, marty switched to ibanez the same reason he quit megadeth....he got tired metal....he didnt wanna do it anymore he got bored of it. have you heard any of his new stuff, its not bad its just not metal, doesnt mean i dont like friedman hes great.

oh and i forgot to say gay ass german black metal bands dont count
^ are you a ****ing retard? necrophagist is tech death, and far from gay and black metal. i think someone here is a poser.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Quote by julian2k4
oh and i forgot to say gay ass german black metal bands dont count

FAIL.

They're technical death metal and they have infinitely more talent than you will ever have. And it's still metal. Muhammed also has an incredible tone and is an amazing guitarist. Clearly you know nothing about metal, or guitar by the sounds of it.

EDIT: ^ what he said.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Friendly Stoat
No, they're called Shadows Fall. And yes they are a metal band.

Both guitarists from Job For A Cowboy, unless you've decided that they're pop or something, Mick Thompson of Slipknot (I know they're nu-metal but he has a very metal tone), Chris Anderson (Through The Eyes Of The Dead), Martin Hagstrom (Meshuggah), Muhammed Sucimez (sp?) of Necrophagist, Eyal Levi (Daath), Jani Liimatainen (Sonata Artica). That enough?

And just hating a brand of guitar because its cool is really quite sad.

hmm i think you forgot to name the guys from korn

**** dude is there any real metalheads in this board?? JOB FOR A COWBOY?!?!?! really?? so i guess im alone

Death to False Metal.
Quote by julian2k4

**** dude is there any real metalheads in this board?? JOB FOR A COWBOY?!?!?! really?? so i guess im alone

Death to False Metal.

Funny how you didn't notice the others in the list.

You fail so hard. And you like jumping on bandwagons it seems.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by julian2k4

Death to False Metal.

yes, there are many. you just aren't one of them. poser.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
did the system of a down guy call me a poser... ha...ha...ha....

not to mention you guys are mentioning like in total youve all mentioned about 10 people tops....ask me how many i can mention that DONT use ibanez and are metal gods

and no i do not listen to black or death metal, because its boring and i dont like music with barriers on it
^ did i ever say they are metal? because they sure as hell aren't. you know, i am allowed to like other genres of music. and yes, there plenty of people who don't use ibanez but that doesn't mean their guitars aren't capable of playing metal. and death and black don't have " barriers" on it, the only barrier is the one on your head for being so damn close minded. if you wan't boring and unoriginal go listen to the majority of metalcore.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Last edited by MAKETHEMSUFFER! at Aug 28, 2008,
Page 1 of 4