How does scales help with making riffs and soloing?

I'll may add more questions later, as I may have forgot a couple.

Please answer in simple idiot proof steps.
Last edited by NKF176 at Aug 28, 2008,
1. Yes it is.

2.Sorry, I confused you earlier. I was confused by your question also. 7th is the extension to the chord. A regular minor chord is 1 b3 5.

3. Yes, there are many different types of scales. They are used to create riffs/solos

4. Basically minor has a sad sound, major a happy sound. But it goes deeper then that, not sound wise.
Yes.

Also, sorry about confusing you on your last thread. Like I said, misread and then things got to spammy after that.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by NKF176
And root in this case is open?

Root note is the note that defines a chord or a scale. Say you have C E G. That's 1 3 5. If you know that "1" is the root can you determine that this C E G is a c major chord. Understand?

Alright, scales are a series of notes in an octave that basically sound good together. It starts with the major scale, everything on guitar stems from that scale. If I were to explain everything about scales it would take a while, so i'll leave it at that for now.

To create riffs and solos all you need to do ( remember, this is just a simple lesson everything goes deeper) is create a rhythm using the notes in the scale. A lot of popular scales have 7 notes in them, with one exception to the pentatonic scale which has 5 notes. I don't study exotic scales but I'm pretty sure a lot of scales have either 5 or 7 notes.

The most popular scales are Major , Natural Minor, Pentatonic (Major and Minor), and Harmonic minor. There are other scales but if you were curious those would be a good start. However I always suggest learning the major scale first.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by NKF176
How does scales help with making riffs and soloing?

I'll may add more questions later, as I may have forgot a couple.

Please answer in simple idiot proof steps.

How does knowing the ins and outs of grammar and the alphabet help with writing and speaking?

That's pretty much how it works...read the Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com