Are augmented chords used in classical (orchestral) music? And do you have to include the dominant seventh with them? Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
For my input, I have no knowledge on classical use of an augmented chord, but I imagine it's used rarely. In contemporary music, you don't 'have' to do anything, I sometimes play augmented triads which sound fine. In a minor progression, an augmented seventh chord gives great resolution though.

EDIT: Googled, an "Italian chord: ibreathemusic Forums
They have a discussion on the use of Italian, French, and German sixth chords, which are used for voice leading. Not sure if this helps.

And I'm sorry if that's considered third party, I just googled it. I'll remove it if anyone tells me to.
Last edited by st.stephen at Aug 28, 2008,
they are used when needed in classical, i wouldnt say rarely, but full of them
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
nah, augmented chords aren't used often in classical music. and no, you don't have to include a seventh note. an augmented chord is by definition root - major third - augmented fifth
I don't know if it's use a lot in classical music. But you don't need the 7th. Just the first, augmented third (I think) and Augmented 5th
Okay thanks! I'm currently writing an orchestral piece in E Spanish Phrygian, and I use a Caug here and there.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
not in classical music, if you're using the term 'classical' in the strictest sense

but late romantic/early 20th century composers often made use of augmented chords & whole tone scales... Debussy's impressionistic strokes of watery expansiveness in 'La Mer' uses that kind of tonality... and the Russian-influenced harmonies of Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' also use augmented chords all over the place... Schoenberg, Bartok, Webern... augmented triads all over the place
out of here
Quote by st.stephen
For my input, I have no knowledge on classical use of an augmented chord, but I imagine it's used rarely. In contemporary music, you don't 'have' to do anything, I sometimes play augmented triads which sound fine. In a minor progression, an augmented seventh chord gives great resolution though.

EDIT: Googled, an "Italian chord: ibreathemusic Forums
They have a discussion on the use of Italian, French, and German sixth chords, which are used for voice leading. Not sure if this helps.

And I'm sorry if that's considered third party, I just googled it. I'll remove it if anyone tells me to.

Be careful to not confuse augmented chords with Augmented sixth chords.

The augmented chord consists of a root, major third, and augmented fifth, as we know.

An augmented sixth chord contains the interval of an augmented sixth. This is enharmonic to a minor seventh, but the voice leading is different; where the minor 7th would normally resolve down, the augmented sixth resolves up. This chord usually acts as a predominant, and is one half step higher than the dominant.

So, for example, the Italian augmented sixth contains a root, major third, and augmented sixth. In the key of C, it would be Ab, C, and F# (remember, it's a half step above the dominant). Both the Ab and the F# would resolve to G, and the C would probably resolve to B.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by RCalisto
^ according to wikipedia augmented sixth chords are 1 - #4 - b6

I gave the intervals in relation to the "root" of the Italian Augmented. Your intervals are correct relative to the key. Either way works, I suppose, depending on what you find easier.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
Be careful to not confuse augmented chords with Augmented sixth chords.

The augmented chord consists of a root, major third, and augmented fifth, as we know.

An augmented sixth chord contains the interval of an augmented sixth. This is enharmonic to a minor seventh, but the voice leading is different; where the minor 7th would normally resolve down, the augmented sixth resolves up. This chord usually acts as a predominant, and is one half step higher than the dominant.

So, for example, the Italian augmented sixth contains a root, major third, and augmented sixth. In the key of C, it would be Ab, C, and F# (remember, it's a half step above the dominant). Both the Ab and the F# would resolve to G, and the C would probably resolve to B.

You're absolutely right, I was just googling for proof to back up my statement and I thought this was interesting and sort of relevant. I don't know enough about augmented sixth chords to be any use in a discussion, and now I see that I brought in an irrelevant element to the discussion, only confusing people.

EDIT:
Quote by psychodelia
I gave the intervals in relation to the "root" of the Italian Augmented. Your intervals are correct relative to the key. Either way works, I suppose, depending on what you find easier.

I re-read your analysis and I found the way you explained it, in relation to the root, easier to understand, and I compliment you on aiding me. Thanks
Last edited by st.stephen at Aug 28, 2008,
I'm studying a mozart piece in school and theres an augmented chord used to bridge the gap in a key change
Quote by st.stephen
You're absolutely right, I was just googling for proof to back up my statement and I thought this was interesting and sort of relevant. I don't know enough about augmented sixth chords to be any use in a discussion, and now I see that I brought in an irrelevant element to the discussion, only confusing people.

EDIT:
I re-read your analysis and I found the way you explained it, in relation to the root, easier to understand, and I compliment you on aiding me. Thanks

Sorry, mate; don't be too hard on yourself. I always assumed augmented sixth chords were augmented until I learned about them in class, and since these particular chords do appear in classical music, they aren't completely irrelevant to the topic.