So anyway, here's my situation. I have a decent guitar (MIM Tele + Duncan hotrails/vintage stack), some fun pedals that I love (weeping demon, digitech whammy) but a crappy amp (Crate GT15). Anyway, I know my amp is holding me back, but the thing is, I'm not unsatisfied with the sound in any real way...it does basically everything I need it to do. I buy pedals to give me different sounds, not better sound, and was looking at the Big Muff Pi for some fuzz and have more options in terms of the type of distortion I can achieve. I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to get a Big Muff for such a crappy amp like my Crate, or if it would still sound alright.

Thanks.
crazy talking animals
yeah, people say that you should spend about 3/4 of the money that you spent on your guitar, on your amp. Go somewhere (like a music shop) with your guitar, plug it in to a nice amp (and I mean a nice amp like a marshall all tube like one of the JCM Stacks or the Vintage Modern. Then have another look at the pedal and your amp.
How much are you willing to spend? If you save a bit more you can get a pretty nice tube amp, which will deffently give you a few new sounds. The Big Muff is awesome though, but it will sound much harsher through a solid state, which you may like.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
yeah, people say that you should spend about 3/4 of the money that you spent on your guitar, on your amp. Go somewhere (like a music shop) with your guitar, plug it in to a nice amp (and I mean a nice amp like a marshall all tube like one of the JCM Stacks or the Vintage Modern. Then have another look at the pedal and your amp.

Well yes, I see that all the time and I have played through very nice amps at GC and such and yes, they all sound very good. And then yes, I do come back and realize that my amp doesn't sound as good. But that doesn't really bother me...my Crate still gets the job done. And with knob turning, I can get my Crate to sound pretty much how I want it to sound whenever, though obviously not as "good" as the big expensive tube amps. And since I don't do any gigging, recording, or anything outside of just messing around in my room, that isn't that big a deal for me.

I do plan to upgrade my amp eventually, but right now I don't really feel the need to.
crazy talking animals
Quote by FeiRei
How much are you willing to spend? If you save a bit more you can get a pretty nice tube amp, which will deffently give you a few new sounds. The Big Muff is awesome though, but it will sound much harsher through a solid state, which you may like.

Well the Big Muff is like $80 and I know the cheapest decent 5w tube amps are like $150-200 (valve jr, champ 600, valveking), so both together is already way more than I was originally planning to spend on the pedal alone.
crazy talking animals
If you want the sound of the big muff then go for it unless you have funds for a little tube amp soon, i played a big muff through a fender frontman which isn't the best amp but the sound wasn't too shabby.
Unlike what most people around here say, I don't see anything wrong with getting a good pedal whilst saving for a good amp.
a big muff through a cheap solid state amp won't bea fuzz, it will sound more like an overdrive. its not that much distortion unless you pair it with another pedal
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
a big muff through a cheap solid state amp won't bea fuzz, it will sound more like an overdrive. its not that much distortion unless you pair it with another pedal

not true. It will still sound like a fuzz whether you put it through a headphone amp or an all tube Marshall stack.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 28, 2008,
not true, it doesn't sound like a fuzz through my cheap fender frontman amp. its not really a fuzz pedal, its kind of a cross between a mild overdrive and a sustainer
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Well that sucks for you, because I've used my big muff with a LOT of crappy little practice amps and it sure as heck sounds like a fuzz. Which muff are you using? If you have the double muff that may explain it, I've heard that one is really warm and overdrivey.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Used both the little big muff and the big muff. i actually own a sovtek green muff so get any fuzz i need from that.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020