I haven't been able to play my guitar for days now due to pain in the joints of my fingers. I've had loads of blood tests and it seems likely that I'm starting to suffer from Gout ( a form of arthritis rather than a result of my rich living). I'm concerned that I may have to stop playing altogether. Has anybody else had experience of something like this and is medication effective enough to keep me playing? I really don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a guitar to play.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I thought Gout was curable.
Loyal minds will not break.
Sorry about your medical problems, especially ones that could prevent you from playing.

My understanding is that a gout attack can be suppressed altogether with medication, in fact even ibuprofen can relieve gout pain, if my info is correct, so I believe you will still be able to play.
Just out of curiosity, do you crack your knuckles?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
Just out of curiosity, do you crack your knuckles?

Didn't they find that doing that actually reduced your chance of getting arthritis?
^ Not sure. I'm a chronic knuckle cracker myself, but if i ever find out it could limit my guitar playing ill make a concsience effort to quit.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
^ Not sure. I'm a chronic knuckle cracker myself, but if i ever find out it could limit my guitar playing ill make a concsience effort to quit.

so am i.
what causes artheritis is the wearing away of cartiledge between joints.
the cracking noise can be several things but the most common two are 1) the cartiledge breaking when the joint moves in the socket at a funny angle 2) a popping sound if the joint is temporarily removed from the socket all together neither of these cause artheritis as cartiledge heals quickly, which is why you can re-click your knuckles shortly after.

artheritis is caused by infections or old age.

to the thread starter, im sorry for your problem, have you consulted your doctor?
I've had blood taken for tests but the first time the test came back 'borderline' so I'm now waiting for a second set of tests to be done. I found that ibuprofen had very little effect but for now at least the pain has subsided and I am able to play again. I have been told that medication can control the problem so that is hopeful and apparently a change of diet so I eat less meat, especially red meat, will also help. Old age appears to be catching up on me!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
really it just depends on your lifestyle, like what you have done in your past if you were wild, and how you eat. Calcium and iron are necessary to avoid arthritis, because they help build up the cartilage/bone structures in joints. Also cracking does cause arthritis, it causes calcification making your joints swell up. I used to crack my knuckles before to look badass, but i stopped after learning this. Ibuprofen does help, also codeine also does help a lot as it reduces pain/swelling. But you would have to consult your doctor, for all of this because only he/she would know exactly what do prescribe becasue they know what is wrong. I broke my wrist, and a couple fingers over the years, and being only 20, after playing for a while i do get pain in my joints, from what i've heard is i might suffer from arthritis in the future, hopefully not, because i dont know what i would do without the guitar.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.