i was thinking about buying a cheap 100-120 dollar squire strat to customize and maybe try and make my own frankinstrat.

basically i just want it for its body and then i will replace all the electronics.

is this a good idea? or should i get a nicer guitar for the body?
Go for it! Get an Affinity, though, b/c they are the only Squiers that I know of that have bodies made of real wood. Mine's 2-piece alder/agathis (and also the best-sounding budget guitar I've ever played, and the song "After the Fact" on my profile is proof).
well if you just want a body you can try warmoth.com, but the squire would be fine, you can mess up on it and it wont really matter.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
people always diss on squires but i think they have great potential for customizing.
Just make sure you get a squire with a decent quality body, plywood won't do at all.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Is your heart set on a Squier? The strat copies on rondomusic.net get some pretty good reviews and they are even less expensive than most Squiers.
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
Quote by Dr. Guitar
Is your heart set on a Squier? The strat copies on rondomusic.net get some pretty good reviews and they are even less expensive than most Squiers.

Listen to this guy!
Also check out your pawn shops, I picked up a copy for $50.
any suggegstions on Pups?

I'm thinkin of going with a H/H/S layout. and putting a normal sized humbucker in the bridge, a Humbucker that is made to fit in a single coil slot in the middle(i.e. Seymour Duncan Hot rails, Cool Rails, Etc.), and then a vintige single coil in the neck.

Does anyone suggest a different layout? or choice of Pups?