I've often wondered what the best ways were to build quality, affordable guitars for the average person, without using overseas labor and poor materials. The single biggest price saver would be to sell the guitars factory direct. Also, very little could be put into cosmetics. Just enough coats of paint to seal up the guitars...maybe even using a coat of two less than Gibson and Fender use on their "faded" instruments. Solid colors could be used to cover up wood that has cosmetic flaws, like discoloration from fungus, which do not affect tone. An option for just one pickup would also cut the prices. Bolt-on necks would clearly help. Some models could use thin bodies, like Gibson SGs.

Do you fellows have any additional ideas for cheap, but good sounding and playing guitars?
Washburn Hb-32dm

I've only heard positive remarks about the washburn hb-32dm, some guy claims its up there with all the top of the range guitars

Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
Quote by Doooooooooom
I've often wondered what the best ways were to build quality, affordable guitars for the average person, without using overseas labor and poor materials. The single biggest price saver would be to sell the guitars factory direct. Also, very little could be put into cosmetics. Just enough coats of paint to seal up the guitars...maybe even using a coat of two less than Gibson and Fender use on their "faded" instruments. Solid colors could be used to cover up wood that has cosmetic flaws, like discoloration from fungus, which do not affect tone. An option for just one pickup would also cut the prices. Bolt-on necks would clearly help. Some models could use thin bodies, like Gibson SGs.

Do you fellows have any additional ideas for cheap, but good sounding and playing guitars?

You can't...if you want things to be cheap then something has to give, you either cheap out on the workmanship or cheap out on the materials.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^Wrong. Carvin guitars are a fraction of the price other custom shops would charge. They don't cut corners on materials or workmanship.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by sk8boardbob2
^Wrong. Carvin guitars are a fraction of the price other custom shops would charge. They don't cut corners on materials or workmanship.

They're not exactly what I'd call "affordable"...the TS never mentioned anything about custom guitars, just cheap ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sk8boardbob2

Carvin is more ala carte than custom shop, and they're not that much cheaper than the guitars they compete against anymore.
first of all, you need to slap a name no-one has ever heard of before, because like it or not, the name costs. Gibson make the BFG which is along the right lines. Strip a guitar down to just the basics needed. Finishes cost a lot so the solid paint could be a good idea, but some solid paints look very cheap. You could probably save a lot on pickups too, because AFAIK, a lot of you are quite into the whole switch the pickups as soon as you've played the guitar thing. Or you could offer a choice of pickups instead, which'd save money in the long run. Even better, for the industrious guitarist, offer a kit which has all hardware assembled, comes with all electronics. but isn't wired, and get them to do it, because honestly, it isn't hard to do it right, and can make a huge tonal difference to the guitar. You could even do the fender pickguard thing, just bolting on the pots and jack, leaving the rest up to the customer.

rant over. But I'd like to see it happen.