Hey guys, firstly, I was wondering, how high gain can the GH50L get? I'm in a toss up really between that and a 2x12, or an ENGL Screamer, although without trying the GH out first, I don't really know, can anyone give me a rough estimate of the highest level of gain it can do? And which one I'd be better off with for sort of Satriani-esque leads and Dream Theater sort of stuff.

(Obviously, I'll endeavour to try before I buy, but Laney's are hard to come by round here to say the least)

EDIT: Also, what would be the best (and cheapest) 2x12 for the Laney, bearing in mind that it'd probably be a new one, based on the fact that I can get a good deal from my local shop if they order one in, and if it could all fall under or around £600, that'd be brilliant.

I have posted this in the Laney thread, but this may get a wider perspective view.
Funny words.
You can get a Harley Benton 2x12 on Thomann with Celestion Vintage 30's for £150. Terrible construction of the cab itself, but good speakers.
As said I was in the same position and I'm going the Laney way, as for cabs look at Matamp (custom 2x12s for under £400), ENGL, Orange, Framus etc.
framus do a 2x12 for just over £200 on thomann. i haven't tried it, though, and i haven't tried that laney either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's a good deal for the Framus. If you have the money, then go with that, otherwise, the Harlow Benton I suggested is a bargain, if you're willing to treat it gently. I wouldn't trust its construction.
Quote by Dave_Mc
framus do a 2x12 for just over £200 on thomann. i haven't tried it, though, and i haven't tried that laney either.

Oh snap

I've heard that the GH's are quite brightly voiced? Is there anything I can do to give it a bit of a darker, bassier response?
Funny words.
Quote by 666_Pounder
6L6s, look up some sound clips, it sounds great.

That actually could be the perfect answer, props!
Funny words.
Quote by 666_Pounder
It the first thing I'm planning to do

Niiice...Also, something that I noticed with the ENGL, it is literally the quietest amp I've ever played, not unwanted feedback or anything, what's the Laney like in this respect?
Funny words.
Last edited by I_Am_Iron_Man at Aug 29, 2008,
Its been a fair while since I played one but this Sunday I'm going to try one out again and probably come home with it so I can let you know if you want.

From what I've heard in reviews etc they can be pretty noisy when you're not playing.
Ahh ok, cheers.

I mean, I can easily buy a noise supressor, but then I'm just at risk of going, oh, I'll get this pedal as well, can't hurt, then another, and another, and soon my pedalboard will be more of a switchboard....
Funny words.
Got that framus cab, got the ENGL head.

Uber good, versatile crisp sound. Not tried the laney but on paper the ENGL is a much better amplifier.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
i use a decimator with my engl... also, the screamer is pretty bright too. not buying the laney because it's bright (i haven't tried the laney, just going by what you've said) and then buying the engl would see kinda illogical.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
UPDATE:

Someone has recommended me a TT50H with 2x12, would this be a better choice than the GH50L?
Funny words.
it'll have a bunch more channels, that's for sure. i really liked the tt100 when i tried it, but that was ages ago. very versatile.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not sure, i haven't tried the gh...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahhh, alright, better question, barring the extreme extreme uses of like, black metal-esque gain, would the TT, with an Ibanez TS9, be a good metal/shred/rock amp?
Funny words.
yeah, i'd say it'd cover most (if not all) of that, bar the extreme extreme metal you're mentioning, even without a tubescreamer. assuming the 50 is the same as the 100, of course, apart from the extra power.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i'd say it'd cover most (if not all) of that, bar the extreme extreme metal you're mentioning, even without a tubescreamer. assuming the 50 is the same as the 100, of course, apart from the extra power.

Sweeeet.

Now the impossible task of finding one to try in West Yorkshire, the anti-Laney capital of England
Funny words.
indeed. guitar guitar are laney dealers, they're in newcastle (possibly a bit far away), but i have no idea if they have TTs. TTs seem to be the laneys that least shops have, for some reason. i tried one in the wembley guitar centre, that's the only place i've ever seen them, and i've been in several laney dealers. obviously that's no help since you're in yorkshire though
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I read somewhere that the wiring for the gain is very similar between the TT's and the GH's, if so, would it be worth falling in love with a GH and buying a TT?
Funny words.
i have no idea... EDIT: i just spotted on another thread- guitarguitar is selling a laney tt50 combo for £479, and the tt50 head for £429. Would be seriously worth considering. http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/amplification.asp?BrandName=Laney&guitars=21

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 2, 2008,