Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here, I've also just started teaching myself how to play the guitar.

I'm currently having a problem switching between the G and C chords. Could anyone give me some hints as how to make this easier? Thanks!
go slow, you'll get it eventually just strum your g, then go to your c slowly and just keep doing it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

The more you play the quicker your fingers will be. Keep on playing! ^^
Try to use your pinky for the low note, it will help train you to use it later on. Trust me, it's much easier once you get it with the pinky, its hard to learn pinky use after you've already started learning guitar.
just practice cause you'll look back in a week or so and think "god i couldnt even do this a week ago" but you'll have something else you wont be able to do. if you get me
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
the thing is there is no shortcut to learning these things and we all get that feeling that you just cant do it but if you leave it and watch tv or something and get relaxed (easiest state to learn in) and come back to it with a relaxed mind then you will have a better chance at getting it

remember that a relaxed mind is always better for learning.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by GeneD
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here, I've also just started teaching myself how to play the guitar.

I'm currently having a problem switching between the G and C chords. Could anyone give me some hints as how to make this easier? Thanks!

I recently tried to "relearn" a new chord in an alternate tuning, and I found it quite challenging, but entertaining because I remembered having the same trouble you have now.

Just keep practicing the switch, G to C, and as you continue to do this, look at where your fingers go, and where the need to go and how they get there. Just remember where the fingers need to go, and even practice just keeping them there for a while on both chords, do like G for a minute, then C for a minute.

Also, taking breaks helps the muscle memory set in, I believe. I hope someone can verify this.
and once you're starting to get it try to make your fingers in the shape while in the air and just drop them down on the strings all at once instead of putting them down one at a time.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
and once you're starting to get it try to make your fingers in the shape while in the air and just drop them down on the strings all at once instead of putting them down one at a time.

+1.

Start off slow and keep it accurate then get faster.

It'll come, trust me, I remember facing that same exact problem myself.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
thats a big stretch for a beginner... besides, it sounds much nicer with the two notes at the bottom and its difficult to barre with you pinky so the normal way with all four fingers sounds better to me. But whatever people find easiest is the best.
If you dont already have a metronome or guitar pro get yourself either or both asap. Use the metronome (theres a free internet one if you dont have one yet) . Put it on the slowest speed that you can actually make the change in time. Then play keeping time while changing even if its super rediculously slow.

Keeping time while practicing is very important. You dont want to play songs and slow down to change chords and then play the next measure right? Once you can change evenly timed however slow it may be it will just take repitition to have your fingers "memorise" the motion.

Theres a really good article by freepower just use the search bar and click on thread by him and its the first lesson in his signature. If your just beginning reading this will give you a really good idea of how to practice and also probably give yourself some confidence.

Good luck. Dont give up the first few months are the hardest then it gets way more fun.