Say if i want to change the key sig. from C to G how do i make the transition (as in do i just change the chords to say G, C and D and play g major scale over it?)
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
say for instance c major to f# major then?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
well lets say your using the I-IV-V progression in C. that would be the first forth and fifth chords off the mojor scale of C which is C D E F G A B C so your progression would be C F G. and to put it in to the key of G you keep the same progression I-IV-V of the G major scale G A B C D E F# G. so your progression would be G C D. so you just take your progression that your using in the orginial key and put it in the key you want and find your chords based off the scale of the new key.

well i hope my poopy theory helped you out. thats how ive always done it.
but isnt there something special you have to do? (dont ask what cuz i dont know)

so basically i just change the chord progression?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
you can jump from the relative to minor to the major relatively easily, see pink floyd's comfortably numb, they jump back and forth between the chorus and the verse.
secondary dominants, using a V(I)-i or a i think a regular V(7)-I cadence where the V chord is not a chord in the progression but added before the chord you want to change keys to.
song stuck in my head today

Quote by Conca
but isnt there something special you have to do? (dont ask what cuz i dont know)

so basically i just change the chord progression?

There are plenty of ways to do it, you could chromatically change it, so going from C to F# you could play C C# D D# E F F# and keep going from there.

Then you can also modulate, if you're playing in a key close to the original key, such as G. It would be harder to do with F# because F# isn't exactly in key with C, you'd have to modulate twice I believe.

You can also just change the key abruptly. If you're playing C G F and want to go to F#, you could go C G F F# C# B, just like that.

Of course you're not limited to these possibilities, whatever way you think of you can do it really. There are no rules to changing key.