so ive been playing for around 3 years. i have a squier p bass that i got in that starter pack. i put new pickups on it though, SD quarter pounders. they made it sound a lot better but its just time to move on and get a new bass. i play all kinds of styles, classic rock, funk, rock, metal, and i like to slap and all that jazz.

i was looking at musicman stingrays, fender highway one basses, and just was looking at warwick basses today.

what do you think?

i have a behringer amp and it doesn't sound very good so something that would sound good with the behringer would be even better.

im looking in the $500 - $1,300 range. i kinda want to stay under $1000 though.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Last edited by fenderbassist12 at Aug 28, 2008,
i would get a stingray, or a warwick corvette. 2 great choices, or for 800 u could get a schecter, great sound great feel and great price.
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
or you could buy a new amp for that money and have an awesome sound, i would go with a Gallien Kruger im buying one this weekend =]

edit: if you dont want a new amp i would go with a stingray definatly
buy a new amp. so you want to stay under 1000? I'd say get a 500-600 amp and a 400-500 bass.

that gives Ibanez, MIM Fenders, Acoustic and Ashdown all good shots.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Take a look at Peavey. They're not too expensive, but they're wonderful instruments and you can find just about anything you want in a bass in Peavey's catalog.

Quote by tictaknicnak
Epiphone Thunderbird IV, its a beast of a guitar!

Haha, this will go over well.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
If you think it's "time for a new bass," you should look for something other than a Fender. The Squire already pretty good, about as good as an MIM (though worse than a highway one). Unless you really like your P. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a Fender, just that it depends on how different you want your new bass to be. I personally don't like Stingrays. It's not the sound or playability or anything (I think they sound good and I've never used one, so I can't comment on the playability. I just think their ugly). As for Warwicks, their great but expensive. I agree with the people who said you should get a new amp. A great bass on a crap amp will sound so much worse than a crap bass and a great amp. As for the bass, I'd recommend an Ibanez, Schecter or maybe a Spector.

Edit: +1 on the Peavey, in addition to my other recommendations
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
well if i was ever playing a show i would not use my amp, id use a friends or someone else's. and the amp works for just jamming with my drummer which is what i do mostly (we can't find a good guitarist sadly), im thinking the warwick corvette standard.

this would be a bass i would have for a while, i wouldnt get a new one for 7+ years
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
I guess. but that Behringer will blow out really soon. they are terrible amps.

save a little for the practice amp. maybe used Warwick and an Acoustic AB50? that would be amazing punchy. <333
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by scootlaundry
i would get a stingray, or a warwick corvette. 2 great choices, or for 800 u could get a schecter, great sound great feel and great price.

Good Schecter only $550

to TS: New amp first>
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Good Schecter only $550

to TS: New amp first>

yea u could get my bass in 4, 5 or 6 string ver for like 500-700 i dont feel like looking it up, but its in there, and its some of the best sound ive had through a bass, i trust schecter with my life! they got some of the best guitars and basses in my opinion.
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
G&L Tribute L2500 (or L2000 if u like 4 strings) and a fender bassman 250/210 amp
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
the warwick might be a little more flexible than the stingray, unless the ray has a jazz or a humbucker in the neck as well. the second humbucker will get away of slapping at first though.
i'm personally a huge fan of musicman (one day, i'll have a bongo with a jazz in the neck), but the warwick corvette would be in your price range. i do love the double buck.
definitely check out a peavey cirrus if you're willing to spend above a grand. the import ones are great for the money, but the american ones are some of my favorite basses, and the necks are super comfortable (but i like fat necks).
g&l make a decent bass. not my favorites, but i prefer them to fenders.
they might be right about getting the new amp first though. the fender bassman series are nice, and i'd also reccomend trace elliot. and while they're not for me, ampeg makes some quality stuff for the money.
schecters warwicks and ibanez would all be good choices for the bass and Gallien-krueger for the amp
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Well, if you want to get an amp+bass for 1300, then you may have to go used. Some will tell you to get a $1000 amp and $300 bass, but thats only in a perfect world. It feels nice to have a nice bass. So if you want a full range bass (24 frets), look at a Schecter, Ibanez, or Rockbass by Warwick (really nothing like a 'Wick, but still nice). Then look for a nice amp like a GK, Carvin, Ashdown, Markbass, etc.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Well, if you want to get an amp+bass for 1300, then you may have to go used. Some will tell you to get a $1000 amp and $300 bass, but thats only in a perfect world. It feels nice to have a nice bass. So if you want a full range bass (24 frets), look at a Schecter, Ibanez, or Rockbass by Warwick (really nothing like a 'Wick, but still nice). Then look for a nice amp like a GK, Carvin, Ashdown, Markbass, etc.

i have to agree with him, schecter are great affordable basses, as with ibanez and rockbass, i havnt used rockbass but ive heard good thing bout them. i would goto a shop and try some of these brands out, as for amp... i dont know much bout amps so i couldnt suggest anything. lol
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
Quote by tbirds1013
schecters warwicks and ibanez would all be good choices for the bass and Gallien-krueger for the amp

from what i've seen, gk have a nasty tendency to get the gain channel stuck on. the little button they use seems to break a lot. some guitarists wouldn't mind, but that's not such great news for a bass player.
idk i really want a new bass. i'll be getting a job spring of '09 and i will be able to make money to buy an amp. is the warwick corvette standard ash as good as the warwick corvette standard?
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by fenderbassist12
idk i really want a new bass. i'll be getting a job spring of '09 and i will be able to make money to buy an amp. is the warwick corvette standard ash as good as the warwick corvette standard?

yes, but you really need a new amp first.

we aren't just blowing out our bums.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ha well my parents got me that behringer for christmas prbably 2 years ago. if i tell them i want a new one, there gonna pull the whole "whats wrong with the one we bought you?" i have access to other amps, my friend has an ampeg i can use while jamming and i have a fender 15w rumble.
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
If you don't get a new amp, & do get a an amp. It'll will have very little effect on your sound at all, whereas a good amp can make a squier, especially with SD's, sound great.

although if you REALLY dislike the feel of the squier, there are plenty of cheaper basses that have been mentioned all with different feels, try some out.

Also, try to buy second hand.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Man i know you want a new bass, but seriously, a new amp is your best best for an overall good sound. An amazing bass will still sound **** through a bad amp, but a crappy bass will sound alright through a good amp. Although it is your choice, and as for basses I would recommend a MIA Fender Jazz or if you can afford it, a musicman sterling or stingray.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .