I'm looking into buying a peavey 6505+ head that I'll run with a marshall 1960A cabinet. I was wondering, with tube amps how loud would I need to turn on the volume to get a pretty good sound.

I've heard that you need to crank it pretty loud to get a good sound with a tub amp.

Thanks for your answers even as stupid as this question might be.
ur not going to want to crank loud i can tell u that now but wether its cranked or not u should be able to prduce a very nice sound. its all prefrence
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I'm living in an apartment so would my neightbours freak out if my volume's up to 4 ?
yea but you could always sound proof the room.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Dont go with the 1960A Cab, just a heads up G12t-75's are not a good match for that amp.

And a 6505 will sound fine at low volumes for most people... Usually it shines at about 3-4 but sounds decent even as low as .75-1.... Now thats if your playing metal. If your playing classic rock or hard rock your out of luck in an apartment without an attuenator.
look into avatar cabs

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dont go with the 1960A Cab, just a heads up G12t-75's are not a good match for that amp.

And a 6505 will sound fine at low volumes for most people... Usually it shines at about 3-4 but sounds decent even as low as .75-1.... Now thats if your playing metal. If your playing classic rock or hard rock your out of luck in an apartment without an attuenator.

+1 to everything.

The 5150 does NOT need to be turned up loud to get a suitable sound out of it. Sure, it might sound better louder, but that doesn't mean it's going to sound horrible at low volumes, not even close.

And yes, G12T-75s + 5150/6505 = Ew. I didn't like my 1960 with my 5150 at all. You want Vintage 30s, maybe V12 Legends.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com