So I am in the market for a new guitar. I have been playing for about 6 months. And consider myself an intermediate player. My current guitars are:

Gibson Melody Maker - Vintage Sunburst
Epiphone SG - Heritage Cherry
Squeir strat

I have been reading all the reviews on musiciansfriend.com and was still looking for some more input. So I was wondering if some people could give me their opinions on The Epiphone les paul. I know that epiphones dont really compare to gibsons in any way but Its hard to justify 1000 dollars if you can get a comparable version for 500. This is the model in particular that I am looking into:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-104065958-i1168180.gc?mode=1&sort=2

I have heard some people say Epiphones are much better in quality then they used to be, and I have also heard some horror stories. Personally I am really please with the build quality and playability of my Epiphone SG. So i guess the main question is, Do you think it is worth 500 dollars. Or would it be smarter to just save for alittle longer and get this (a low end gibson les paul):

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar-103371357-i1149476.gc

On a side note i was also consider buying a solid body acoustic electric guitar. I am looking to only purchase one that has a solid top back and sides, and in the 300-500 dollar range that is pretty rare. But i did manage to find a Laguna Guitar that had those two requirements:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-LG-Series-LG4CEBUB-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104501341-i1391539.gc

does anyone know anything about laguna and if their really worth 500 dollars. Any input anyone has would be a real help here seeing as how there is a real shortage of reviews on this particular model. Is laguna a quality instrument?

THANKS TO ALL
Well... I'd personally go with a high-end Epiphone than a low-end Gibson. If you're still worried about the quality of the guitar due to the huge difference in price then go for an Epiphone Elitist.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
personally, id rather have the epiphone. that gibson lp studio, is like driving a stripped not equipped vehicle. no ac, no power steering, etc. the epiphone is a win for me.

i am a proud owner of an epiphone les paul!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by chagmaier
personally, id rather have the epiphone. that gibson lp studio, is like driving a stripped not equipped vehicle. no ac, no power steering, etc. the epiphone is a win for me.

*high five*

Custom Silverburst here...

+1 to the Epiphone. With Gibson keep in mind you're also paying for the brand name, so the price is inflated a bit.
Where does it say the Laguna is solid woods? If it doesn't say solid in the description it almost certainly isn't.
the setup was right on out of the box, action was nice and low, and the intonation was almost perfect. i just tuned it up and plugged it in!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
I wondered the same thing as well, so i got a quote from guitar center and they assured me the following:

Message from Kellen Slight:
Thank you for your recent inquiry. The top, back, and sides of the Laguna LG Series LG4CEBUB are made of solid african bubinga wood. It is a great quality wood that produces deep lows and compressed high tones. There are several customers that recommend this guitar. We appreciate you choosing GuitarCenter.com
Last edited by Jayson420 at Aug 28, 2008,
I'd slow down on the guitar buying and concentrate on learning to play for a while - I certainly wouldn't recommend shelling out silly money for a Gibson after just 6 months. You may consider yourself an "internediate" player but you're not, 6 months is stone cold beginner territory.

Also, what amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Jayson420
You own one? How was the setup out of the box? Did you have to adjust anything?

I had to adjust the intonation and action a little because i set it up for Drop Db tunning.

Epiphone Les Paul Customs are really good guitars, once you chuck some better pickups in them.
Put like, a Duncan JB and Jazz pair in them, and they're close, if no comparible to a decent Gibson.
The Standard Epi LP's are good too, in the same way the customs are.
LP100s are just rubbish though.
If you get the choice between a low-end/middle Gibson, or a high end Epiphone, go the Epiphone and just change out the p/ups and the tuners.
But if you can get a a good Gibson Les Paul, get it, definitely.

In conclusion, Epiphones are really good guitars, one you make a few customisations.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by chagmaier

Well put Remember, only because its more expensive, dosent make it any better :P I know i'm gonna get majorly flamed for this but to be honest i prefer the Epiphone SG-400 to the Gibson... Thats just me though.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
If you've got 3 guitars at 6 months, I'd be satisfied with that and work on making myself worthy of said instruments. But if you really have to buy something, I'd get an amp... Makes a lot more difference to your sound than the guitar in most cases.
Basically, an epiphone has the same body as a gibson, but different electronics. I bought an epiphone les paul and the electronics were very basic and not comparable to the gibson ones. Once I put new pickups in, it was gibson quality for half the price.
"Be yourself, it's all that you can do"
If only Chris would take his own advice...
Quote by Coolguyjones
Basically, an epiphone has the same body as a gibson, but different electronics. I bought an epiphone les paul and the electronics were very basic and not comparable to the gibson ones. Once I put new pickups in, it was gibson quality for half the price.

Yep... but what most ppl don't know is that they still sound different. Epiphones tend to have a more darker sound while Gibsons are a bit grittier.

Quote by steven seagull
I'd slow down on the guitar buying and concentrate on learning to play for a while - I certainly wouldn't recommend shelling out silly money for a Gibson after just 6 months. You may consider yourself an "internediate" player but you're not, 6 months is stone cold beginner territory.

+1, maybe wait another 6months save some cash and then get a Gibson lp std lol? Seriously wait a little longer, so you can really develop your ear for tone and then still make sure you want a les paul and then go for it. Whats wrong with your melody maker btw, those are supposed to be pretty nice?
Quote by steven seagull

Mr Seagull always coming in and saying what I'm thinking but don't have the balls to mention. Very nice.

If you can afford it and it makes you happy then go for it, I just don't see the point in having all these mediocre guitars at only 6 months in(or at any point really). My advice would be to learn as much about music as possible if your content with your technical skills then you can really apply yourself. Then get a really amazing instrument. Your gonna love it so much more than any mid range thing you get now.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
I was in the same position as you about a month ago and decided to get an epiphone les paul custom , i then put alnico pro 2 pups in it and am happy with it, i`ve no doubt the quality of a gibson is better but my budget wasn`t up to it yet
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Quote by Shawnypuff167
thats a really bad lie..unless ur rich

not lying or rich
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
laguna is a great company
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!