So I am in the market for a new guitar. I have been playing for about 6 months. And consider myself an intermediate player. My current guitars are:

Gibson Melody Maker - Vintage Sunburst

Epiphone SG - Heritage Cherry

Squier Strat

I have been reading all the reviews on musiciansfriend.com and was still looking for some more input. So I was wondering if some people could give me their opinions on The Epiphone les paul. I know that epiphones dont really compare to gibsons in any way but Its hard to justify 1000 dollars if you can get a comparable version for 500. This is the model in particular that I am looking into:

Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom-104065958-i1168180.gc?mode=1&sort=2

I have heard some people say Epiphones are much better in quality then they used to be, and I have also heard some horror stories. Personally I am really please with the build quality and playability of my Epiphone SG. So i guess the main question is, Do you think it is worth 500 dollars. Or would it be smarter to just save for alittle longer and get this (a low end gibson les paul):

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar-103371357-i1149476.gc

On a side note i was also consider buying a solid body acoustic electric guitar. I am looking to only purchase one that has a solid top back and sides, and in the 500 dollar range that is pretty rare. I even made sure and got a quote from guitar center and they assured me that it was completely solid and not laminate. But i did manage to find a Laguna Guitar that had those two requirements:

Laguna LG Series LG4CEBUB Cutaway Acoustic Electric Guitar

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-LG-Series-LG4CEBUB-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104501341-i1391539.gc

does anyone know anything about laguna and if their really worth 500 dollars. Any input anyone has would be a real help here seeing as how there is a real shortage of reviews on this particular model. Is laguna a quality instrument? Id love to hear from a few owners Lagunas or possibly someone who sells guitars.

THANKS TO ALL
Last edited by Jayson420 at Aug 28, 2008,
the lowest end gibson lp would probably be the studio which is still probably way out of your price range and would take time to get the money for...plenty of people have epiphone les pauls and i doubt yours will be horrible as long as you don't abuse it or anyhting. gibsons are great but they're alot of money...
If you don't mind having a different look on your guitar you should consider saving some bucks and buy a epi standard AND a set of pro-grade pickups, you'd be closer to the les paul sound with this than with the studio special, they're chambered out like dog **** (google image, les paul chambering, the worst one, not the swiss cheese chambering) BUT they have a satin finish, which is beter than the standards now being lacquered. With the epi you'd even stay in your price range (or a little upper, but not as dramattically as doubling the max of your range).
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Check out some Schecters. I have played a lot of them at Guitar Center and have never been dissapointed.
Quote by Gäbe
If you don't mind having a different look on your guitar you should consider saving some bucks and buy a epi standard AND a set of pro-grade pickups, you'd be closer to the les paul sound with this than with the studio special, they're chambered out like dog **** (google image, les paul chambering, the worst one, not the swiss cheese chambering) BUT they have a satin finish, which is beter than the standards now being lacquered. With the epi you'd even stay in your price range (or a little upper, but not as dramattically as doubling the max of your range).

yeah, it's nearly a hollow body without any F-holes. It's really kind of sad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have never put a guitar back on its stand quicker than after the first time I played a Laguna. If you're looking for a good distorted sound, I'd try Jackson. For a good clean sound, Schecter would be the way to go. Of course, there's a bunch of not so common brand names that are good, but it's just whatever you find. However, you should definitely buy used.