Hey guys I have three questions so here we go:

I really wanted to start learning Master of Puppets, but I'm not sure how much of it I will be able to play yet. I have played for about 7 months but I know that doesn't help much as all people don't progress at the same speed. Do you think the average player could do it at 7 months?

But anyways, another question, which is easier-Master of Puppets or One?

And finally, if I wasn't able to play either of those, how hard is Enter Sandman?

There...
Thanks
One is easier than MoP in my opinion. well the rythmn parts are. Cause in master of puppets its a lot of fast down picking so you might not be able to downpick that fast yet.

And Enter sandman is extremely easy.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
enter sandman is the easiest of the three. master of puppets is easy but playing at speed is insane if youve been playing for 7 months. it's all downpicking. ALL OF IT!!! i can do it for like 7 seconds and then i get tired as hell. enter sandman was the first metallica song i learned
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I have played six months and i know play the two songs

the one intro is more easy
but master of puppets needs more skill
1st metallica song i learned was mop the fast solo was hard but i eventually got it i still play it and one and enter the sandman and others.if you plan on downpicking on mop u will need to practic alotttt it gets really tiring
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
i could play all three of those by 7 months, but then again ive played another stringed instrument before guitar so i guess i caught on a lot quicker....

enter sandman is definitely a lot easier than the other 2.
then one
then master of puppets
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
I have been playing for about a year and I have looked at and tryed to play both of them.
I can tell you now that it will take a couple months just to get one of those solos.

Master of Puppets uses simple chords and simple rythym although it is faster. One uses complex rythym and simple chords although slower and more repetitive. I can tell you now that the solos are out of your league as of yet.
If you prove me wrong on that, I will literally post a pic of me bowing to you. Metallica is not just the Master of Puppets, They are the Master of Bends . Kirk bends the strings during both of those solos. Believe me, I have tryed.

Enter Sandman would be one to learn either way.
I would choose the song of choice based on your desired direction.
can't play guitar
Yeah, I figured Enter Sandman was the easiest. I really like it, so I will probably learn it first. But maybe I could try parts of both of the harder ones(like that fast riff before the solo on One and stuff) thanks for all the help guys
Quote by apak
enter sandman is the easiest of the three. master of puppets is easy but playing at speed is insane if youve been playing for 7 months. it's all downpicking. ALL OF IT!!! i can do it for like 7 seconds and then i get tired as hell. enter sandman was the first metallica song i learned

all except the clean section and solo. but hell, the spider riff I just can not do cleanly. I say learn Fade To Black. You'll get more out of it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Enter Sandman - I only know 3 or 4 riffs from it. They're pretty easy.

Master of Puppets - if you ignore the any requirement for down picking, you might be able to pull most of it off. It will also be a good thing to practice if you can almost do it. Kirk's guitar solo is too much, but James does the first one. You could probably manage that one cause it's pretty easy. My brother told me it's only the riff before the VERSE (not chorus) that's all down picking.

One - it's not too much trouble until you get to the final section where he sings, "Darkness! imprisoning me" etc. That part is quite a work out for your picking hand. It's actually my shoulder/deltoid that gets tired from being locked in place.
Last edited by Adrian Smith at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by Adrian Smith
Enter Sandman - I only know 3 or 4 riffs from it. They're pretty easy.

Master of Puppets - if you ignore the any requirement for down picking, you might be able to pull most of it off. It will also be a good thing to practice if you can almost do it. Kirk's guitar solo is too much, but James does the first one. You could probably manage that one cause it's pretty easy. My brother told me it's only the riff before the chorus that's all down picking.

One - it's not too much trouble until you get to the final section where he sings, "Darkness! imprisoning me" etc. That part is quite a work out for your picking hand. It's actually my shoulder/deltoid that gets tired from being locked in place.

Maybe for Kirk but Hetfield downpicks everything just about.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Enter Sandman -> One -> Master of Puppets

From easiest to hardest.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You don't know if you'll be able to play it or not? Well start playing it and find out!
I've been playing for roughly the same period of time, and I'm just starting to learn Sandman. It might be an "easy" song for people who have a few songs under their belts, but I'm finding it to be a bit of a challenge at my early stages. Having the coordination to strum in proper time, palm mute accurately, and perform the slides accurately, all at once for just about every bar puts it beyond some of the far simpler stuff that I've tackled up to this point. I certainly don't think this is an impossible song to learn, and it's no doubt easier than the majority of similar songs out there, but I certainly do think that to play it well (as opposed to just pounding it out in a sloppy amature way) certainly will require a lot of practice from most beginners.
Fast down picking is hard if you have been playing for only 7 months. I remember I tried learning Master of Puppets after playing for 4 months. It sounded....terrible lol. I would say try Enter Sandman first. Pretty easy, basic pentatonic song. But all the clean parts in One are fairly simple, same with the clean solos. Not very fast. But I would stay away from MoP until you are more proficient at fast down picking and being accurate at the same time.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
sorry to invade the thread, but is the "darkness imprisoning me" bit in One all downpicked? coz if it is, then bloody hell...
Quote by anerasedcitizen
sorry to invade the thread, but is the "darkness imprisoning me" bit in One all downpicked? coz if it is, then bloody hell...

No, in terms of downpicking speed songs like "Blackened", "Disposable Heroes" and "Master of Puppets" are on the edge of Hetfields quite substrantial powers, anything faster than those and chances are it's alternate picked.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by anerasedcitizen

I seriously doubt it. I saw a vid of One on Youtube and they alternate picked.
can't play guitar
Quote by anerasedcitizen

wouldn't his wrist like.... explode?
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
You should probably learn MoP later, since it's hard and you'll have to practice the downpicking a lot. I've been play for about the same amount of time as you and what I do to practice my downpicking for MoP is everytime I pick up my guitar, after I've warmed up I try to play MoP all downpicked for like 2 minutes then move on to another song. It started by sounding like crap but I've gotten a lot faster at it and can almost play it fluently
I absolutely refuse to believe that Hetfield downpicks the riff after the solo (not the power chord part, but right after before it repeats the main riff of the song). I don't doubt that he downpicks the rest of the song, everything I can downpick besides that triplet in the riff I'm mentioning.
Enter Sandman, but is still very hard for just 7 months, although is not impossible. I remember someone posted a cover of Creeping Death, which he nailed it and claimed he have been playing for only 9 months.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
If you want to learn Master of Puppets, go for it. My teacher got me onto learning MoP right from the start to improve my speed and fretting accuracy and I can say it has worked well. It is difficult to learn early but after 3 months I can play almost all of it except the 2nd solo which is insane.
A good tip for you is to get a program like PowerTab or Guitar Pro, get a file for a song like ES, One, or MoP, slow it down, and play along. Make sure you get your movements and your timing as perfect as possible before speeding up. It'll help, and it'll make you a good guitarist, I promise. Don't be afraid to be critical of your playing, but don't get down on yourself. Starting out is the hardest part of playing guitar. Soon songs by Metallica will be pieces of cake for you.

Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
IMO:
Easiest : Enter Sandman
Second Easiest : MoP
Hardest : One

While One may have easier clean parts and requires less stamina overall, I think it's segmented structure makes it harder to master (heh :P) overall. I also find the fast solo to One infinitely times harder than the fast solo to MoP.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
You can't compare Enter Sandman to MoP or One, they're both harder the ES.
MoP is hard, not too hard, it's just very fast and you need to practice a lot, really really a lot.
One is not very hard, except for the solo which has that extra fast tapping, also, you should work on it a lot, too.

Order: [Easy-Hard]
ES, One, MoP

Imo of course.
Quote by kimthekiller07
I Want To Ask The Tech To Replace It But He Looks Very Angry And Grumpy.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
A good tip for you is to get a program like PowerTab or Guitar Pro, get a file for a song like ES, One, or MoP, slow it down, and play along. Make sure you get your movements and your timing as perfect as possible before speeding up. It'll help, and it'll make you a good guitarist, I promise. Don't be afraid to be critical of your playing, but don't get down on yourself. Starting out is the hardest part of playing guitar. Soon songs by Metallica will be pieces of cake for you.

Yeah i have Powertab. How do you slow it down?
Quote by zcleghern
Yeah i have Powertab. How do you slow it down?

Change the tempo. Click on the tab at the start, below the tempo symbol. ie a quaver = 120 bpm. Then cnage it by clicking the icon at the top with the same symbol.
Shine on you Crazy Diamond

The police walked in for Jimmy Jazz
I said, he ain't here, but he sure went past
Oh, you're looking for Jimmy Jazz
Quote by jakecko17
Change the tempo. Click on the tab at the start, below the tempo symbol. ie a quaver = 120 bpm. Then cnage it by clicking the icon at the top with the same symbol.

Pressing F9 is a better way of doing it. This way you can select a certain part of a song so that it repeats, and choose a percentage to slow it down to, i.e. 50 %. You can also set it so that on every repeat it gets a variable % faster (set it to zero if you dont want it to get faster).
Quote by anerasedcitizen
Pressing F9 is a better way of doing it. This way you can select a certain part of a song so that it repeats, and choose a percentage to slow it down to, i.e. 50 %. You can also set it so that on every repeat it gets a variable % faster (set it to zero if you dont want it to get faster).

Powertab can't do that can it? You're thinking of guitar pro.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Oops? lol sorry bout that. Maybe get guitar pro instead though? i wouldnt say to do it from a torrent though. *cough*