Poll Options
View poll results: Buy Guitars Based On
Looks
30 17%
Sound
149 83%
Voters: 179.
Page 1 of 2
So when i a kid at school i would buy guitars/basses etc based on looks rather than sound (however the jackson kelly i got was sechs). Now i would happily play an ugly guitar that sounded great.

What about you guys?!?
I actually think about what I want out the guitar instead of making a rushed decision...

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Zan3
So when i a kid at school i would buy guitars based on looks rather than sound (however the jackson kelly i got was sechs). Now i would happily play an ugly guitar that sounded great.

What about you guys?!?

Just gotta point this out:

What about you guys?!?

What's with the ?!? at the end? It's a question, not an interrogation.

Also, definitely both.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
The looks draw me to one, but if the tone sucks, theres not point in wasting money. So in all reality, it's a combination of the two.
Quote by Amalgam
Just gotta point this out:

What about you guys?!?

What's with the ?!? at the end? It's a question, not an interrogation.

Also, definitely both.

what!?!
well, sound kind of only makes sense. i don't ****ing play guitar to look at myself play. (i still look pretty awesome, though.)
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by americnidiot
The looks draw me to one, but if the tone sucks, theres not point in wasting money. So in all reality, it's a combination of the two.

+1

Though I care more about sound than looks.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Zan3
what!?!

Listen to my words!?!??!
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by thomaserak
well, sound kind of only makes sense. i don't ****ing play guitar to look at myself play. (i still look pretty awesome, though.)

so why do you have an MG!?!?!
My guitar tone is usually processed a lot. It goes through my comp and a bunch loads of effects so it doesn't really matter what guitar i'm using as long as its got a clean heavy tone.

So therefore i go for the look. I like Les Pauls.
Just can't afford one!
Looks attract me to it, sound is why I like it.

Feel and playability also play a factor.

I certainly wouldn't by a guitar that didn't meet all the required fields.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I bought a Hello Kitty guitar because it had a sexy pink finish on it, but to my surprise when I plugged it into my Fender 1968 Deluxe Reverb it had an incredible tone too!
Sound can be changed/improved/****ed with, looks on the other hand...its pretty costly to get that changed. I'd rather buy a guitar that feels good, looks good and sounds terrible, than something that has amazing tone and makes everyone including me have to put on sunglasses to see it...and I'm not talking about the brightness factor either. I can always change a pickup here and there, or improve my amp.
Both. Why would I want an ugly guitar? And why would I want a sexy guitar that sounds like sh*t? Wouldnt make sense.
definitely a combination of the two
but sound is what most guitarists aim for first
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
the finish on my PRS is pretty ugly.... the birds are sweet...but yellow? Please.

I got it for the sound. I'd definitely get a red or black one first.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Says it all. If I can't play the guitar well, I wouldn't want it.
What can we do with a canoe that will make people say, "Oh No, What's Wrong With Them?"
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Actually feel and comfort is what i got for.
sound wouldn't matter much as long as its loud and clean. My comp and amp will manage the rest.
I like the Les Paul cuz its got a short neck so its easier to play chords on it n all.
I don't like my Ibanez cuz it has developed a horrible fret buzz, and basically cuz of its long neck, i need to move quite a lot on the fretboard n its not the most comfortable guitar to play chords and riffs on.
Luckily the guitars that sound the best to me also look good. Sound is the reason I go for it though, for sure.
Sound and feel equally important, looks are secondary.

I'd probably actually say I'd compromise a little bit on tone in order to get a guitar that I feel more comfortable playing. You can adjust tone with the use of different techniques/string attack, choice of strings, amp and effects, but a guitar that feels like ass will always feel like ass.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I go more for the feel of it. How the body rests, width of the neck, space of frets, how close the strings are, fret access, where the sweet spots are for pinches, etc.

Looks you can change (the finish at least) and sound is mostly amp and effects anyway.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Artemis Entreri
the finish on my PRS is pretty ugly.... the birds are sweet...but yellow? Please.

I got it for the sound. I'd definitely get a red or black one first.

yeah it looks like a throat sweetie (candy for sore throats)
I still think looks are more important because no one (on a budget) should buy a guitar without thinking of the modifications you'd make to improve the sound and make it your own. Swapping pickups, strings, amps, effects and the like... but, if you're rich as hell and can buy a $2000 guitar that already has everything perfect... I guess you're easy to please.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
i bought my squier when I was a noob because I though it looked cool (hey, it wasnt a strat...)
I bought my acoustic because it was cheapest one they had in the store

I've only really been playing the acoustic for the past year

if I dropped a big wad of cash on a better guitar it would have to deliver the entire package, feel nice, look cool and sound great
The feel.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
It's really a combination of the two. As much as I see a guitar as a musical instrument, it's also a piece of art to me. It should be beautiful to look at, play and hear.
sound and feel of course!

i just happened to luck out with my sexy purple strat =)
Feel.

If it's something that I'm linked to soul-to-soul, I can get any sound out of it that I like. The guitarist does not choose the guitar, the guitar chooses the guitarist.
I'm not going to buy a beautiful guitar with a bad sound
I'm also not going to buy a guitar with beautiful sound that looks like sh** unless I'm a session guitarist or something

My point is, I'm not dependent on either
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
There should be a choice on the poll that says "both." Since there isnt, i'm not voting.

Edit: As other people have said, feel is also a very important factor.
usually the sounds. im rarely drawn to playing an ugly guitar, but if i had heard it sounds good i might give it a try in the store. i learned the hard way though that buying a guitar that looks ****ing gorgeous is a mistake if you've never heard it

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Can't you just replace the pickups whenever you want if you aren't satisfied with the tone?

How much of a difference does the type of wood the guitar's made of actually make on the tone?
Page 1 of 2