Price range: £400

Does anyone know of any good sounding guitars that would be excellant for Japanese rock? I want something that can sing with great lead tones. My amp is a Frontman 15 G. I went to the guitar shop today and the guy showed me a Fernandez for exactly £400 but just wanted to see what you guys thought. I currently have been playing with my Starter pack guitar (fender squier) for the past 6 yrs and now I think it's time for a change lol let me know what you guys think

Thanks

ShogunRonin.
Definitely a new amp first, maybe new pickups for the squier as well, then it would work pretty well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
What bands were you looking at? That would help on figuring out what type of amp you'd want to get.
amp>guitar But as you said "Guitar for Japanese rock" with 400 dollars a nice Washburn with good single coils but a new amp would be nice aim for a Marshall 25+ watt(personal opinion)
Last edited by Felttoaster at Aug 28, 2008,
well, there's a lot of j rock out there. are you looking for a sound like the pillows, or like dir en grey. or however you spell it. not being deep into j rock, i'm only going to be so much help, but guitar wise, fenders, rickenbackers, and other brands that've been around awhile are big with a few of the more popular bands. maybe the odd harmony or danelectro.
from what i can tell from wikipedia, dir en grey seems to be sponsored by esp.
something with single coils, not sure on what amps they use, but effects might matter more.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
I play alot of X Japan and Versailles and Hizaki Grace project. Do you people really think I should start off with getting a new amp? will that improve the tone more than a new guitar? I use a Boss Me-50 effects pedal also if that is any help

no one can tell me they didn't think Hello Kitty when they read the title...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
get a jackson!!!! j/k. in all honesty your choice of pickup will make the most difference as far as tone. a guitar with a splitcoil humbucker at the bridge and neck would give you the most tone options

new amp? well, tho it would help to have at least a single 12" speaker its not neccesary to get good sound(i'm assuming you're just jammin around the house)

The boss me is a good unit, but a good boss GT would do so much more for your tone options and no i'm not sayin that just cause i have one for sale.

thats just my 2 cents.
Quote by jdr94
get a jackson!!!! j/k. in all honesty your choice of pickup will make the most difference as far as tone. a guitar with a splitcoil humbucker at the bridge and neck would give you the most tone options

new amp? well, tho it would help to have at least a single 12" speaker its not neccesary to get good sound(i'm assuming you're just jammin around the house)

The boss me is a good unit, but a good boss GT would do so much more for your tone options and no i'm not sayin that just cause i have one for sale.

thats just my 2 cents.

A good amp is the core of any good tone. Your advice sucks.
And Boss me??? Wtf.

Dont listen to this guy.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
personally the most ideal combo would be either an ESP or a PRS with a Hughes & kettner amp, but if you don't have the money, look for a decent 2nd hand Hughes & kettner amp (not necesarily a big one) and if you have the money, and like playing on your squier, change the pickups on it.

Malmsteen rocks dimarzios, and alot of other folks like SD's, or maybe a 2nd hand set of vintage fender coils, your choise
Quote by ShogunRonin
I play alot of X Japan and Versailles and Hizaki Grace project. Do you people really think I should start off with getting a new amp? will that improve the tone more than a new guitar? I use a Boss Me-50 effects pedal also if that is any help

OK, so the tone you're after isn't really that unique, just a pretty hard rock tone? Pretty modern?

You're after an American voiced modern amp, in my opinion. This really isn't my strong area, but it's much more the domain of certain people on here. Perhaps a good option would be to check out the Laney LC30.

Definitely check that out. Keep your guitar for now, but you'll probably want some humbuckers later, or maybe some stacked single coils for your Squier. But yeah, check out the Laney.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I play jrock and the setup I got worked for me. I use a Schecter Omen 6 Diamond Series with a VOX AD 30 VT amp. Works great. I play GazettE, Dir En Grey, Siam Shade, X japan, Luna Sea, etc.
Quote by Walternativo
A good amp is the core of any good tone. Your advice sucks.
And Boss me??? Wtf.

Dont listen to this guy.

shut up fool. and pay attention to the post. i mentioned the boss me cause thats what hes currently using. he would get a wider tone range using somethin like the boss gt.
i know a good amp amp is the core of good tone, but he didnt say if he was playing live or just recording.
not everyone can go buy a jcm and though a great amp would make his squire sound better. i never said he shouldnt get an amp i said it wasnt neccesary if hes jammin around the house. most that play around the house do recording at home, but dont have a protools studio with $500 mics and all so a 24bit a/d/a converter in his effects would help. my advice is alot better than " dont listen to this guy"
if you got some kind of real suggestion then give one

Thats totally japanese, they would go crazy over it/you.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC