Page 1 of 3
I'm building a strat for woodshop in school, all mahogany body and neck. With a 24 3/4" scale ebony fingerboard. There will be an sg style output on 2 on-off-coil tap switches instead of a pickups selector, no fretboard inlays, hardtail bridge, gfs dream 180 pickups, and a flamed or quilted maple top. This will be my 2nd complete strat build so I know what I'm doing. I'll prbably do most of the neck in school and most of the body at home. Here's a pic of what I'm thinking it will look like.
Quote by LP Addict
are you slotting your own fingerboard? i hope so.. have fun finding a 24 3/4'' fretboard with a fender nut slot. but if you are doing an angled headstock youl have a much better time.

I've had a guitar with a gibson type nut and straight fender headstock and it worked fine and I'm buying it slotted.
nice, i think you should go for the angled headstock. i had so much fun doing my first one on the neck-through build, it was alot better than doing the straight headstock. thats all that i used to do.
Quote by LP Addict
nice, i think you should go for the angled headstock. i had so much fun doing my first one on the neck-through build, it was alot better than doing the straight headstock. thats all that i used to do.

I would consider it but I think there stronger I never see a strat with a broken neck.
theres a reason for that. haha. strats wont break at the headstock, they will break at the body joint wayyy before they will break at the headstock. those screws are only held in by 1/64'' or so of wood.
Quote by LP Addict
theres a reason for that. haha. strats wont break at the headstock, they will break at the body joint wayyy before they will break at the headstock. those screws are only held in by 1/64'' or so of wood.

I never see the strats with broken screws even if it comes loose a toothpic and some glew and it's fine. I broke the head on my sg a few months after getting it and it wouldn't have hurt the strat at all.
Wow, 24 3/4" scale Strat? Cool. I like the plan.

I think you think like I do. Love the sound of a Les Paul, hate the feel of it?

Check out my build in my signature if you haven't seen it. It's a Mahogany/Maple body with an all Maple neck.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by LP Addict

Thats still more than a set neck, no?

To break the headstock its gotta be end grain on the angle or a joint, pretty much. You're gonna wreck a Fender neck if you try to break that area.

I love repairing Gibsons with broken headstocks. It's good money and pretty consistent work.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Wow, 24 3/4" scale Strat? Cool. I like the plan.

I think you think like I do. Love the sound of a Les Paul, hate the feel of it?

Check out my build in my signature if you haven't seen it. It's a Mahogany/Maple body with an all Maple neck.

Yeah I love the sound but don't like the feel to much, sg's are awesome too but I'm looking for something different. Your build looks nice I'll look at it more later.
Just got the stuff from guitarfetish today and the nut. The nut isn't tall enough for the fingerboard I'm getting so I'm going to make one out of corian and put the graphite nut on my epi sg. THe order from stewmac is supposed to come tomorrow so hopefully I can get started routing for the truss rod.
Quote by LP Addict
is that a dreamtron pickup?
look at Doeringer for truss rods, the stew mac ones are absolutely horrible.

yes it's a dreamtron
Thanks, I already ordered the stewmac one though, on my last build I used one and it broke and I dug it out of the neck and planed the fretboard back. I sent pics and explained what happened to stewmac and they told me I should have told them before and they would have sent me one of the $230 truss rod rescue kits but since I already got it out they sent me the parts. I'll try Doeriger for the next guitar though I've been thinking I might make a tele to match this if it turns out good. If the truss rod breaks I guess I get a free rescue kit out of it though.
Quote by LP Addict
the doeringer rods are nice hardened steel, and they are 12 dollars each. great truss rods. standard 1/4'' route, not a lame-ass size that you need a special bit for.

They are probably better, I have a 1/4" bit that was sharpened a few times and fits great that's what I used for this truss rod on my last strat build so I'm set.
gibson headstocks break because they dont scarf them... it's one big piece... scarf joint and angled headstock ftw
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
sounds good man, looking fforward to seeing this stuff. i dont know if you need mahogany or not, ive got one body blank left for half of stew macs price. not trying to throw a sales pitch, but i want someone to buy it before i cut it in half for a neck-through =/
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
gibson headstocks break because they dont scarf them... it's one big piece... scarf joint and angled headstock ftw

no gibson scarfs them fender doesnt my epiphone sg's neck broke and it's scarfed
Quote by LP Addict
sounds good man, looking fforward to seeing this stuff. i dont know if you need mahogany or not, ive got one body blank left for half of stew macs price. not trying to throw a sales pitch, but i want someone to buy it before i cut it in half for a neck-through =/

thanks but my dad's a cabinet maker and he's getting me the wood
I got the stuff from stewmac today and my dad got me a piece of mahogany for the neck and was able to start working on it.

test rout for the truss rod

routing for truss rod

routing the channel on the end of that neck sucks doesnt it? haha.

i get my fingerboards from thesame place, pretty damn expensive. i found a guy on EBAY who does them for 20 dollars, free shipping. hes not on there anymore though.
Quote by LP Addict
routing the channel on the end of that neck sucks doesnt it? haha.

i get my fingerboards from thesame place, pretty damn expensive. i found a guy on EBAY who does them for 20 dollars, free shipping. hes not on there anymore though.

Not really it's pretty easy now that it's my 2nd strat like this I pretty much know how to do everything for the neck atleast routing the body shouldn't be too hard though it'll be my first without a pickguard. I don't think it's that bad of a deal for ebony which is expensive already precut. The other 2 ebony fretboards I got from them looked better though.
I forgot to mention I'm doing a reversed headstock too.
Wow man looks great. That is a huge piece of mahogany!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
oh no i meant the tip of your route is a slittle sloppy, my edge guide always falls of just alitttleee bit to make it ugly, good thing the fingerboard covers it. still sexy though, most definitely, cant wait to see it done.
Quote by LP Addict
oh no i meant the tip of your route is a slittle sloppy, my edge guide always falls of just alitttleee bit to make it ugly, good thing the fingerboard covers it. still sexy though, most definitely, cant wait to see it done.

Oh lol I wasn't too sure what you meant
It actually wasn't too bad it's just getting the end of the truss rod in there because it was a little bigger then the rout.
I have to start the neck over because I made it too thin while shaping it. I'm not sure weather I'll make it regular or reversed headstock. Anyways not too big of a deal this is getting easier every time and the machines are still set up for it just lost a couple hours work. I'll still be fretting it monday or tuesday.
HOLY SHIT WHAT THE ****!!!> THAT'S THE BEST IDEA EVER!!! **** YOU I WANT THAT GUITAR.

ok whew. i'm all pumped for you. shit if i saw a guitar like that, i'd buy it in no time. do you like the natural look? i'd personally stain it like black or something or maybe green?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
HOLY SHIT WHAT THE ****!!!> THAT'S THE BEST IDEA EVER!!! **** YOU I WANT THAT GUITAR.

ok whew. i'm all pumped for you. shit if i saw a guitar like that, i'd buy it in no time. do you like the natural look? i'd personally stain it like black or something or maybe green?

thanks
I like the natural look but flamed maple and black does look awesome
Quote by LP Addict
you man i just satin lacquered a mahogany neck...

my god.

no grain filler or anything, you gotta do it man, nothing feels like this.

That's what it's going to be I don't think there will be any grain filler either. I'm having the finisher at my dad's work (he's a cabinetmaker) do it for me and it comes out professional instead of how crappy it would if I did it.
Here's about where I left off before I messed up.
The truss rod rout done this is the first one that came out perfect the truss rod needed to be hammered in a little bit.

neck drawn out

cutting the neck

rough cut ready to sand

Shaping the back of the neck I did most of this with 80 grit sandpaper on a disc sander the spokeshave didn't work to well on it. It came out great bigger than a fender neck feels a lot more like a Gibson neck. It came out a lot better than the one on my last build.

drilling tuner holes

Using the jointer to thin the headstock to a half inch. My dad did this I didn't want to mess it up.

The blade was kind of dull and it splintered out so we used the belt sander and hand sanded it to fix it.

Quote by LP Addict
you should mask your truss rod route when you glue the fingerboard on. if the glue gets between those two bars it could be broken

I did just didn't get a pic of it.
Page 1 of 3