Hello,

I was shopping around for a tube amp in the ~$200 range. The Fender Champ 600 and Epiphone Valve Junior sounded like crap to me, so I decided to buy used. I found a 1980 Fender Vibro Champ at a local music store (Squid Music in Stanton, CA) for $289.99. It had a few issues: power cable and a couple of capacitors needed replacement. It was also missing one of the screws that held the chassis to the case. I managed to knock it down to $250 out the door!

Anyway, here it is:

I don't think I am going to clean it up as I love the look. My father and I fixed up the electronics (replaced some caps and the power cable). The stock Fender tubes were performing nicely, but we replaced the input (one 12AX7) and output (one 6V6) tubes (not sure of the official name, but that's what we call them in my language) with more modern higher quality ones. The sound is epic! I may get a sample up eventually, but probably not as I'm still terrible so I would not be able to play for more than a few seconds without making errors

Another thing I did was take out the 12AX7 vibrato tube. If left in, the amp would oscillate a negligent noise (even if vibrato was turned down to 1). I will put it back in eventually.

Even sounds *ok* with some of the effects on the RP250.

I am going to eventually replace the speaker and buy a good distortion pedal. But I am currently owe some people $40, so that's not going to happen for a while. College is expensive >.<

Anyone know of any other mods I can add?

* I had tubes lying around at work that haven't been used in years. Will try a 6L6 in there after I get a better speaker.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Quote by Mike!
hey, keep it the way it is....or you can "blackface" it.

What does that mean?

EDIT: never mind, looked it up. I might do that, but I like the sound as it is for now.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Last edited by KolosoK at Aug 29, 2008,