i have a marshall mg30dfx (i know its not good, dont bother telling me to get a new amp, im workin on it). i was wondering if anybody could give me some suggestions as to what to set my eq to. i would like a good all around rythm tone. oh yeah i play a standard tele.
Quote by recklessnick
i googled hardcore about two years back hoping to find some wanking action but instead, i found comeback kid and i couldnt tell the difference

Quote by Saffron_Inferno
u have been molested...congrats.

Marshall MG30DFX
Standard Telecaster
'72 Deluxe Telecaster
Well, we don't even know what music you play...

Tweaking an MG to sound alright is hard, but it is possible.
What are your current settings, and what is wrong with the tone you have now?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i go between pop punk like mest and sum-41, to hardcore (?) like the devil wears prada. and i have a seymour duncan dual blade humbucker in the bridge position XD
and my settings are: gain-9 bass-9.5 contour-6.5 treble-8.5
Quote by recklessnick
i googled hardcore about two years back hoping to find some wanking action but instead, i found comeback kid and i couldnt tell the difference

Quote by Saffron_Inferno

Marshall MG30DFX
Standard Telecaster
'72 Deluxe Telecaster
Well, is your tone too muddy at the moment, or is it too bright, too hollow, etc.?
But yeah, start at 12 o clock with all the controls and just add and cut to taste.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well, compared to what i listen to and want to play, it just sounds, bleh. the loudest ive ever played it is 1/3 though, and doesnt different volumes change the way your eq sounds? i think ive heard that before.
Quote by recklessnick

Quote by Saffron_Inferno

Marshall MG30DFX
Standard Telecaster
'72 Deluxe Telecaster
1/3 volume should be fine. On any amp you want to have at least a bit of volume to at least get the speaker working a little bit. Otherwise it will just sound... blegh.

Also, your gain may simply just be too high. Start with it at 5 and adjust to taste. The biggest mistake people make when EQ-ing an amp is cranking up the gain. It muds up your sound and leaves your tone a buzzy, fizzy mess.
should i also have my tone knob and pick up selector set to a certain position?
Quote by recklessnick

Quote by Saffron_Inferno

Marshall MG30DFX
Standard Telecaster
'72 Deluxe Telecaster
Alright, so spend a while EQing it.
Start at all the controls at noon, and just cut and boost.
If you can't find anything you like, you may need a better amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Bridge will generally give you the most clarity, neck will give you the most clarity.

If mud is your problem, you're best off keeping your volume and tones wide open. Its funny actually, the way the volume pots work, it basically strips your high end when you roll the volume off and robs your sound of brightness and clarity.