Good evening.
I've been playing guitar on and off for about a year. well i took a class in school 2 years ago, but only got my stuff a year ago, so i'll go with that. I have a Squier Standard Stratocaster, which i like for it's playability, and a fender frontman 15G. Not very good stuff, but I've enjoyed learning on it. I also have a Low end crybaby wah pedal. I play Blues, rock, classic rock that sort of thing. Hendrix, Zep, Velvet underground that's the kind of music i listen to. Fairly broad range, but I don't want a high gain metal setup. Don't really need to be able to paly velvet underground type things, but i just thought i'd throw it in. So I was wondering what I should upgrade first. I was thinking amp, as My guitar isn't great, but my amp is what drives my tone really, and I like the sound and look of Strats...even if this is a squire. So Suggestions...please?
EDIT: Maybe a pickup replacement suggestion in combination with amp. My budget would probably be 4-5 hundred, depending on what i was getting.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
i have the same setup

while i long for an RG i know i need the amp first...... so yeah. get the amp. you could upgrade to a $23840328 gibson and it will still sound like crap through the frontman
For $500 you could upgrade both.
I believe used Fender MIM Strats are roughly $300 and you could get a fair amp for $200
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
if all you need is a small practice amp i know for a fact that the Kustom Tube 12 is perfect for low-volume blues and classic rock with a price tag of 100-150 USD. then you could spend some money and upgrade your guitar too. or you could spend it all on a used Peavey Classic 30.
I live in Canada, which blows for getting new or used stuff. I want to stick mainly to new, especially for amps...I was looking at epiphone valve specials? Any comments on those? look a little better than the valve junior, with just volume. Any pickup upgrade suggestions?
Quote by Mister.Y

hows about a randall rx120h head and rx412 half stack combo?
Quote by recklessnick
i googled hardcore about two years back hoping to find some wanking action but instead, i found comeback kid and i couldnt tell the difference

Quote by Saffron_Inferno
u have been molested...congrats.

Marshall MG30DFX
Standard Telecaster
'72 Deluxe Telecaster
Hmmm, reviews not bad for the price, but i'm kind of looking at tubes/combos, for the sake of space and tone.
Quote by Mister.Y

If you go used you can probably get a great rig... (Both guitar and Amp)...

www.craigslist.com

The thing is... Yes, 75% of your tone will come from your amp... but for 400-500, and only playing a year... Tone and perfect sound come second to learning to play well.

I'd recommend getting a new guitar just because it'll help you play a much better and it'll encourage you to play more (Let's face it, new guitars are fun stuff!).

You can get a Paul Reed Smith SE line guitar for 500 (less if used!) and they're really great guitars... I mean, they're made in Korea (I think) but they're fantastic quality... It'll give you a great vintage-ish/Classic rock tone, but will break away from the twangy single coils...

P.s. I'm drunk as ****!
Quote by roshjosh
If you go used you can probably get a great rig... (Both guitar and Amp)...

www.craigslist.com

The thing is... Yes, 75% of your tone will come from your amp... but for 400-500, and only playing a year... Tone and perfect sound come second to learning to play well.

I'd recommend getting a new guitar just because it'll help you play a much better and it'll encourage you to play more (Let's face it, new guitars are fun stuff!).

You can get a Paul Reed Smith SE line guitar for 500 (less if used!) and they're really great guitars... I mean, they're made in Korea (I think) but they're fantastic quality... It'll give you a great vintage-ish/Classic rock tone, but will break away from the twangy single coils...

P.s. I'm drunk as ****!

I agree the guitar is important in the beginning.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Go for the amp first. I started off with my Microcube and take it for granted a lot.

One of my friends has a Frontman 15G and the best way I can describe the drive channel is 'fizzypiss'.

I play a lot of Zep, and I wanted to upgrade to something like a Blackheart Little Giant or Peavey Windsor, but I'm limited to playing at low volumes so my Microcube gets close enough for now.
Alright, any other amp suggestions? Looked at the Fender Super Champ XD, Epiphone Valve junior? Thanks for the guitar input, I think I'll get a new amp first, followed shortishly by a new guitar. And yes, i agree that nothing will make me sound good if I play like ****. Thanks for all your input so far.
Quote by Mister.Y

If you are considering an amp in the 2-300 range, basically what I have found is -

Vox AD Modeler series - Low-mid gain tones sound pretty good, not very good for high gain unless you've got serious pickups. If you have high output pickups its probably do-able.

Roland Cube 30/60 - High gain modes are great, low-mid gain modes are okish. The fender channel is pretty good for clean blues. The acoustic mode is kind of fun to play with. Basically would only recommend it to metal type guys.

The obvious answers are marshall mg or line 6 spider 3 are not recommended. I tend to agree with this.