I really have no clue how people come up with lyrics. I mean with music there's only so many notes so eventually I can come up with something that sounds good. But it obviously doesn't work that way with lyrics.

Seriously, how do you guys come up with lyrics? Where the hell do I start??
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
dude theres hundred of notes! Explaining a riff is like explaining why sex is good, it just is. As for lyrics dont ask me i can only really wright one type of music, but the whole theres only so many notes made my want to cry.
lol, thanks for my new sig.

I guess I worded that wrong. What I mean is, with a basic knowledge of music theory you can mess around and come up with a nice melody/song. With an amazing knowledge of the English language, you still can't open up a dictionary and pick random words that sound good together in a song.

So songwriters: How do you come up with lyrics? How did you first get started?
Quote by Trowzaa
Last edited by vartanspartan at Aug 29, 2008,
Gotta love all the great replies...
Quote by Trowzaa
Um this is a difficult question to answer. It should be simple but it isn't. I started when I was in seventh grade (so I was 13) and now I'm 17. Your lyrics will be bad at first, honestly I think it just takes lots of practice and eventually you get good. At least thats how it worked for me even though I started pretty early. My only other is advice is to just be honest in your writing. Some people try way too hard and it shows.

Also, (granted I don't know your taste in music and what music your trying to write) if reading/literature isn't your thing; I would suggest listening to some artists that have really clever lyrics and such, load up on Dylan, Leonard Cohen, the deeper Beatles stuff (Lennon/Harrison), and Conor Oberst from Bright Eyes is pretty phenomenal as well. Just get kind of an idea of how you can say what's on your mind and make it appealing to others.
Last edited by WhereArtEsteban at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by vartanspartan
lol, thanks for my new sig.

I guess I worded that wrong. What I mean is, with a basic knowledge of music theory you can mess around and come up with a nice melody/song. With an amazing knowledge of the English language, you still can't open up a dictionary and pick random words that sound good together in a song.

So songwriters: How do you come up with lyrics? How did you first get started?

You're doing it wrong. Don't use a dictionary. Write words or phrases that are just in your head. It'll probably start out like some kind of weird subconscious/association game, but slowly you'll build lines with a degree of meaning.

Or just think of a place, then people, then what they're doing, etc. Describe it.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
You're doing it wrong. Don't use a dictionary. Write words or phrases that are just in your head. It'll probably start out like some kind of weird subconscious/association game, but slowly you'll build lines with a degree of meaning.

Or just think of a place, then people, then what they're doing, etc. Describe it.

I didn't mean I would actually use a dictionary. I was just making a point.
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by vartanspartan
I didn't mean I would actually use a dictionary. I was just making a point.

I didn't really think you did, but I was saying you can do it, just not quite like that.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT