My budget is 700. I want a good amp, that will last me maybe 5 years. I'm just a HS student, so i don't really need to worry about the best gear, yet. I want something for good leads, and to get those Iron-Maiden-like dual-synthesized tones, as well as deep, heavy riffs from the death metal and hardcore genre. I also like a good range of effects. Feel free to add some pedals, particularly: distortion, flanger, delay, reverb, chorus, phaser and wah. Off course, my first priority is the amp, and i can always buy effects later.

My gear:

Standard Fender Strat HSS
Boss DS-1
Cheap 15-watt amp
Where is the general area that you are located? Because depending on where you live, you can find some good deals on Craigslist.

Things to look for that will go at a price within your range (assuming you mean $700)

Peavy Ultra
Peavey 5150
Genz Benz El Diablo
Krank Revolution
Ampeg VH-104
B-52 AT-212
Peavey Windsor
Peavey Valveking

Amoung others.
Why not try a Peavey ValveKing? They're relatively inexpensive tube amps with decent cleans. Distortion-wise they're not so great, but of course you can always add a distortion pedal to balance things out.
How picky are you about tone anyway? I consider myself rather picky with good tone and based on all the amps I've tried out under $1,000, I really didn't like any.
Peavey Valveking or a Randall RG50TC with an overdrive pedal or a Bugera 6262. That's if you want to buy new. If you can go used maybe a Peavey 5150/6505.
Quote by imgooley
Where is the general area that you are located? Because depending on where you live, you can find some good deals on Craigslist.

Things to look for that will go at a price within your range (assuming you mean $700)

Peavy Ultra
Peavey 5150
Genz Benz El Diablo
Krank Revolution
Ampeg VH-104
B-52 AT-212
Peavey Windsor
Peavey Valveking

Amoung others.

Add an RG50tc and some Bugeras and that is a good list.
However I don't think the Windsor or valvekings are really worth looking at.
Quote by i_suck
Marshall MG100DFX with a good ditortion pedal buzzsaw.

fixed
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mcrfobtai
Add an RG50tc and some Bugeras and that is a good list.
However I don't think the Windsor or valvekings are really worth looking at.

Well, you never know.

The list was solely for used purposes as well. Windsor heads can be had for dirt cheap. As can Valvekings, so value grows as the used price goes down. I personally wouldn't mind having a VK head, though I would never use the clean channel. The most I would pay for one, though, is 300 bucks or less.

Never played a Randall, and I'm not going to recommend something I've never heard.
Try a 5150, fall in love with it, buy one used for 500 and spend the rest on a nice cab, or just buy the combo.
okay, some of you are recommending just a head. WTF!!??!!!

I heard that Bugera is a new company, but their amps are one of the finest in that price range. However, where can i find one?

The same with Mesa/Boogie. You cant find them on musiciansfriend, or the samash and guitarcenter websites.

Now, will i get the tones i want from them?(read 1st post)
Quote by Dethonator
okay, some of you are recommending just a head. WTF!!??!!!

I heard that Bugera is a new company, but their amps are one of the finest in that price range. However, where can i find one?

The same with Mesa/Boogie. You cant find them on musiciansfriend, or the samash and guitarcenter websites.

Now, will i get the tones i want from them?(read 1st post)

You can snag a few of those heads for under 500 dollars, leaving you money to grab a cab.

All those amps can do what you want, some better than others.

Look on Craigslist.

You won't find most Mesa/Boogies for under 800 bucks, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Like I said, I could find you a great deal if I knew your general area.
What imgooley and felix said. If you can find the Krank for $700, check it out, but that's quite a pipe dream imo. A 5150 combo can be found used at that price but won't leave you a ton or room for effect pedals.

Edit: What major US city do you live near deth?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by imgooley

Like I said, I could find you a great deal if I knew your general area.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/812706729.html Wow, 145 bucks, wow. Don't let Ibanez Psycho see this or your outta luck...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/809857179.html YCV50 for $500...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/msg/809361750.html Bad monkey for $25.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/818137367.html JCM800 combo, asking $950 but still, great amp.

Edit: You have a lot to check out, here is the page. http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=tube+amp&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/816027175.html Mesa Head $400, marshall cab to go with it for $300. I'd say that's worth a try...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 29, 2008,
the problem with craigslist is that it is not as safe as it is in ebay. If you get ripped off in ebay, ebay will beat the sh!t out of the seller. in craigslist, they don't care that much.

How about an unused amp. And is there such thing as a high-gain solid state?

Also, no modelling amps, please.
Quote by Dethonator
the problem with craigslist is that it is not as safe as it is in ebay. If you get ripped off in ebay, ebay will beat the sh!t out of the seller. in craigslist, they don't care that much.
I think it's safer. You can't try before you buy with e-bay whereas with craigslist you can. How can you get ripped off if you get to test the equipment?
Quote by Dethonator

How about an unused amp. And is there such thing as a high-gain solid state?

Also, no modelling amps, please.

Actually its the opposite... Ebay the seller is faceless and you have no direct contact with them. Ebay just cancels there account or so on and they will just pop right back up under a different account. With Craigslist you get the persons phone number meet them in person and get to try out the gear before you buy. Its a whole lot safer..

As for SS amps I would say 95% of them are High gain lol... But I wouldnt go that route if you want new and high gain go with Bugera....
Quote by Dethonator
Line 6 HD150?

"My budget is 700. I want a good amp, that will last me maybe 5 years."

Just mentioning the HD150 goes against everything your looking for and is one of the worst amps on the planet...

Whats wrong with our suggestions? And please dont be one of the people everyone hates on this board.. By asking for our help, having a decent budget and not using the info we give you then turn around and buy a Line 6 Spider Halfstack or MG... For the love of god dont be that guy...
No no no, i was reading the other forums and some guy mentioned it. The reviews were positive and it is in my price range. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a modelling amp. I had no idea modelling amps could also be stacks.

Some of your suggestions are just out of my price range, unless, by chance, some idiot sells it at a low price, used. How about a randall combo? Is there such thing as a GREAT amp at my price range?

And should i look towards Bugera?
Yes you should check out a Bugera. Also look at a Randal RG50c. B-52 AT as well.
i agree. Your chances of getting ripped of are greater with eBay imo. Sure there are folks on there with 5 star ratings trading gear all the time and that's fine - but you still can't try it out can you?

most of the people selling amps and musical instruments on Craigslist are musicians and mom and pop shops. Plus it is common practic to meet in public places. Obviously you would need a power outlet but a park pavillion for example usually has power outlets.

If you got to know a tech or a mom and pop shop that could be good place to meet too and you could even get a once over second opinion while you're there.
A 100-tube head for 600??? What wrong with it?

Well, if i buy the Bugera, where can i buy it? They are probably hard to find since they are new. Although, i see their advertisements on some guitar mags.