im looking to put in some new pickups in my guitar because i love the guitar itself but the pickups are really shiatty, but only problem is i dont know a whole boatload about pickups, so what kind of pickups would i want to put into my guitar. i like to play pretty much everything so i need a versatile pickup one that can play just about anything besides like metal(not really my style) for my SSH Yamaha pacifica deluxe. any suggestions?
Pick ups are a very individual thing. Generally you can't go wrong with Seymour Duncan pickups. They have tone charts and sound clips on the website to help you decide what's right for you.
In my Fender Strat, HSS I use a Pearly Gates Plus (Bridge) a Texas Special and a Duncan little 59 (in the neck) (W/ S1 Switching). I can get the nice strat tones and the fat humbucker tones. the Little 59 in the neck is warm and smooth nice for some of those sustaining Santana tones or clean Jazz riffs).
I play classic rock, some modern punk, Jazz and Blues so I need versatility. I have a few other guitars with different setups. No. 1 (Warmoth HH) is Duncan JB bride and Jazz in the neck (sounds great through my Mesa or Fender twin). No 2. (HSH) The new P-Rails from Seymour Duncan. I wired this different than the recommended way because I found the rails too weak. I use the P-90's individually and in series and Humbucking mode, I added a Texas special in the middle (on it's own switch, so I can get Strat tones). Giving me, Telecaster sounds, Statocaster sounds, P-90 sounds and classic thick humbucker tones. How's that for versatility? ;-) I also like the Duncan 59's (full humbuckers) and PRS Dragon II's.

Unless you want to keep the guitar original, you can always route it for an HSH or HHH or anything else you may want.

What amp are you using? If it's a solid state, odds are you won't hear the subtle differences in pickups.
Last edited by scottb630 at Aug 29, 2008,
yeah im playing through a Marshal MG250DFX ( i know like 98% of the ppl on here hate them but i love it) i just want to put something in there that will give me a crisper sound without all the annoying electrical interference these pieces of crap get. but yeah as i stated earlier versatility is a must i usually play alot of modern, indie, classic and a little bit of punk rock so something that can handle that.
have you tried playing "better guitars",are you sure you don't just like your pacifica because that's all you're used to, and you haven't really tried anything of a better quality. to tell you the truth, from an objective point of view it is a complete waste of money to switch pups in a starter guitar like that.
i have played better guitars and idk theres just something about this guitar i like the sound of it, i just need something to clean it up a bit, i understand where you're coming from though
Quote by forsaknazrael
New pickups won't make much of a difference through your amp. You'd be wasting your money.

fact

ts, as much as you love your amp, new pups won't do much for you.
Quote by forsaknazrael
New pickups won't make much of a difference through your amp. You'd be wasting your money.

+1
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
New pickups will help. They might not make a big difference in your tone, but better pickups can help with other parts of your playing. Good pickups will pickup hammerons and stuff alot better. Every part of your gear affects your sound. Pickups will help. A new amp or pedals would help too. If you like your amp try pickups. Good pickups should get rid of the annoying electrical interference you mentioned before.
Seymour duncans are good. can i recommend emg? great for heavier stuff... like metal haha.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
They might not make a big difference in your tone, but better pickups can help with other parts of your playing. Good pickups will pickup hammerons and stuff alot better.

That's all dependent on technique.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Good pickups should get rid of the annoying electrical interference you mentioned before.

No. Why would it?
Shielding will help reduce hum.
Cheap pickups usually have a hum aftermarket pickups are usually quiet. I could tell a difference in both my Explorer and LTD when i changed the pickups. Yes shielding helps that too, but shielding won't eliminate all of the hum cheap pickups make.

You're pretty much saying all pickups are the same and the amp is the only thing that makes a difference. Pickups make a difference too that's why there are a million different ones to choose from. I know a good amp makes a big difference too but better pickups never hurt the sound of a guitar.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by Ekoroski
i have played better guitars and idk theres just something about this guitar i like the sound of it, i just need something to clean it up a bit, i understand where you're coming from though

If you like the sound of it, could it be the amp that don't like? Have you played through any other amps, 'cause now I'm confused because your original post says the pickups sound bad.

Edit: I would recommend, however, Seymour Duncan pickups. I find EMGs only seem to suit modern heavy metal, and DiMarzio can have a lot of midrange, which can be either very good or very bad. I find Seymour Duncans quite balanced.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Last edited by jaffawoman at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Cheap pickups usually have a hum aftermarket pickups are usually quiet. I could tell a difference in both my Explorer and LTD when i changed the pickups. Yes shielding helps that too, but shielding won't eliminate all of the hum cheap pickups make.

I disagree. He's experiencing hum because he has single coils. Bad wiring also accounts for hum, more so than the pickup is going to.

Quote by zakkwyldefan79
You're pretty much saying all pickups are the same and the amp is the only thing that makes a difference. Pickups make a difference too that's why there are a million different ones to choose from. I know a good amp makes a big difference too but better pickups never hurt the sound of a guitar.

No, I'm saying that he's likely not to notice much of a difference. Pickups DO make a difference. But most of the subtle nuances that you mentioned will only be evident through a good amp. The MG has poor dynamics and an overall sterile tone. It's not going to notice how much more sensitive the pickup is to picking dynamics, etc, etc...
Quote by forsaknazrael

No, I'm saying that he's likely not to notice much of a difference. Pickups DO make a difference. But most of the subtle nuances that you mentioned will only be evident through a good amp. The MG has poor dynamics and an overall sterile tone. It's not going to notice how much more sensitive the pickup is to picking dynamics, etc, etc...

I have a Marshall MG and I could still tell a big difference with better pickups in both of my guitars.
I know they are best with a tube amp but with the amp I have they still sound better than stock. Like said before pickups are just part of it the amp, pedals and various other gear all shape your sound. If someone likes their amp and wants new pickups you shouldn't tell them not to buy pickups and get a new amp. He might like the sound he gets from his amp and new pickups. Everyone looks for different things from their setup. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean he won't.