so i just bought a strat and i love it. my only complaint is that it the trem doesnt pull up (which isnt a big deal). i read that if you loosen the screws (mines a 6 screw model) that it rises up, becomes floating so you can pull up, but gives you tuning issues like a FR (which can't happen cause i switch tunings around a lot, which is why i didnt get a FR guitar in the first place).

is any of this true? does anyone know a way to be able to pull up without floating it, or floating it while still making it tune-stable? i dont wana do divebombs or anything, just a bit of vibrato and to pull some tap harmonics.

thanks all.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Search for how to set up a floating trem, theres a big guide on it. I only suggest that because I'm not sure how to make a synchronised bridge float, with a two point you just loosen the screws until it floats to your liking.
As far as I know, with strat tremolos the body route is not big enough for the trem to pull up in to it, so you can dive but you can only pull up as far as the route space will let you, then it just sits flush with the surface.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
As far as I know, with strat tremolos the body route is not big enough for the trem to pull up in to it, so you can dive but you can only pull up as far as the route space will let you, then it just sits flush with the surface.

Well you raise it on its bridge slightly, you only get a few mm's of pull up space, but its definitely possible.
^ yeah but we're hardly talking FR pull up, which was kinda what I was getting at

but yeah you can angle the bridge foward (but loosening the back springs) and it will give you a little pull up, but not much.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It is definatly possible, my guitar teacher's done it to his strat. However, (due to the fact there's no locking nut), there are tuning difficulties, so it's definatly possible. To do it, I assume you have to loosen the bridge slighty, and loosen the screws holding the spring plate onto the back of the guitar, don't go overboard though. Then you have to tune it up, and the trem should float slightly. However, you'd better ask someone who really knows what they're talking about.
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
You can float it, but it will give you the same problems a Floyd does, but alot worse since it isn't MADE to float. Also you would have to lubricate your nut so the strings could glide easily through it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I did it to my old Squier strat. But really, you won't be able to pitch up more than one or two notes. You want a guitar with a Floyd.
thanks for all the responses. so what im gathering is there is no medium ground, its either no pull ups, or have FR-like troubles.

is this statement pretty much correct? i dont wana yank on it like a FR, a note or 2 is just fine, i just want a nice up-tremolo effect just like if you were to do it with your finger, and some minor pull ups for harmonics.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
I have mine setup for floating, I have about 1.5 steps of pitch raising, when I pull up.
TwoString, another UGer, has his somehow setup for 2.5.

I have no tuning problems when I pull up, it's when I dive that things get wonky.

Here's my guide on tuning stability:
There's several factors, when you're trying to keep a guitar in tune:
- Stringing technique
- proper setup
- As little friction as possible.

So let's attack these possible problems.
Friction - Your guitar has what are called string trees:

The circled metal thing keeps the string from popping out of the string nut. Useful, but they also create friction that prevents the string from returning to its proper pitch after a bend or something. So...apply some sort of lubrication to to the underside of the string tree, as pointed to by the arrow. Use something like Big Bends Nut Sauce, or Guitar Grease. Even pencil lead will work. Simply grind the pencil lead into dust on a paper, and use some of this dust on the point of friction. You can even use machine oil.
The same problem occurs at the string nut. Each groove has a bit of friction. So you can apply the same lubricant there, underneath the string, and that will help. You can also buy the appropriate replacement nut, but the nut should be made of graphite. There's less friction from that material.

Moving on to setup. There's a lot of material to cover with setup, far more than I feel inclined to go into...but I can point you towards some helpful links:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241&page=1&pp=20

Lastly, stringing technique. Yes, it's possible to string a guitar improperly. I actually mess with my Strats trem a lot, and it stays in tune really nicely. Of course, I have it lubricated at the proper points of friction and have a graphite nut, but I don't use locking tuners or anything like that. The secret? Stringing your guitar the right way! Here's a link that will show you how I do it:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

And here's a guide on floating trems:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629891&highlight=trem
awesome guides! thanks a lot.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30